News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Pro 13 (Mid 2017, i5, Touch Bar) Review

Started by Redaktion, June 14, 2017, 15:06:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Early update. Apple already updates the MacBook Pro 13 after around 8 months. Modern Kaby Lake processors and faster SSDs are supposed to provide more performance. But did the manufacturer fix some issues of the predecessor?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-13-Mid-2017-i5-Touch-Bar-Review.227154.0.html

Karolis

I think the reported RAM speeds are wrong for 13" without touch bar "LPDDR3-1866":
https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro/specs/

Andreas Osthoff

Anonymous

While Apple may be boasting about their impressive sequential read and write speeds of the SSD, their claims don't seem to match up. According to the small text at the bottom of the product page they achieved up to 3.2 GB/s read and 2.2 GB/s write sequential speed with FIO-2.19 (best case scenario). Knowing that a bigger SSD will help, still the 256 GB that is tested here is quite far of the mark.

Now the CrystalDiskMark and AS-SSD benchmarks have been performed on Windows probably via bootcamp. It could be that due to 'not so optimized' drivers specific to the storage controller could result in less extracted performancein Windows. It would be interesting to find a similar storage benchmark suite that would run natively in MacOS and compare the results.

Many other reviewers have all boasted the same PR talk telling how amazingly fast the SSD is without actually some serious benchmarking. Yes the sequential speeds are still very respectable. But the 4k Read and Write metric which is also very important and probably very representative of regular use is awful compared to the competition. Apple really screwed that up.

Also provided all things equal, the CPU should be slightly more efficient, but less battery runtime compared to the previous model. That is a huge bummer. What is Apple doing?

Keep up the good work! I will be following along the updates.

Sambit Saha

Can you please review the base model Macbook Pro 2017 (2.3Ghz i5) ?

StevenZ

Hi, I'm a master in British and my major is computer science, I wanna to buy a macbook pro 15 now and my expectation is 2.9Ghz i7 and 512G SSD, I don't know whether the configure is enough or not because I want to use it longer for three or four years. So could you give me some advice? By the way, do you know the runtime of this configuration? Because sometimes I need to go to the classroom and prepare my paper, so it is necessary for me to have a longer battery runtime.

alex_xela

Hi, may you please check the new keyboard when machine is warm/hot?
The problem like "Keyboard Clicking/Sticking When Machine is Warm" happened on the mbp 2016 late.

aeronatis

Very good review as expected. One minor correction required though:

"Apple advertises a performance boost of 50% in the new MacBook Pro 13."

This is only the case for the "MacBook", therefore it means only for the 12" model, the SSDs are upgraded.

Alfonso

Hi. I'm also very interested in the non touch bar (function keys) 13" macbook pro. Is it too much asking a deep review on the 2.3 GHz unit like the one you did with the 2016 2.0GHz MacBook Pro?

I'm very interested in the Battery Life aspect of the 2.3GHz, because I doubt the 7360U Kaby Lake CPU -with a max frequency of 3.6GHz- and the new 2133MHz Memory RAM, will keep the same autonomy with the exactly same 54.5W/hour battery.

Also, I'm interested in the heat of this unit, again because of its much higher clockspeed both minimum and Turbo boosted.

I'm very interested, because right now there are discounted 2016 nTB MacBooks form 2016, and due to its incredible battery life and low speed (and low temperatures) are of interest for many of us.

Also, it would be nice you to check the keyboard and compare both, the 2016 and 2017 just in case Apple made some small tweak to it.

But mainly, battery life on web browsing and battery life on full speed, and check out any throttle issue, please.

Thank you in advance.

Klaus Hinum

The other MacBooks of the 2017 lineup are also planned for review, but we might wait for our partner shops to get them in stock for us to review. Sadly no review samples from Apple directly currently, but on the other hand that means no dedicated press samples that might be cherry picked, so stay tuned.
Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

Alfred

I'm conflicted. How does the touch bar model with the more efficient kaby lake
processors have worse battery life? That doesn't make any sense. This is
frustrating because I expect excellent battery life from the 13 inch laptops - I'd gladly purchase the non touch bar model if not for the 4 ports, touchID, faster wifi etc. (not sure whether the touch bar is useful or not). By the way, what brightness level does 150 nits correspond to? The macbook pro has a maximum brightness level of about 550 nits - shouldn't the test be performed at 75% brightness like apple does their tests?

Klaus Hinum

150 nits is -4 brightness settings (of 15), so quite similar to the 75% and we of course use a comparable brightness level across all devices. Otherwise dimmer laptops would have an advantage.
Wurde Dir von einem in unserem Forum oder durch Notebookcheck geholfen? Dann verfass doch einen User Testbericht über dein Notebook und gib damit etwas an die Community zurück!

RichB

Apple is selling refurb 2016 2.9 Ghz MacBook Pros for $400 less than a new 2017 model. Any comments on whether the improved performance is worth $400?

Lenutvo

Quote from: Alfred on June 19, 2017, 00:52:11
I'm conflicted. How does the touch bar model with the more efficient kaby lake
processors have worse battery life? That doesn't make any sense. This is
frustrating because I expect excellent battery life from the 13 inch laptops - I'd gladly purchase the non touch bar model if not for the 4 ports, touchID, faster wifi etc. (not sure whether the touch bar is useful or not). By the way, what brightness level does 150 nits correspond to? The macbook pro has a maximum brightness level of about 550 nits - shouldn't the test be performed at 75% brightness like apple does their tests?

The touchbar models uses 28 Watt processors and uses 2 fans to cool the chips whereas the non-touchbar models uses 15 Watt processors and 1 fan to cool the chips.  You can see how the touchbar model may feature less battery life given it is nearly double the TDP of the touchbar model and may or may not feature a smaller battery.

ac

(part in response to Apple SSD comment and also points out why Apple may prefer unusual CPU choices with wider clock operating range)

This site does great job already but some of the commenters may wish to start thinking things more broadly:

eg. How long does say 3 LBS device stay usable, using wifi at outdoor readable brightness, viewing say Twitch stream. Or what about streaming into twitch?

Why I say that? Well if you consider that complete scenario, it may well turn out that things like CPU speed and SSD speed may need to actually be "regulated" such that benchmarks (unless detected and then regulation turned off... then you get "cheating!") may turn out poorer results.

eg. in this sort of scenario, if CPU clock speed is not capped, it can end up running at higher clock than what eg. twitch use actually needs. Lots of reviews indicate that 7100u that has "clock cap" and no turbo but does clock down of course, does fare better in these sort of "tricky balance scenarios" than some higher end models that end up turbo boosting when not really necessary. To further validate this I ran twitch several hours at default settings and then manually capping the clock at 1.2 Ghz instead of 2.4 max. The stream performed the same but battery life did improve measurably. (However I think bios update may have fixed something that was causing it to clock up more easily but this illustrates the point anyway - if a blend of background tasks or tabs open would have javascript in background, clock could stay above 1.2 Ghz while the foreground window task didn't actually need more than 1.2 Ghz).

So CPU,SSD, Wifi etc speed may be useful to regulate even if benchmarks suffer - most (=none) PC reviews don't normalize these benchmarks to things that you'd have to for proper balanced scenario review - such as color quality at high yet standardized brightness, white uniformity, audio quality from speakers, network latency, battery life.

ie. How much battery life you get while maintaining acceptable network latency, foreground tasks running smoothly, background tasks not causing cpu or ssd to "hurry up" for them since who cares, they are in the background. Oh wait. PC tech reviewer is the only guy who cares since they run 10 benchmarks simultaneously in a hurry to get review out. Wake up I say. That stuff only applies on desktop use.

Now to make things REALLY complicated, which device performs well in mobile studio use? Now you have to maintain low latency I-O with battery life for pen, musical keyboard input etc. Same for racing games (TMNF with 10 ms input lag is too much).

Not complicated enough? Well how about vacuum testing? I return devices if they smell like China waste dump. Not all the chemicals smell but can still affect people if not in ventilated office (residential standards don't have enough ventilation in most countries to cover for a lot of synthetic outgassing materials indoors - retail stores have massive amount of ventilation to cover up the china smell - or they would if the china stuff wasn't wrapped in air tight plastic which transfers the problem to end user).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview