News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Opinion: With the Surface Laptop, Microsoft joins Apple to push a disturbing trend

Started by Redaktion, May 12, 2017, 09:31:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Editor Douglas Black argues that designing a non-budget computer with a soldered SSD is a great leap in the wrong direction.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Opinion-With-the-Surface-Laptop-Microsoft-joins-Apple-to-push-a-disturbing-trend.219684.0.html

tipoo

Three ports, and one of them is mini displayport, of all things. USB 3 C could have carried that signal in a smaller package! And the Surface connect charger, could have been an SD card, or another USB C port, had it charged through a USB C on the other side.

I'll go this far: These are even crazier decisions than Apple. Ok, keep one USB A, that's cool. But two of three ports are bad decisions.

Douglas Black

Quote from: tipoo on May 12, 2017, 15:35:10
Three ports, and one of them is mini displayport, of all things. USB 3 C could have carried that signal in a smaller package! And the Surface connect charger, could have been an SD card, or another USB C port, had it charged through a USB C on the other side.

I'll go this far: These are even crazier decisions than Apple. Ok, keep one USB A, that's cool. But two of three ports are bad decisions.

I know people who work for both companies. the Apple ones defended the choice to only have 4 USB-C ports; the MS ones defended the choice to have no USB-C. People are funny. :)

mixedfish

This is why I supported Vaio when they were still out in force. You got the same thin and attractive design except they crammed in a full size SD slot, full size LAN, VGA, HDMI, dual USB and yes non-soldered parts.

Unfortunately the public didn't see the merits, and bought competitors that were sowing the seeds of disposable laptops. This is really the same a 'digging ones own grave'.

TobiasB

Thank for the hint. I hope I won't forget to not buy any machine with soldered ssd or ram. What a load of...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview