News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Quad-core Core i7-8650U CPU spotted on GFXBench

Started by Redaktion, May 06, 2017, 08:01:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel may be bringing quad-core ULV CPUs to notebooks for the first time. The source has since taken down the listing on the unconfirmed processor page to add more fuel to the fire.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Quad-core-Core-i7-8650U-CPU-spotted-on-GFXBench.218110.0.html

meaninc

It seems hilarious. I don't understand target customer group . Quadcore is meaningful for users who need long duration maximal performance above Turbo limits ( above 5 minutes). For short duration performance tasks it doesn't matter if the tasks is 2times slower ( Amdahl's law ignored).

If the ULV quadcore will throttle after minute, it would be useless. I don't think 8000 CPU series will be so extremely efficient that they would fit into 15W TDP. Or will there be TDP up magic? Like 6xx7U (TDP 28W, TDP up 35W)

Correct? Is there such usage scenario.

Sergey

Who is target consumer for this? Maybe people who need laptops with portability AND perfomance? How many laptops do you know with quad core CPUs that have both big batteries and low power consumption? I know NONE. So far, the only laptops with quad core processors(like dell xps 15) needed to have huge batteries in them in order to have battery life comparable to laptops with ulv dual cores. With ULV quad core cpu-s a user would have both excellent perfomance(I think on the level of quad core laptop i5-s right now) and great battery life. And no, most of ulv processors don't thottle due to low tdp. My i7 6500u stays at it's maxmum 3ghz for both cores no matter how long I push it to 100%(I convert a whole tv show to hevc h265 for weeks now and it hasn't throttled since).

andre30correia

the i7 will have 25w tdp up when plug in. This thing could work, I will wait to see benchmarks if is worth upgrade from mine i7 6500u laptop

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview