News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

New test shows Microsoft Edge is kinder than other browsers to battery life

Started by Redaktion, April 13, 2017, 21:02:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A recently-posted video shows the Edge browser beating Chrome and Firefox in terms of battery efficiency. It comes as no surprise, though; the test was run by Microsoft, which develops Edge—hardly an impartial observer.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/New-test-shows-Microsoft-Edge-is-kinder-than-other-browsers-to-battery-life.213026.0.html

Vlad

I can confirm this MS test. Indeed, they're browser is much better optimized when it comes to using resources of the system compared to Chrome (don't use Firefox at all). On a 6700HQ, with GTX950M, if I am running a 4k video on youtube, on Chrome I have 30% or more CPU usage. On the Edge, CPU usage is 1-2% and all the work is the by the GPU, which is more efficient. This is also valid when it comes to memory usage, where Edge comes ahead. I think it is kinda normal because MS is able to do better optimization on hardware resources since they know what is what inside their OS. And in the end, I must admit, Edge is the first browser from MS that is really up to par with competitors and in this battery consumption scenario even better.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview