News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Alienware releases first VR ready 13 inch notebook

Started by Redaktion, November 02, 2016, 08:57:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Alienware's new 13 inch laptop is the first 13 inch device to sport NVIDIA's GTX 1060, a VR capable video card. The notebook can also be equipped with a 2560x1440 OLED display with superior color gamut and contrast. Overall, the redesign is a compelling device from Alienware.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-releases-first-VR-ready-13-inch-notebook.182077.0.html

Ruturaj

I think 1060 is too much for laptop that size (read running a little hot in few reviews), should have used 1050 or 1050 ti. Only thing keeping me getting this is lack of Linux support. Still waiting for review from notebookcheck.

Brandon

I plan on getting this laptop soon as a replacement for my Alienware 14 (2013). Psyched at how powerful of a GPU they put in it. Might wait a few months for them to put in 7th gen processors.

Anonymous Coward

Quote from: Ruturaj on November 02, 2016, 16:40:49
I think 1060 is too much for laptop that size (read running a little hot in few reviews), should have used 1050 or 1050 ti. Only thing keeping me getting this is lack of Linux support. Still waiting for review from notebookcheck.

Too much? It's the least they should have put in. You have the MSI GS43, Razer Blade and Aorus X3 all with the 1060, and all weigh considerably less. In fact, I'm surprised Alienware opted out of using a powerful CPU like the 6820HK, which is available in the Aorus. Considering this notebook is as heavy as 15" with 1070 graphics, it really is mediocre in terms of power.

Eric

Quote from: Anonymous Coward on November 04, 2016, 02:59:37
Quote from: Ruturaj on November 02, 2016, 16:40:49

Too much? It's the least they should have put in. You have the MSI GS43, Razer Blade and Aorus X3 all with the 1060, and all weigh considerably less. In fact, I'm surprised Alienware opted out of using a powerful CPU like the 6820HK, which is available in the Aorus. Considering this notebook is as heavy as 15" with 1070 graphics, it really is mediocre in terms of power.

I don't think enough reviews exist to discuss thermal performance yet!  Right now I've seen contradictions in the few reviews online.

I agree, the 1060 is the bare min this time.  A 960M with 2GB was pretty lame last year - so they needed to aim high.  This laptop is ultimately not much different than the 15" model.  It just has less internal space to work with for battery and hard drive/ssd space (i.e., it has no room for a 2.5" drive of any type). 

Not really sure your comment about it weighing as much as the 15" makes any sense though?  It weighs nearly 2lbs less than the 15" model as I look at the specs right now.  I think what they've crammed into the tighter confines of this 13" frame are pretty incredible this year, and I agree with notebookcheck's assessment that this unit will likely be their most popular and sell quite a few this year barring any major issues. 

Moving to a quad core design, with what looks like a very robust industrial design (contributing to long term durability) - makes the 13" worlds better than last years extremely handicapped model.  The 13" last year was a no buy for me because it was dual core with a paltry 960.  The eventual OLED variant with the 4GB 965 was tempting, but I'm glad I waited for this!

That OLED screen I've read is revelatory and will change how you view computer displays forever.  I guess that's a good and bad thing!  I have one on order, so I'll try to contain my enthusiasm as more reviews come online over the next few weeks.

Anonymous Coward

Quote from: Eric on November 04, 2016, 03:17:47
Not really sure your comment about it weighing as much as the 15" makes any sense though?  It weighs nearly 2lbs less than the 15" model as I look at the specs right now.  I think what they've crammed into the tighter confines of this 13" frame are pretty incredible this year, and I agree with notebookcheck's assessment that this unit will likely be their most popular and sell quite a few this year barring any major issues. 

Moving to a quad core design, with what looks like a very robust industrial design (contributing to long term durability) - makes the 13" worlds better than last years extremely handicapped model.  The 13" last year was a no buy for me because it was dual core with a paltry 960.  The eventual OLED variant with the 4GB 965 was tempting, but I'm glad I waited for this!

That OLED screen I've read is revelatory and will change how you view computer displays forever.  I guess that's a good and bad thing!  I have one on order, so I'll try to contain my enthusiasm as more reviews come online over the next few weeks.

Sorry for confusion - I was referring to 15" models of competitors (Aorus X5, Asus GL502VS, etc etc), not the Alienware 15, which is crazy heavy for what it is too. For the 15 though, I can accept arguments like we traded off weight for ultimate performance, a stiffer chassis, or whatever argument they chose. The 13, meanwhile, is clearly a model for those who value portability most, and making it as heavy as they did is a big disappointment. And then not having it be the most powerful 13" despite that is just adding salt to the wound :(

However, I do think it's a major step in the right direction vs. the previous R2 version.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview