News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Bristol Ridge in Review: AMDs A10-9600P Against the Competition

Started by Redaktion, July 05, 2016, 07:41:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Careful Development. AMDs 7th APU generation is named Bristol Ridge. It promises greater efficiency and speeds thanks to multiple optimizations. We put the new A10-9600P APU through our rigorous test.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Bristol-Ridge-in-Review-AMDs-A10-9600P-Against-the-Competition.168477.0.html

Jonatas

Once again we see a vendor wasting a good APU on a terrible product design. Pairing a low-power APU with that low-power DGPU makes no sense, is a waste of money, a waste of space and a waste of power, all in a single product! It's clearly over-engineering when the low hanging fruit is right there. The extra cost would have been much better spent on a stronger single chip system. AT LEAST they had the common sense of pairing the APU with dual-channel memory this time. This situation is ridiculous, it's not hard to assemble a good and cheap laptop with the currently available hardware, why is it that HP, Lenovo, Dell, etc. seen completely unable to do just that? (Except, when using Intel parts, them, all of a sudden, they become enlighted! Why is that?)

PS. I had a good, cheap, single-chip design from HP in the Trinity APU days and it was great, I could run latest Crysis on it. Since then, they seem to have lost all in-house talent, I guess.

PS2. Bristol Ridge itself looks good to me and the price is right. Kudos to AMD this time.

vincentxp

as i said long time ago , low CPU suppose pair with the big capacity battery. it's dont serve any purpose if 15.6" + power supply always in beg.
i expect more vendor fair to AMD which pair with the larger battery to make AMD cpu model can last 8 hours wifi test in 15.6"
the GPU its another problem. if just only play LOL , i think APU its self can handle , if consider play other game in low resolution , its should pair with mid class GPU to make this model value of money.
i got the HP Envy 7 , i7 U + GT840m (only weak point is can't wifi more than 6 hours ), which handle game so well . i hope HP remain this design concept for AMD fans too.

Adrian

Indeed for some strange reason AMD has done the same (pairing APU + dGPU) in their previous 2 arch as well - and considering the dGPU is slower than the iGPU this makes no sense - not to mention pushing TDP to almost double.

I could understand if the dGPU were at least more performant than iGPU at same TDP so that perhaps iGPU could be switched off to give CPU part more power? Perhaps have 1 version APU only and 1 version with iGPU off but use dGPU for performance?

What AMD needs is unifiws compute units, able to run either CPU or GPU code with both CPU and GPU workloads distributed as load requires. Isn't this what the merger of AMD and ATI was supposed to bring?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview