News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 15 2016 (9550) InfinityEdge Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, December 23, 2015, 09:13:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

High-end without high-end performance. We review the new XPS 15 from Dell and have a look at the performance of the 45-Watt Core i5. Can the latter use its full potential in the flat chassis? Throttling is fortunately not the answer – at least not on mains.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-2016-9550-InfinityEdge-Notebook-Review.156354.0.html

Tecra

Nice review! Thanks for pointing out some flaws of this device. I will think twice before I buy it.
Any chance you will review the new Latitude e5470 (or e5570) any soon?

Eric

You guys clearly didn't realize the 1.6GHz is NOT throttling, but rather a bug right?  I know it's not useful to the average consumer, but Dell admitted that the XPS15 experiences a bug where as when switching on and off mains will cap the CPU to 1.6Ghz.  To rectify you simply put the XPS to sleep and then re-awake.  BAM, no more 1.6Ghz cap.  They are said to be fixing this with the next BIOS.

Eric

A couple other observations - I think I can confirm the 2.8Ghz cap for the i5, I haven't seen mine flex above this value either.  However, the heat you describe is weird, there is no way my device gets as hot as you describe in the middle of the keyboard.  Additionally, I'm not sure what you mean about some lip on the front catching dirt, there is absolutely no place between the chassis and aluminum case cover on the bottom where dirt could accumulate!!

I think I saw some of these details coming up in your review of the i7 QHD model, but I'm a little rusty on my German translation.

es

can someone test the USB type-c charging?
i read that someone tried the 60W chromebook type-c charger with XPS 13's USB type-c port, and i worked for powering and charging the laptop.
i am wondering what happens if that is plugged to XPS 15. does it power it on while charging? or does it only charger it when it is standby/poweroff ?

thisisourlunch

The response time is too slow to accept, why Dell put on this screen with GTX960m? Unable to gaming at all.

I have this model and replace once with Dell, same issue! I thought i was unlucky to get defective display twice, but now I understand it is can not be sloved unless Dell change this Sharp panel completely with another manufacture!

Scott

The United States configuration I ordered the skylake i7 non touch not the i5 maybe the i7 configuration is not available in Europe? I think the results in this article would be quite different with the i7 variant

Menix

Waited 3 month for it and called the assistance too many times that i don't even remember and every time got different answers !!!  Will never buy a Dell anymore.

JM

Hello,

Is it possible to replace later the ssd by a nvme model or will be limited to the ssd model with 4K ?

BJ

Awesome article- thanks so much for doing this.

Looking to calibrate my FHD; was there an attached link to your color-profile? It was mentioned, but didn't see the link anywhere.

nobblynobody

They've not made it very clear in this review but the adjusted colour profile is linked as the ICC file under the information box next to the screen brightness distribution graphic.  Here it is linked in case you don't find it still:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/Dell_XPS_15_2016_FHD_matt__1203M_LQ156M1_.icm

tenfootninja

Disappointed user

Stay away from this. I bought an XPS 15, the screen started developing some vertical lines a few weeks ago. I got the screen replaced. A week after that the right side of the screen went really dark and I have to send it off to be repaired again. They refuse to swap my laptop for a new one. Stay away from this unreliable piece of equipment.

Disappointed user

Stay away from this. I bought an XPS 15, the screen started developing some vertical lines a few weeks ago. I got the screen replaced. A week after that the right side of the screen went really dark and I have to send it off to be repaired again. They refuse to swap my laptop for a new one. Stay away from this unreliable piece of equipment.

WantedToLikeIt

DO NOT BUY

This laptop has some serious quality control issues.  I've had mine about two months. Out of the box, it had sound problems and the Blue Screen of Death.  It's been sent to tech support once already, along with many hours on the phone.  I burned up my 30 days trying to do the right thing and let them fix it, so now I'm stuck with an unreliable $1700 door stop.

This is really frustrating and and disappointing. I've owned Dells for many years, but I doubt I'll even buy from them again.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview