News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell XPS 13-9350 InfinityEdge Ultrabook Review

Started by Redaktion, November 05, 2015, 08:00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Skylake successor... Dell's adoption of an evolutionary approach to revising their flagship XPS 13 Ultrabook seems appropriate given the splendor of the machine's futuristic design and the universal praise heaped upon its predecessor. But can its chipset refresh and tweaks under the hood keep it perched at the top of the pile? We leave no stone unturned and no key unpressed.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9350-InfinityEdge-Ultrabook-Review.153376.0.html

idoit

:) This review is just about the touch version? In your test you mention you rereceived a non-touch version, will there be a additional review?

Su

QuoteAs such, Dell's solution was to exchange the mini-DisplayPort for a Thunderbolt 3 port instead (up to 40 Mbps bi-directional transfer rate)—which also doubles as a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port (up to 10 Mbps bi-directional transfer rate).

You've meant probably Gbps for these values ?

Steve Schardein

@Su:
LOL, yes, Gbps.  This would be the slowest Thunderbolt 3 ever if not.  ;-)  Thanks.

@i:
Personally I am not sure, however it seems we do have one in the lab as the impressions have been posted.  Sorry I cannot provide more insight; stay tuned and thanks for reading!

@idoit (no offense... heh):
Actually this one is for the non-Touch version:

"Our XPS 13-9350 review unit includes, in fact, the exact same display panel as the previous XPS 13-9343: a 1920x1080 matte IPS display panel (non-touch) measuring 13.3-inch diagonally"

Steve

valenort

River

"Judging by these scores, new games ought to be playable on low settings (and possibly at lower resolutions) on the XPS 13-9350. We tested a few older titles for comparative purposes with the rest of the field; you can find the full table below."

Is it possible for you to test the new XPS 13 also with some more demanding game (something like DA Inquisition or AC Unity)? It is one of the first laptop sporting the new Intel integrated HD 520 GPU, it would be very interesting to see whether it can handle this kind of game or not.

Thx for the wonderful review anyway!

jeff0078

FYI, people have reported that the driver that Samsung released for the 950 Pro is working for the SM951.  That should help performance and the benchmark scores.

Ty

Always come back to your thorough reviews. Thanks again. I was excited about this updated version, but it seems to be a downgrade from last years model for me since I would need a much better gamut out of the screen. 60% sRGB is horrible for graphics/photography use unfortunately.

Steve Schardein

"Always come back to your thorough reviews. Thanks again. I was excited about this updated version, but it seems to be a downgrade from last years model for me since I would need a much better gamut out of the screen. 60% sRGB is horrible for graphics/photography use unfortunately."

The book is not quite closed on this issue yet; we are scheduling a retest as we suspect that the automatic brightness adjustments may have affected our display readings in this review.  Nevertheless, I can tell you subjectively that the screen does still look quite good -- just not quite as good as the beautiful Surface Pro 4 screen I am currently staring at ;-)

"Is there any information about usb-c charging?"

I couldn't personally get it to work, but then again, I may not have the requisite provisions to do so.

"Is it possible for you to test the new XPS 13 also with some more demanding game (something like DA Inquisition or AC Unity)?"

Unfortunately, these are the newest titles I have with which to perform gaming benchmarks. :-(  I don't really do the gaming PC reviews so the focus is elsewhere in my articles.  Sorry!  And thanks for the kind words anyway.

"FYI, people have reported that the driver that Samsung released for the 950 Pro is working for the SM951.  That should help performance and the benchmark scores."

That's good to know.  I suspected it might be a driver issue at least partially.

"XPS 15 review skylake on its way?"

I think so -- but don't take my word for it as I am not doing it if so!

Steve

Tyrone Slothrop

I do not mind how good this device can be (though let me question the quality of the last Dell keyboards). Only can tell that their service, in Spain, is not good according to my standards, and even if they sell this device at 800€ (they won't!!) I will not buy it. Also I got tired of failures in last Dell notebooks, especially with the Inspiron ones, or the poor keyboard of the cheaper Latitude. If I want a good computer I bought a ThinkPad T450s and forget about fashion devices that cannot even stand the smallest drop.

destroyer

Jason B

Great article, but please be careful when comparing temperatures. They are not absolute the way you show them. You must consider the temperature of the environment in which the device is operating.

For example, 2 laptops tested: Laptop A runs at 50 C, Laptop B runs at 100 C. By your math, Laptop A is "100%" better. But if the room is at 20 C, then the actual comparison to make is Laptop A runs at a 30 C delta-T, and Laptop B runs at an 80 C delta-T.

Steve Schardein

Thanks Jason,

But room temperature was indeed taken into account.  Which comparison in particular was misleading?

Steve

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview