News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus G501JW (FHD) Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, June 27, 2015, 10:57:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Slim Gamer. Recently, we reviewed Asus' new member of the ROG series, the high-end US model. Our current model for the German market is about 600 Euro cheaper, but makes compromises in features. Nevertheless, it even performs partly better than the more expensive model we reviewed.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G501JW-FHD-Notebook-Review.145339.0.html

Trackster

QuoteSimilarly equipped noteboobs like the MSI GE60, get significantly warmer on average. The Schenker XMG A505 is an extreme example with maximum temperatures of almost 62 °C.

guess the translator was little distracted  ;)

gyoung

Have u guys tested on the PWM flicker on this model? A lot of users have this issue. Please check.. thanks

MOFO

WOW! What a letdown that this laptop performs much worse than other laptops with the same exact hardware.
Much worse !
Sure there are some bright spots but overall not that impressed especially since performance is crippled when gaming.

Allen.Ngo

Quote from: Trackster on June 27, 2015, 21:31:05
QuoteSimilarly equipped noteboobs like the MSI GE60, get significantly warmer on average. The Schenker XMG A505 is an extreme example with maximum temperatures of almost 62 °C.

guess the translator was little distracted  ;)

fixed, thanks!

Olaipai

Quote from: MOFO on June 28, 2015, 04:28:04
WOW! What a letdown that this laptop performs much worse than other laptops with the same exact hardware.
Much worse !
Sure there are some bright spots but overall not that impressed especially since performance is crippled when gaming.

If you looke closely it seems to me that games that were tested on the other systems was most likely on a SSD which improves texture loads by A LOT. That could have such a huge impact compared to the others. And also, drivers are not mentioned. So, I'm a little sceptical to the review. But most reviews got a hint of "biased tendencies" since subjective matter sometimes take a part, even when it should be objective.

HT Ryu

How do you guys calibrate the monitor? I purchased one recently, and my screen looks a little too saturated.

Ruben Carmona

I personally calibrate with a Spyder4Elite. To objectively measure your screen colors and create a reliable monitor profile you need to use such a sensor, as our eyes will always be tricked by the interpretation (white balance, etc.) of our eyes.

na

As usual drivers seem to make quite a big difference in synthetic benchmark scores. The latest driver 353.30 resulted in 3DMark 11 (P) score of 5500. However gaming scores seems to be pretty much in line with other scores for GTX 960m (4GB). The best thing is that the cooling system does a remarkable job keeping the GPU and CPU cool and keeping noise levels down.

I bought a FHD version (with 256GB SSD) for $US 1400 and came installed with a different LCD (LP156WF6-SPB1) which I ended up replacing with a B156HAN01.2.

Some criticisms of the machine:
* No keyboard back-light during windows logon.
* Smart Gesture software doesn't allow any customization to touch-pad settings.
* Keyboard has good feedback, but travel isn't as good as older laptops.

Andrea

Just to be sure, someone knows if the 128GB SSD is on pcie 4x interface? I mean, does not seem to be such a quick SSD so I would understand if replacing it with a true PCIE SSD (950 Pro for example) could lean to much better performance... Thx in advance

JasonZX

Quote from: na on July 14, 2015, 21:32:18
As usual drivers seem to make quite a big difference in synthetic benchmark scores. The latest driver 353.30 resulted in 3DMark 11 (P) score of 5500. However gaming scores seems to be pretty much in line with other scores for GTX 960m (4GB). The best thing is that the cooling system does a remarkable job keeping the GPU and CPU cool and keeping noise levels down.

I bought a FHD version (with 256GB SSD) for $US 1400 and came installed with a different LCD (LP156WF6-SPB1) which I ended up replacing with a B156HAN01.2.

Some criticisms of the machine:
* No keyboard back-light during windows logon.
* Smart Gesture software doesn't allow any customization to touch-pad settings.
* Keyboard has good feedback, but travel isn't as good as older laptops.

Hi dude, hmm can u tell us how you changed your lcd, i couldnt find any guide on replacing screen for this model.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview