News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook 850 G2 Notebook Review

Started by Redaktion, May 16, 2015, 08:27:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Quality has its price. HP demands almost 2,000 euros for its top model of the EliteBook 850 series - in return the customer receives a brilliantly manufactured business laptop with an impressive configuration. Ultimately it is the minor weaknesses that prevent the laptop from ascending the top of its appliance class.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-850-G2-Notebook-Review.142456.0.html

SteveH

Just received a 850 G2 (July 2015). Solid build, thin and light. Fast boot with SSD and 8GB RAM. The SVA FHD display is the worst display that I have ever had on a notebook ( and my notebook days go back to the 1990's).  You have to be actually below the screen to get any contrast out of it (which means it has to be tilted all the way back). And even then moving by more than 15 degrees either side and the display totally washes out. It is as if looking through a privacy filter. My 2008 / HP 8510W and 2011 / HP 8560p are by far better screens. The only thing this screen has going for it is that it is very bright. Really this screen belongs on a $200 notebook bought from the corner food market. The other problem is the docking station - it protrudes out nearly 3 inches from the right side of the PC. This puts it in the area I need to move the mouse. If I don't use the docking station then the Display port cable is in an even worse position on the right side of the case. Very un-ergonomic and very unusable again the 8560p docking station worked far better and was out of the way behind the PC.

sharoni

Hi and thx for the great reviews!
QuoteSpeaking of upgrading: If the 256 GB capacity of the installed SSD is exhausted, the laptop holds a free slot (M.2 2242) to equip it with an additional hard drive.
However the HP Service and Maintenance Guide and other searches on this model have no mention of an M.2 nor a free slot / dual (internal) drive option. And it DOES say 2.5", but only for the hard drives, while no specific slot-size mentioned at all for SSDs, only that they are SATA-3.

I think I'll get this laptop (unless the bad news about the display stops me...), but I'd like to know in advance if I can add a 1Tb hardisk or SSD or at least replace the original drive.

• 1. What is the actual slot size? (does being "SATA-3" tell us anything definitive about that?)
  • 2. Please tell me you weren't mistaken and that a dual drive option does exist :)
many thanks!

AlesO

It looks like HP chose the TN panel for longer run times on battery vs. a better wide-angle viewing angle. It might also have faster response times than an IPS panel.

http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

An IPS option at least is definitely a good idea for photographers and designers.

Very good in-depth review BTW. Thank you.

DY

Specs don't matter if the laptop has usability issues. I totally agree with above comment on screen and docking station issues. Apart from that, no keyboard backlit, up/down navigation keys are too small which is what I use 50% of the time. If you are are programmer dont buy. If only my IT team had shown a sample before purchasing them. I am stuck and my colleagues have the same complaints.

Another problem is using with external monitor. I have tried connecting it to two different models of external HP monitors (E221 and LA2405x) to extend the desktop and the font is blur (it is ok, if you choose 2nd screen or duplicate screen). Connecting via docking station provides some improvement. No issues with a Dell monitor !!

Queefburglar69

Wow, I have to say this notebook has the worst display ever! Mine has a really strong green/blue cast. However, the Windows 7 color calibration is not working all the time, seems due to buggy graphics drivers, so sometimes it looses the setting and then I'm back at the awful factory settings - a nightmare!

The display of the G1 was OK, but the G2 is a huge step backwards! I will return mine, this is completely unacceptable. Apple is successful because they understood that the display is the interface to the user. Too bad some companies still haven't got it.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview