News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad W550s Workstation Review

Started by Redaktion, March 17, 2015, 08:08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Surprise! Lenovo expands its W-series with a very thin mobile workstation, which can set some new records right away. It benefits from components like the first professional chip from Nvidia's Maxwell generation, a generous battery capacity and many typical business features. Our review shows you what else we like about this workstation.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W550s-Workstation-Review.137989.0.html

cmvrgr

With 2200€  you can buy a laptop with faster cpu and almost the same weight in kgr and with guaranty extension to achieve 36 months of guaranty. Even cheaper with a gaming notebook you can get better performance.

As I have said if someone is working with 3d gpu rendering, cad, photoshop in terms of performance its better to buy a gaming laptop with the same money than one that is a "workstation" (in quotes).

Every company baptize a laptop as workstation with crappy performance.

Zoro

People buying this laptop usually work in big companies or research institutions, which don't pay 2200$ for a laptop, but mostly only a half of that.

coiso

Actualy, no. Professional graphics cards are generaly way better at 3D rendering than gaming cards. Reason is, better binned chips, optimized drivers, and double digit precision to make less mistakes. Granted I am not convinced on this one and I want to see the full version of the workstation (i.e the full replacement of the W541) since this version CPU seems to be a very lage bottleneck.

If you look online, you can find a GTX780 (2304 cuda cores) being beaten by a Quadro 2000 (not K2000) which has only 192 cuda cores (not to mention less VRAM, DDR3 memory instead of DDR5, Fermi architecture, ect)  in Maya and when paired to less RAM and a worse processor. Sure the 780 beats it back on 3DSMAX but the if you compare to a similar gen graphics card, the professional one tends to win.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview