News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Dell Latitude E5550 (Broadwell) Notebook Review Update

Started by Redaktion, January 31, 2015, 19:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Business Broadwell.The Latitude E5550 features an elegant case, good battery life, very good input devices, a docking port, an IPS display and a powerful Broadwell CPU. In addition, it is easy to maintain. It is not difficult to see that the computer primarily aims at business users. Thanks to its affordable price, the device is also attractive for consumers.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-Latitude-E5550-Broadwell-Notebook-Review-Update.135229.0.html

Michał

This laptop is sold not only with Samsung panel but also with LG and AUO.

I've seen two E5550 with LG panels and they had very pronounced backlight bleeding.

Another drawback is that case, keyboard and touchpad attract fingerprints very easily and it takes a lot of effort to keep them in reasonable condition.

ckayte

Overall, this is a great laptop but there is one problem that hinders the functionality greatly. This laptop has the dreaded double-typing error. I have to spend significant time editing everything that I write because I get double letters - at least a word or two per sentence. I recently decided to install Linux on this laptop, something that I highly recommend (it IS Ubuntu certified), and I don't get as many double-typing errors but they do still happen (maybe one or two per paragraph rather than a few per sentence, as it did in Windows 10.) I've read up on this problem and I know that it is not a Dell-only issue but I have tried the recommended "fixes" (most recommend updating the BIOS, my BIOS is as up-to-date as it's going to get.) Other fixes involve keyboard settings... nothing helped.

I spent a lot of time researching laptops because I wanted something that would meet all of my needs and last for many years. I chose what I felt was a good compromise between specs and build-quality. If I can just get the keyboard to work as intended, my primary use for a computer, so I don't dread typing on it then I would be pleased with my purchase (my last computer was a Lenovo, admittedly a tough act to follow, but I was not prepared for the issues that I am seeing... it really made me miss my old Lenovo, after it was claimed by my mother.)

This Dell Latitude also has some backlight bleeding at the top of the screen. I realize that this is a common IPS screen issue so I haven't called Dell yet to request a fix, it's possible that a fixed screen would have the same thing and it's rarely noticeable when the computer is in use, but it's worth noting.

Other than those 2 issues, and general Windows 10 problems (Linux fixed that), this is a great laptop.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview