News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Largest black hole in the Milky Way spotted 2,000 light years from us

Started by Redaktion, April 16, 2024, 11:33:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A surprising discovery made in the data retrieved by the European Space Agency's Gaia mission is the BH3 stellar black hole, located just 2,000 light years from Earth. No less than 33 times the size of the sun, BH3 is the largest of its kind in the Milky Way and the second one (by size) to be spotted so far.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Largest-black-hole-in-the-Milky-Way-spotted-2-000-light-years-from-us.828021.0.html

JLThom

i'm thinking the word "size" was misused for this article. the newly discovered binary star system contains a stellar (mass) black hole. the bh is approx 33x the (mass) of the Sun.

vertigo

Quote from: JLThom on April 17, 2024, 19:44:27i'm thinking the word "size" was misused for this article. the newly discovered binary star system contains a stellar (mass) black hole. the bh is approx 33x the (mass) of the Sun.

I was wondering this the entire time I was reading the article, as 33x the *size* would be MASSIVE, and millions of times the *size* for Sag A seems off, too. Of course, just saying "size" when speaking of astronomical bodies is already poor writing regardless, as that could mean diameter or volume. So sorry, but somebody that doesn't understand these basic concepts (diameter vs volume, size vs mass) shouldn't be writing astronomy articles.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview