News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus unveils 32-inch 8K monitor with 4096 mini LED zones as well as ProArt OLED monitor with Thunderbolt 4

Started by Redaktion, April 13, 2024, 01:24:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Asus has just presented one of the most exciting 32-inch monitors in the world, the ProArt Display PA32KCX, which combines an 8K panel with a 1200-nit mini LED backlight that can be dimmed in 4096 zones. There is also an OLED monitor for professionals.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-unveils-32-inch-8K-monitor-with-4096-mini-LED-zones-as-well-as-ProArt-OLED-monitor-with-Thunderbolt-4.826531.0.html

Ednumero

Finally, another 8K that isn't an ultrawide/ultrashort!

As mentioned, I'm sure it won't be cheap, but the first critical factor will be whether it can beat the price of Dell's long-standing offering. We have all these docks touting 8K support, but still no affordable monitors to take advantage.

There are then also the concerns of refresh rate (given 8K 60Hz, will there be a 4K 240Hz mode?) and the long-awaited return of the 16:10 aspect ratio in desktop monitors (which would make this even better).

ZeDestructor

100% agreed. It's been a long, long wait since the UP3218K, and if this has a 4K240, or even "just" a 1440p240 and VRR at all resolutions, it'd be worth the full 5 grand that'd match the old Dell unit.

16:10 is a long way away though, I reckon, sadly. Despite the uptick in 16:10 panels in laptops (like the 3840×2400 OLED I have in my laptop).

Ednumero

1440p should even be able to hit 540Hz within the same bitrate as 8K 60Hz, barring other limitations.

These two numbers also, of course, assume any such feature doesn't suffer from the recent baffling trend of linearizing the quadratic complexity of resolution scaling: https://www.notebookchat.com/index.php?topic=186102.msg567100#msg567100

NikoB

This is a fake 8k monitor, because... In addition to the 8K panel, an input interface in 8K lossless mode is required. But Asus did not indicate support for UHBR20 on the DP2.1 input (which means there is UHBR10 with lossy compression in DSC mode).

HDMI 2.1/TB4 DO NOT support 8k resolution even in 24-bit color in lossless mode! Therefore, all these connectors are stupid and useless on an 8k monitor that requires a minimum of 48Gbps+ lanes with USEFUL data.

HDMI 2.1 has a useful bandwidth of 42Gbps
TB4 has less than 40.

Asus, as usual, is deceiving stupid, illiterate ordinary people, although it is quite difficult to imagine that there are such people within the target group of buyers of such devices. Therefore there will be no sales. All real target groups of buyers will be waiting for new monitors with TB5/HDMI 2.2+ and a normal DP2.1 port with direct support for UHBR20 (80Gbps).

Ednumero

I suppose the hope would be that it can support lossless 8K using both TB4 connections at once, sort of like the HP Z27q* did with its 2xDP1.2. How much hope we actually have for that, though, I do not know.

* The real Z27q, with 5K res, rather than the QHD "Z27q G3" model that clutters up search results by hitchhiking on the name.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview