News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

GAC beating Toyota to solid-state battery EV with 600-mile range thanks to large-capacity cell breakthrough

Started by Redaktion, April 12, 2024, 13:43:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Werewolf

Honestly, this is the wrong solution.

We don't need massive capacity batteries, we need fast charge batteries (although both at the same time would be even better).

ICE cars have the advantage not because of range, but because it takes about 6 minutes to go from almost 0 to 100% "charge" with just a "charge card" (ie: any credit card) at any of literally hundreds of thousands of "chargepoints" (ie: gas stations) while EVs take a minimum of 40 mins to get to 80% charge IF you can find a chargestation that doesn't require membership, has a compatible plug, is actually working, not occupied and isn't 'for customers only'.

Every proposed solution for this involves the driver making radical changes to their behaviour AND possibly buying mods to their house (if they even own a house).

An EV with a smaller capacity battery that could be recharged in a few minutes at one of many chargepoints eliminates the entire problem (and also reduces pollution and environmental damaged cause by mining lithium).

A

Quote from: The Werewolf on April 14, 2024, 00:48:47Honestly, this is the wrong solution.

We don't need massive capacity batteries, we need fast charge batteries (although both at the same time would be even better).

ICE cars have the advantage not because of range, but because it takes about 6 minutes to go from almost 0 to 100% "charge" with just a "charge card" (ie: any credit card) at any of literally hundreds of thousands of "chargepoints" (ie: gas stations) while EVs take a minimum of 40 mins to get to 80% charge IF you can find a chargestation that doesn't require membership, has a compatible plug, is actually working, not occupied and isn't 'for customers only'.

Every proposed solution for this involves the driver making radical changes to their behaviour AND possibly buying mods to their house (if they even own a house).

An EV with a smaller capacity battery that could be recharged in a few minutes at one of many chargepoints eliminates the entire problem (and also reduces pollution and environmental damaged cause by mining lithium).

There is nothing wrong with a change if it is a better one. Dumbphones lasted multiple weeks on 1 charge, it didn't stop adoption of smartphones.

More range = you use the charging station less often. At one point you reach a point where you have enough range to just drive all day

Most people don't like going to gas stations. They just want to get to their destination.

Also I will note the larger the battery, usually means the faster it charges and longer lifespan.

In terms of environmental damage, a gallon of lithium does about same as a gallon of gasoline. Except the gasoline is burned while the lithium last decades then recycled

CBED19

Quote from: The Werewolf on April 14, 2024, 00:48:47Honestly, this is the wrong solution.

More range is critical in the USA. Especially in Northern states with cold weather where range is impacted by 30% or worse.

More range does some critical things.
1. Reduces number of charging cycles, which extends battery life.
2. Increases the number of possible charging locations available on road trips.
3. Can bring EV's closer to ICE vehicle travel times by reducing unnecessary stops.

Yes charge time is critical. Energy density is even more important.
If they can push some of these other battery technologies up past 500-700 WH/kg we'll be doing well.
Can start making batteries smaller and cheaper too.

anan

Solid-state batteries have always promised more volumetric capacity. But they have always been short lived. Meaning fewer charging cycles before critical degradation. They 'can' charge faster and store more energy but have a shorter lifespan. I am interested on any achievements on this front. Since LFPs have a very long lifespan in comparison. This will impact resale value. So those short lived solid-state batteries might be bound for performance cars for people with deep pockets.

NikoB

Quote from: A on April 14, 2024, 11:36:06In terms of environmental damage, a gallon of lithium does about same as a gallon of gasoline. Except the gasoline is burned while the lithium last decades then recycled
Another cheap demagoguery and 100% lie.

Charging a lithium battery requires energy. Where does it come from? And what is its impact on ecology?

As a result, a car with a battery harms the overall environment on the planet more than a car with an internal combustion engine, but locally, for Elloi cities, it eliminates local smog, making the air cleaner.

Those. Electric cars are a selfish topic for the cities of the "golden billion" or Elloi. But they cause more harm throughout the planet.

indy

I don't care what technology is in a vehicle. I ain't paying more than $25K for a vehicle.
I just want something reliable to get me where I want to go.

I don't need it to drive for me.

I need it to be reliable so I can depend on its function.

I want to be reasonably safe to preserve my life and of my loved ones.

I don't buy cars new... I don't like paying for marketing, and that is what new car buyers are paying for.

I do occasionally drive long distances. Until EVs somehow resolve this issue without hassle, I will wait until they don't.

I don't find EVs to be the saving grace for the planet. The planet will be here LONG after humans have destroyed themselves.

NikoB

Quote from: indy on April 15, 2024, 17:01:08I don't find EVs to be the saving grace for the planet. The planet will be here LONG after humans have destroyed themselves.
It's true, even a nuclear war with the current arsenals (10 times less than during the Cold War - the USSR had 4 times more warheads than the entire "nuclear club" now has) is just bullshit compared to the energy released by the meteorite impact that destroyed the dinosaurs. But life on the planet survived. It will survive after a nuclear war, except that there will be 6-7 billion fewer lumpen leftists in large cities, which is generally not bad. The remnants of those sane and most adapted to survival will begin a new civilization, more compact and optimal.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview