News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

SimplyNUC launches Onyx Pro workstation-class mini PC with Intel i9-13900H, up to 96 GB of RAM and 8 TB storage

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2024, 18:45:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

SimplyNUC's Onyx Pro, offers powerful specifications including an Intel i9-13900H processor, up to 96 GB of RAM and now options for workstation-class discrete GPUs. With support for customizable upgrades, extensive connectivity, and starting at $1,199, it offers a compelling value for workstation-class users looking for a powerful mini PC.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/SimplyNUC-launches-Onyx-Pro-workstation-class-mini-PC-with-Intel-i9-13900H-up-to-96-GB-of-RAM-and-8-TB-storage.810516.0.html

Thomas Po

I wonder if we'll ever see the middle step covered - we got tons of mini PCs with integrated graphics, and more of these tiny workstations are slowly appearing, yet we are still so completely short on mini PCs with gaming-capable dGPU options.

Like take my heavy and clunky Lenovo Legion 5 notebook with 13th-gen CPU and Geforce 4060 GPU, rip the display off and throw it the innards in a small cube with proper cooling already.

I don't care if it's $1k+, it's annoying that we don't have this sort of mini PC more widely available at this point.

Hotz

Looks like the same as the Minisforum-MS01. I was hoping for a slightly different version with more USB ports, as I really don't need 4 LAN ports.

It could be a decent Mini-PC, if it featured the new Core Ultra, which has a better Arc-iGPU. But the version above still has the old Intel Core with the Iris-iGPU, which is outdated and doesn't get any updates anymore. Who would want to buy that? I really don't get why they even announce it anymore...

Hotz

Quote from: Thomas Po on March 06, 2024, 19:15:22... more of these tiny workstations are slowly appearing, yet we are still so completely short on mini PCs with gaming-capable dGPU options.

Like take my heavy and clunky Lenovo Legion 5 notebook with 13th-gen CPU and Geforce 4060 GPU, rip the display off and throw it the innards in a small cube with proper cooling already.

I don't care if it's $1k+, it's annoying that we don't have this sort of mini PC more widely available at this point.

I agree. The shortage of decent Mini-PCs is perplexing and annoying. A form factor similar as the one above would be perfect for most people. Most people don't need ITX, ATX, Mini-ITX towers anymore. Also the form factor above would be better than all these miniscule NUC mini PCs.

Though some reviews (of the Minisforum MS01) have shown that most dGPU wouldn't fit into the case above. Only low-profile-1-slot cards. Bigger cards (like an RTX 4060) only work if the case lid remains off. But this only shows again, that with very little changes good mini PCs could be created.

Ralph Clark

The i9-13900H requires 45W just to run at its base clock. If you're driving it hard it will need 115W.

It's highly unlikely you'll ever get to do that in this miniPC as the thermal management won't be able to cope. It will throttle long before that point.

Thomas Po

Quote from: Ralph Clark on March 07, 2024, 15:14:29The i9-13900H requires 45W just to run at its base clock. If you're driving it hard it will need 115W.

It's highly unlikely you'll ever get to do that in this miniPC as the thermal management won't be able to cope. It will throttle long before that point.
These combinations exist in gaming laptops, where components are or are not using lower TDPs depending, with various cooling solutions, and they ship with big 200-300W power bricks that are probably better suited to build housing with than to carry around in a bag.

I don't understand why what is perfectly feasible in gaming notebooks somehow wouldn't work in a small desktop box.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview