News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Massive Arrow Lake leak reveals Intel ditching new cores introduced with Meteor Lake, no Arc iGPU, and more

Started by Redaktion, March 06, 2024, 12:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Intel Arrow Lake is shaping up to be a big architecture overhaul with a slew of new changes coming to both mobile and desktop variants. Per new details from Golden Pig Upgrades over at Bilbili, the architecture will, among other things, ditch Hyperthreading (HT), have no SoC E-cores, and will only support DDR5 memory.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Massive-Arrow-Lake-leak-reveals-Intel-ditching-new-cores-introduced-with-Meteor-Lake-no-Arc-iGPU-and-more.809838.0.html

lmao

so intel is gutting igpu and e-cores just to fill all available space with p-cores and get that sweet geekbench number lol

anan

Wasn't there a problem with switching from e-cores to p-cores? One where a workaround was to disable e-cores altogether? I have heard of this last year. Maybe they did not manage to fix this and just gave up? As in - it is not work the hassle.

Mark Clerk

Isn't a leak when something is disclosed that shouldn't yet be disclosed? A leak these days seems to just mean a PR person pretending to inadvertently disclose when actually they just cannot be bothered to issue a press release. Let's get rid of the word leak as it has bad click bait linkages

Hotz

Quoteno Arc iGPU

But it's still the same tiled Arc-chip and Arc-architecture as in MeteorLake, and will profit from its driver updates.

Quoteit only packs 4 Xe cores. However, past leaks have suggested an 8-core Xe LPG iGPU for the desktop parts...

The 4 Xe-Cores is realistic, the 8 Xe-Cores not. A maxed out iGPU would be very powerful, and Intel hasn't mentioned any ambition for that. And they never did in the past. Thus rather unlikely.

But how weak or strong is 4 Xe-cores really? 4 Xe-Cores = 64 EUs = 512 Shader Units. For a possible comparison, the 12650H has 64 EUs and is actually quite decent.

I also wonder how strong that ArrowLake-S iGPU will be against a maxed out MeteorLake iGPU (128 EUs). I doubt there will be a 100% performance difference. I even doubt a 50% difference. How much will it really be?

Especially when you can put faster RAM into your desktop. Something like 8000+ MT/s (desktop RAM) against 5600 MT/s (mobile SODIMM)? Which system will be faster in the end?

Hotz

Quote from: Hotz on March 24, 2024, 23:03:43I also wonder how strong that ArrowLake-S iGPU (64 EUs) will be against a maxed out MeteorLake iGPU (128 EUs). I doubt there will be a 100% performance difference. I even doubt a 50% difference. How much will it really be?

The idea of not much difference came from looking at the AMD 8500G vs 8600G benchmarks (which have 4 CUs vs 8 CUs), and there is mostly only 25% improvement in gaming.

While AMD and Intel architecture is not the same and may not act identically, they could possibly act similarly? And if that were the case, an ArrowLake desktop chip (with only 4 Xe Cores) could deliver the same performance as a MeteorLake mobile chip (with full 8 Xe-Cores). That could make a desktop system more attractive (because of modularity) than pre-packaged mini pcs...

Speculative, but makes one think what would be the better choice. Especially when MeteorLake feels like a mess with its HT, E-Cores, P-Cores, and only ArrowLake will have that cleaned up...

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview