News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P14s laptop with 64GB RAM and 2.8K OLED is 54% off right now

Started by Redaktion, February 24, 2024, 20:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 14-inch workstation also sports the well-performing AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 7840U CPU and a 1TB SSD. Thanks to a colorful OLED display, the ThinkPad P14s Gen 4 is worth consideration for shoppers who can spend around $1,100 on a new Lenovo laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P14s-laptop-with-64GB-RAM-and-2-8K-OLED-is-54-off-right-now.806956.0.html

NikoB

Now, if there was a matte, non-glare, non-flickering and non-burning 2.8k IPS with 1500:1+ 120Hz, it would be a completely different matter! Then, with 64GB for $1100, I would buy it. Well, like a system unit, because it's still completely unsuitable for working on its keyboard without a numpad.

NikoB

And damn it! Bring back eSATA ports! They are critical for checking the HDD in exclusive mode when purchasing! It is impossible to check a 3.5" HDD via USB3.0 in exclusive mode under DOS!

Mr Majestyk

Quote from: NikoB on February 25, 2024, 13:13:19Now, if there was a matte, non-glare, non-flickering and non-burning 2.8k IPS with 1500:1+ 120Hz, it would be a completely different matter! Then, with 64GB for $1100, I would buy it. Well, like a system unit, because it's still completely unsuitable for working on its keyboard without a numpad.

I love how they call this workstation and it lacks numpad. And OLED for productivity is the definition of insanity.

Neenyah

Lol, numpad fascism goes on. Apparently no one can do any work without it so MacBooks are totally unusable for everything but watching movies, right? Yet in the real world more than 50% of people can't stand having numpad because it is only slowing them down so they specifically search for such laptops and/or 60%-to-TKL (mechanical) keyboards. The choice is great and it is definitely good that everyone can choose whatever tf they want to use, but to claim that no work can be done without numpad is just plain trolling.

Quote from: NikoB on February 25, 2024, 13:13:19Now, if there was a matte, non-glare, non-flickering and non-burning 2.8k IPS with 1500:1+ 120Hz, it would be a completely different matter! Then, with 64GB for $1100, I would buy it. Well, like a system unit, because it's still completely unsuitable for working on its keyboard without a numpad.
There is 104-107 keys on a laptop keyboard with numpad. 21 are numpad keys. So ~20% of your keyboard is numpad only to enter 6.45% numbers in the whole quoted message (248 characters without spaces in this message, only 16 numbers). Bad efficiency NikoB, you are -13.55% short and your keyboard is underutilized. Type more numbers.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Neenyah on February 26, 2024, 00:12:09numpad [criticism] goes on. Apparently no one can do any work without it so MacBooks are totally unusable for everything but watching movies, right? Yet in the real world more than 50% of people can't stand having numpad because it is only slowing them down so they specifically search for such laptops and/or 60%-to-TKL (mechanical) keyboards. The choice is great and it is definitely good that everyone can choose whatever tf they want to use

So far the theory. In practice, choice is limited. E.g., some series without any numpad offer. Some numpads too small. Others missing keys. Others having tiny arrow keys. Some offer the right numpad choice but align the touchpad unpreferably. Many wobble. Too few are mechanical. Some collect dust. Many have terrible maintenance and replacement options.

In practice, I can get my 95% desktop keyboard (the missing 5% are: got a Monday device from the first seller, upsold not needed mouse bundling, small left Shift, the fabric new key colour was so new that much of it has come off within a few days to look like used for several years but who cares, dust cleaning is necessary) but the last good notebook keyboard of equal quality I have seen was from 1995. Aftwards, notebook manufacturers have seen keyboards as one of many places for cutting costs (and also therefore not selling me any).

lmao

in 95 there were no 'notebook keyboards', they just had those crappy cheap desktop keyboards attached to a screen.

RobertJasiek

From 1995 notebooks, I recall cheap Acers, less cheap Asuses, above intermediate quality ThinkPads (no desktop insertions but their own design with track point) and Compaqs (their own design of high quality, some of which I bought).

Of course, there were also ultra-cheap Escoms and cheap Vobises - mostly desktops for which your description "crappy cheap desktop keyboards attached to a screen" is too kind.

NikoB

I have no complaints about the lack of a numpad on 12-14" models - it's clear that it doesn't physically fit there. It's unclear why there's any chatter out of nowhere about this.

I simply expressed the opinion that with 64GB and matte IPS (better, of course, 4k@120Hz) this is a fairly good device as a system unit and, if you need comfortable surfing and running some heavy background software. But without an external keyboard with a full numpad, the capabilities of all 12-14" laptops are extremely limited as a full-fledged workstation.

Only 15.6"+ models come close to this, but a fully functional keyboard is only possible on models 17" and above. And that's why it makes you laugh when at 17-18" you see poor keyboards from 14" or with a damaged (intentionally) numpad or with narrowed buttons. And the choice of 18" models comes down to a few "gaming" models. And this is sad. And only MSI has a model with 4k 18", but this is just "gaming" hardware, and not for work with a damaged numpad.

What is especially annoying about all laptop keyboards is the narrowed height row of Esc, F1..F12. What kind of goons do all manufacturers have to be in order to save on plastic for these buttons (or install these idiotic unified cheap models, in all diagonals, apparently made at the same Chinese factory) and the size of the keys of this row, even when there is plenty of space on top? Even at 14" this row can easily be made full in height.

RobertJasiek

Manufacturers do it to cut costs. Using the same keyboard from 14" to 18" (Razer) saves cost. On some 16", internal restrictions combined with a too small chassis might make a half height function row nevessary; using the same on 17" saves cost (XMG explained). Hence these manufacturers only think about cutting cost (and chassis size) instead of thinking about user needs and, if necessary to achieve a particular winning margin, increasing endconsumer prices by €50 to offer a nearly perfect keyboard in a notebook. NBC and others not testing keyboard quality thoroughly supports the manufacturers instead of us endconsumers.

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 26, 2024, 11:47:01Hence these manufacturers only think about cutting cost
nice theory about whole world conspiring against you and your cheap 1995 keyboards.
reality - manufacturers think about making body more sturdy while maintaining smaller weight. smaller keyboard hole(s) = less material on top and bottom case required to compensate = less weight.

bluetooth numpads for microsoft excel button pushers are available for purchase.

NikoB

Quote from: lmao on February 26, 2024, 13:18:18bluetooth numpads for microsoft excel button pushers are available for purchase.
Good luck with effective 2-handed blind work on this crap...

Saving on a full-fledged keyboard in a 17-18" case is nothing more than pure redneckness of manufacturers.

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on February 26, 2024, 13:23:43Good luck with effective 2-handed blind work on this crap...
reality - for blind typing aka touch typing you dont need numpad at all, you use 10 fingers on numbers row, people use 6X% keyboards

NikoB

Quote from: lmao on February 26, 2024, 13:35:44reality - for blind typing aka touch typing you dont need numpad at all, you use 10 fingers on numbers row, people use 6X% keyboards
You apparently have never developed anything professionally or much.

During file navigation, copy-past, group operations, editing - the absence of a numpad (with numlock disabled by default) the efficiency of code entry immediately drops by an order of magnitude. A fact proven many times in disputes with lovers of stripped-down keyboards.

The same thing applies when entering complex formulas or multiple numbers.

Even if we take banal manual trading, understandable to millions, it is completely fatal.

Without a full built-in numpad, a laptop is not a full-fledged a priori, for anyone who is engaged in really productive activities. Well, except for humanists and all sorts of "writers" - yes, there is no need for a numpad.

lmao

Quote from: NikoB on February 26, 2024, 13:44:39During file navigation, copy-past, group operations, editing - the absence of a numpad (with numlock disabled by default) the efficiency of code entry immediately
drops by an order of magnitude.
yeah yeah and this is just jack s*** you made up lmao
have you even watched a single programming productivity video on youtube

oh my god, guy wants to navigate with numpad, rofl, on mac you can't even do this anymore for ages.
get your frigging bluetooth numpad and enter your "formulas", feels just like your normal boomer numpad, trust me bro.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview