News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Strix Scar 18 (2024): 1000 nits, RTX 4090, and a good battery life

Started by Redaktion, February 10, 2024, 19:38:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Scar 18 is currently one of the most powerful laptops. A Core i9-14900HX and GeForce RTX 4090 allow 4k gaming, video processing, and rendering. The bright and colorful mini-LED display (18 inches, 2560x1600 pixels, DCI-P3) is a feast for the eyes.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-Scar-18-2024-1000-nits-RTX-4090-and-a-good-battery-life.801739.0.html

PC Gamer

That price is ludicrous.  I bought the Scar 16 with the 13900HX and 4080 12GB for $2800 last year. Asus wants you to spend literally $1600 more just for a slight upgrade to a 14900K and a minor upgrade to a 4090?  No thanks.

uik

Good luck achieving "realistic runtime of 7.5 hours" in any real productivity workload

RyJarc

You're just mad because you don't have it or understand hardware.  Or is it that you cNt afford it?  In this market that's actually on par for the specs for a decent machine.  Heck I've spent a couple grand more easily on my gaming desktop builds.  So this isn't unreasonable or unexpected.  You get what you pay for in the PC world.
This machine kicks your machines a**. Not to mention if you knew what you were talking about these specs kill your computers specs.

RyJarc

Quote from: uik on February 11, 2024, 12:37:11Good luck achieving "realistic runtime of 7.5 hours" in any real productivity workload

Does anyone's computer actually last as long as they claim they will?  You clearly don't understand how they come up with these numbers. Do some research before making uneducated comments.

Just saying, Mr. "Real productivey". Looking at photos or even using Lightroom doesn't count or browsing the net. 

Neenyah

Quote from: uik on February 11, 2024, 12:37:11Good luck achieving "realistic runtime of 7.5 hours" in any real productivity workload
It quite literally says "realistic runtimes", not "realistic productivity runtimes". And even then, what is productivity? For someone is typing a lot of text, for someone video editing, for someone else that is coding and compiling... all completely different types of being productive.

Roman Bernhard

Quoteauthor=PC Gamer link=msg=576356 date=1707606633slope game
That price is ludicrous.  I bought the Scar 16 with the 13900HX and 4080 12GB for $2800 last year. Asus wants you to spend literally $1600 more just for a slight upgrade to a 14900K and a minor upgrade to a 4090?  No thanks
If your current Scar 16 meets your needs adequately and you don't require the additional features offered by the upgraded version, it might be more cost-effective to continue using your current system.

NikoB

What I wrote about back in early 2024 was just the other day outlined by a blogger popular among the masses on YouTube:
QuoteDon't Buy a 2024 Gaming Laptop - Top 3 Reasons
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XY1NibKU1M

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on April 05, 2024, 11:39:33What I wrote about back in early 2024 was...
...written many months on many different places, before you wrote anything anywhere. Such as this from November 17, 2023:

Nvidia may have RTX Super refreshes for CES 2024 – but don't expect any laptop GPUs - We won't see new notebook graphics cards until CES 2025 at the earliest, apparently

Or this from December 6, 2023: https://www.reddit.com/r/ZephyrusG14/comments/18byqhk/comment/kc7d8te/

QuoteKnowing that:

• There aren't going to be any new AMD CPUs
  • There aren't going to be any new Nvidia dGPUs
  • ASUS has historically not fixed any of the core design issues in their laptops (meaning I wouldn't expect them to start now)
  • You'll be far more likely to find a good deal on an "old" laptop rather than a brand-new one

I would have no qualms about looking at buying a 2023 model (as long as it came with a Zen 4 CPU, that is)

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview