News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Onyx Boox Palma review - Palm tablet with e-ink display and camera

Started by Redaktion, January 26, 2024, 18:20:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Onyx Boox Palma looks like a cell phone but lacks essential functions such as mobile communications. So it's more of a very handy e-book reader with Android app support and even a small camera. Find out what you can do with the Palma in our test.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Onyx-Boox-Palma-review-Palm-tablet-with-e-ink-display-and-camera.797527.0.html

Anshuman Panda

A test to check how long it lasts while reading books might have been nice. My 4+ years old Kindle Paperwhite 3 which is significantly less power efficient than the PW4/5 regularly lasts 60-70 hours with the backlight and Wifi disabled. With a - 3x capacity battery if the Onyx lasts as much it would be really good as Android and the much more demanding SoC exact a toll on battery life.

Michael Bradley

Dear Notebookcheck,

Your test report shows that the minimum brightness is 0.2 cd/m².
Does it mean it's impossible to disable the frontlight COMPLETELY on Onyx Boox Palma (i.e. to set the brightness to 0 cd/m²)??

Thank you.

Michael Bradley

Mo Haisen

Thank you for all the amazing work that you're doing.

The article says that no PWM has been detected in the device. I wonder whether you actually measured the led backlight for flicker? I've got the Palma and its yellow light tiggers a strong reaction (eye strain) as if it uses PWM for dimming. I saw other posts of users with a similar problem caused by the Palma's backlight (!).

I suspect Palma is using PWM to optimise battery usage for its backlight and it may be quite harsh. It's not something I noticed on Onyx Boox Note Air (I) which I also have.

Can you pls confirm you've actually measured the blue and yellow ranges of the device's backlight for PWM flicker? Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview