News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Huawei claims HarmonyOS NEXT kernel is 3x more efficient than Linux

Started by Redaktion, January 20, 2024, 08:02:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Huawei has unveiled a self-developed operating system called the HarmonyOS NEXT. At the development event, the CEO described the OS as fully independent with a full-stack AI framework. The CEO has also claimed that the Harmony kernel is three times more efficient than Linux.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-claims-HarmonyOS-NEXT-kernel-is-3x-more-efficient-than-Linux.795125.0.html

Papsy

I for one really hope it gets big ! I'm at a crossroad as to whether it should run android apps or not...

Gregory Hartman

Yes, I'm sure a micro-kernel which needs to waste energy on IPC is going to be more efficient. Even L4 which tried to eliminate the overhead didn't find a real niche until it focused on security at the cost of performance.

There's no reason not to use Linux - except they don't want to share their kernel modules with GPL. Not very red of them, I have to say.

NikoB

Even if this is true, what's surprising about that?

The Linux kernel is being developed by a bunch of enthusiasts literally on their own, it is not a commercial product.

Huawei developers are well paid. They are professionals.

Linux, even with all its poor architecture, suffers not from the quality of the kernel, but from the UI in general, because... Not a single shell comes close to the usability of Windows and the convenience/ease of installing software and configuring it. That is why, despite the status of a "free" product, Linux is still in oblivion on the market, for more than 25 years, with its pitiful 2-3% of the market.

There are no miracles - professionals obviously do everything better, because... they have a vested interest in this.

Yevhen

Quote from: NikoB on January 20, 2024, 12:28:28Even if this is true, what's surprising about that?
The Linux kernel is being developed by a bunch of enthusiasts literally on their own, it is not a commercial product.
Huawei developers are well paid. They are professionals.

So you say that Linux kernel contributors from Intel, AMD, IBM, Google, Nvidia, Microsoft are enthusiasts?

Quote from: NikoB on January 20, 2024, 12:28:28Linux, even with all its poor architecture, suffers not from the quality of the kernel, but from the UI in general

Sorry, I can't follow. So "kernel is made by enthusiasts but it's fine"?
For UI it's clearly offtopic here and very questionable argument, especially when compared to Windows.

AndyChow

Quote from: NikoB on January 20, 2024, 12:28:28That is why, despite the status of a "free" product, Linux is still in oblivion on the market, for more than 25 years, with its pitiful 2-3% of the market.
Is that why 100% of the top 500 super-computers run linux?
Or how about 96.3% of all the web servers in the world run linux?
The pro world runs on linux, including Google, Facebook, you name it, they are all built on linux.
Oh, and you really believe this vapoware from Huawei? It's never going to happen. Developing a kernel is hard work, not something 🤡 at Huawei can figure out.

Mnemonic Carrier

Linux is the best... THE BEST!!!! :)

I've been using Linux as my daily driver for about 15 years now (at work and at home), it's awesome. I just can't get my head around your assertions, they seem so strange to me.

Finnysrg

Right, Linux, which is the standard operating system ALL large compute centers are running, and all development of software and compilers are based on... Will be replaced by a shitty, "secure" OS from Huawei.  No one will be worried about kernel level back doors for the Chinese government by software from Huawei, I'm totally sure it will get adopted.  Dream on.

Maxiuca

Quote from: NikoB on January 20, 2024, 12:28:28Even if this is true, what's surprising about that?

The Linux kernel is being developed by a bunch of enthusiasts literally on their own, it is not a commercial product. [...]

This is by far the stupidest comment I've read this month. Educate yourself before posting this kind of idiotic bullcrap. Not a commercial product... Simply hilarious 😂 I bet you're American...

NikoB

Quote from: Yevhen on January 20, 2024, 13:13:50So you say that Linux kernel contributors from Intel, AMD, IBM, Google, Nvidia, Microsoft are enthusiasts?
You apparently haven't watched Nolan's next creation about Oppenheimer - if there is no unifying force, nothing will work out, as the share of Linux distributions on the market after 25 years of development has proven. Swan, crayfish and pike require a conductor. It doesn't exist in Linux. On Windows there is.

Quote from: Yevhen on January 20, 2024, 13:13:50For UI it's clearly offtopic here and very questionable argument, especially when compared to Windows
This is a concrete argument that proves, 25 years later, why Linux is still miserably losing market share to paid Windows. By the way, with W10 it is actually free from MS, unofficially, but free.

Quote from: AndyChow on January 20, 2024, 14:16:59Is that why 100% of the top 500 super-computers run linux?
Again a pointless argument. We were talking about market share among the population and business. Not the server segment. The share of Linkus and all distributions combined is negligible, just like 25 years ago.

Quote from: AndyChow on January 20, 2024, 14:16:59Oh, and you really believe this vapoware from Huawei?
I don't believe anything. Anyone who reads me knows this all the time.

Quote from: AndyChow on January 20, 2024, 14:16:59Developing a kernel is hard work, not something 🤡 at Huawei can figure out.
Not at all. This is the coordinated work of well-paid brains. Is it a question of the availability of brains in China. ;)

Quote from: Mnemonic Carrier on January 20, 2024, 16:31:09Linux is the best... THE BEST!!!! :)

I've been using Linux as my daily driver for about 15 years now (at work and at home), it's awesome. I just can't get my head around your assertions, they seem so strange to me.
With that I congratulate you. But 80%+ of the world's population (outside of Android) use Windows.

Quote from: Finnysrg on January 20, 2024, 17:19:00Will be replaced by a shitty, "secure" OS from Huawei.  No one will be worried about kernel level back doors for the Chinese government by software from Huawei, I'm totally sure it will get adopted. 
I can immediately name a bunch of holes in all Linux kernels that have not been fixed for 20 years. Just like in Windows.

There are no safe OSes, there are people with the right mentality, critical thinking, who are able to adequately assess the risks of using any software. Unfortunately, people like me make up about 0.1% of the planet's population. Best case scenario. The rest take everything on faith. But faith constantly plays a cruel joke on them...

NuNuBDSking

Um those here talking about windows must not understand that unix-like & Linux is used in the majority the server and global backbone of the Internet

Mango

Did you know that Microsoft made 3x more money from Linux than Windows? They did it from the cloud services that all uses GNU/Linux.
The fact is all the big fish use Linux while Windows are used by small fry. How much does a Windows license? it's just $200 apiece, while my Azure instance that runs Linux cost me (my business)  $3500 a month, a whopping 15x price difference.
Microsoft can just ditch Windows then stay afloat anyway, the same can't be said for Linux.

I would include links but NBC doesn't allow me, still, it's from Microsoft income statement for Q4Y23, Google it up or use Bing (lol), wait, those two search engines runs Linux instead of Windows?!

(Do note that personal computing also includes Xbox, the more accurate number should be $6-8B. Nevertheless, still a far cry from $24B generated from Linux.)

NikoB

Windows cornerstone, M$ base. If you remove it, everything will collapse. This is the cement that binds everything.

DougF

Quote from: NikoB on January 20, 2024, 12:28:28Not a single shell comes close to the usability of Windows and the convenience/ease of installing software and configuring it.
One can immediately tell this Windows shill has never actually tried Linux.

pete_f_1234

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview