News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion Go gaming handheld review: Good idea, not quite perfectly executed

Started by Redaktion, January 18, 2024, 16:46:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo Legion Go is a different kind of detachable. Instead of removing the keyboard, on this device, you simply take off both of its controllers—turning the gaming handheld into a tablet. Its FPS mode is particularly interesting, which transforms the controllers into a mouse and keyboard. Unfortunately, not everything ran smoothly in our test.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-Go-gaming-handheld-review-Good-idea-not-quite-perfectly-executed.794034.0.html

Li

QuoteTwo fully equipped USB-C ports and a fast microSD card are standard for most gaming handhelds
Well, nope.
Ally and Deck - which are the only global competition with support - have just 1 (one) port, and it's not USB4.
And even among devices tested by NBC, only Ayaneo Air 1S has two USB4, though others have an additional A port.
...and Ally's microSD reader is a story for another time.

Quotesimilarly sized devices such as the ROG Ally, Ayaneo Kun and the OneXPlayer all have much larger batteries.
Ally has 40 Wh battery (vs 50 Wh in Legion Go) and in similar gaming loads has comparable or shorter runtimes, even with the smaller screen.

QuoteBy now, the handheld market is pretty oversaturated.
QuoteLegion Go is entering a market filled to the brim with strong competition.
At least MSI doesn't think so, introducing Claw; and they are probably right, as only Ally and Go reach the same market. 'Asian' offers are not supported nor distributed globally and are much more expensive.
Steam Deck, while a great option for some, still plays in a slightly different category.

QuoteAsus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme are quite a bit stronger
If you compare handhelds at gaming, at least set up their dedicated memory to the same amount, now it's apples vs oranges.
Additionally, some information in this article may suggest you may have not updated BIOS to *28* version, and even if so, probably not changed to STAPM power management (incorrectly written as 'STAMP' in the BIOS).

Sean2040

Quote from: Li on January 19, 2024, 00:25:40
QuoteTwo fully equipped USB-C ports and a fast microSD card are standard for most gaming handhelds
Well, nope.
Ally and Deck - which are the only global competition with support - have just 1 (one) port, and it's not USB4.
And even among devices tested by NBC, only Ayaneo Air 1S has two USB4, though others have an additional A port.
...and Ally's microSD reader is a story for another time.

Quotesimilarly sized devices such as the ROG Ally, Ayaneo Kun and the OneXPlayer all have much larger batteries.
Ally has 40 Wh battery (vs 50 Wh in Legion Go) and in similar gaming loads has comparable or shorter runtimes, even with the smaller screen.

QuoteBy now, the handheld market is pretty oversaturated.
QuoteLegion Go is entering a market filled to the brim with strong competition.
At least MSI doesn't think so, introducing Claw; and they are probably right, as only Ally and Go reach the same market. 'Asian' offers are not supported nor distributed globally and are much more expensive.
Steam Deck, while a great option for some, still plays in a slightly different category.

QuoteAsus ROG Ally Z1 Extreme are quite a bit stronger
If you compare handhelds at gaming, at least set up their dedicated memory to the same amount, now it's apples vs oranges.
Additionally, some information in this article may suggest you may have not updated BIOS to *28* version, and even if so, probably not changed to STAPM power management (incorrectly written as 'STAMP' in the BIOS).

I agree with everything you said. I have a Legion Go and it's clear the OP of this article is a little bias.

WildKarrde

Who is paying all these editors to be so negative about the Lenovo Go? It's always contrived grievances, that are often, flat out false.

Unknown

I'm not fanboy of any company and choose always what I think it's better. I had  Legion Go, ROG Ally and Steam Deck. The Legion Go was actually better than the others. The reviews from Notebookcheck were always fair but this one is absolutely not. First the device didn't testes with 6GB of VRAM or 8GB! Second the didn't mention many pros of Legion Go at the review like it has 2 USB-C Port! Not just 2 Port but they also USB 4 which they support eGPU! I think this review is paid or come from a fanboy!

Unknown

With 50Wh battery it actually lose to ally is quite pathetic, I though a month or two enough for lenovo to sort out their software problem, looks like it need more time in the oven.

That being said, 2 are completely different beast and cater to different people, I think lenovo go is perfect for travel companion or somewhere with desk, while ally more compact probably ideal in the bus or when commuting.

QuoteIf you compare handhelds at gaming, at least set up their dedicated memory to the same amount, now it's apples vs oranges.
So now we have to go into BIOS? the handheld should be used out of the box, it is not reviewer job to optimize it for lenovo, the max reviewer should do is update all the firmware thou.

unknown

No latency mon test? I hear there is a bug in the lenovo go software that doesnt actually adjust the tdp to lowest wattage. I wonder if that is responsible for the poor battery life and loudish fans

Bobble

I know this is a measurement heavy site, but also feel like the advantages of the detachable controllers got a bit neglected too. Love the scroll wheel on the right one, and once Lenovo gives us more controller key mapping options they will be even more versatile. Not to mention possibility of new controller designs down the line from Lenovo or aftermarket manufacturers.

My favorite way to play is with each controller resting lightly in each hand in claw grip. Even more next level is with Rokid Max AR glasses which also take advantage of the 2 USB4 ports, since they can be used while the Go is plugged in to the charger for best performance.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview