News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P16v G1 AMD review - Entry-level workstation with Zen4

Started by Redaktion, January 05, 2024, 19:12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the ThinkPad P16v G1, Lenovo is offering an affordable mobile workstation that can be configured with either an AMD or Intel CPU. We tested out the AMD version equipped with an Nvidia RTX A1000, which particularly stands out with its impressively long battery life.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P16v-G1-AMD-review-Entry-level-workstation-with-Zen4.789252.0.html

Pad_4_Thinking

Lenovo once again entices us with a bunch of options we don't even have. PSREF lists one without a dGPU and just the iGPU, yet it is nowhere for sale. Lenovo tells me to call around what I asked about it as they can't even communicate within their own company.

NikoB

More than $2000. What are they offering us for this?

A low-quality tactile keyboard with an insignificant 1.5mm key travel. Why the hell did fashion for touchscreen lovers migrate to professional models? There must be a classic ThinkPad keyboard with long key travel and elastic tactile feedback.

A shameful fhd screen with a monstrous response time (the dynamics are a complete mess), instead of 4k@120Hz with a response of no more than 6ms on G2G/B2W.

Of course, I don't believe in the declared contrast of 2000:1+ on a regular IPS panel from BOE; according to the datasheets, everything is almost 2 times worse. Even top-end LG "Black IPS" monitor panels in practice in all reviews produce no more than 1800:1.

The processor is frankly weak (and even stifled). Here you need the 7945HX in a slightly suppressed PL1/PL2 version, but it will still be up to 2 times faster than the 7840HS. Adding 4 external USB40/TB4 controllers to the 7945HX is not a problem - it has at least 16 free pci-e 5.0 lines hanging in the air. Taking into account the frankly weak discrete video chip, the presence of an external interface of at least the x16 pci-e 3.0 level (a matrix of 4 x USB40) would be very useful for the owner in the future.

Installing one 32GB memory module is the right solution for cheap laptop options (less than $1000), but not for $2000+. 64GB here must come out of the box, especially since Zen4 Phoenix officially supports up to 256GB.

Judging by its speed in single-channel mode, the RAM again does not excel in latency and overall bandwidth, even after installing a second 32GB module.

Noise: The author allegedly writes about "pleasant" noise up to 36 dBA, but this is noise at an extremely annoying level. "Pleasant" no more than 26 dBA (which is confirmed by the aspirations of the same manufacturers of cinema projectors to keep the noise level no more than 26 dBA). Thus, the laptop cannot be considered quiet for a load of up to 30-35% by core.

What else I didn't like was the location of 2 M.2 SSDs, out of 3, it's extremely unfortunate - it's right next to the battery and under heavy load it will create increased heating for the battery cells close to it.

The obvious failure of the "professional" model is the lack of an RJ45 in the back, this is a shame for Lenovo, with a ton of space in the back. There must be a 5-10Gbps port.
And of course the absence of at least 1 usb-a gen 3.2 port on the left. Again there is plenty of space.

And again I emphasize the need to have 2 audio ports - on the left and on the right, symmetrically, so that it is convenient for both right-handers and left-handers, plus (taking into account the increased breakability of 4-pin audio sockets) the second one will be a backup in case of failure of the main one, plus this makes it possible to quickly create a 4-channel system from 2 pairs of analog speakers anywhere. Well, it would be nice to have an eSATA port on the back and an SPDIF output to external DACs for complete galvanic isolation from the laptop's power circuits, if you want to get high-quality HI-END sound from the laptop as a source.

What is stopping Lenovo or any other manufacturer from making a normal working/universal laptop with a classic keyboard and numpad and a high-quality screen for working with text and graphics? Or to other manufacturers? There are no technical restrictions today. Only pure greed and increasingly outright redneckness of marketers, because... I will never believe that adequate engineers in R&D will voluntarily create such shameful models...

And remove the red stripe at the back - why is it on the professional model? What kind of stupid fashion is this from newfangled idiots? Think about the main thing - for whom such a model is intended.

And do not succumb to the calls of newfangled worthless "professors" that students do not need to study STEMs, but should study to become nannies and social workers. Remember "Interstellar"? "We don't need engineers and scientists...we need farmers." Prophecies come true...

ThoSch

Niko, interesting comments and review - what laptop would you recommend instead?

NikoB

Quite often on various forums and in comments I am asked such an abstract question, to which there is simply no answer, because the other person does not know what exactly you need. Correctly posed question(s) more than 50% correct answer.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview