News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MSI Prestige 16 B1MG laptop review: From Core i7 Xe to Core Ultra 7 Arc

Started by Redaktion, December 28, 2023, 23:11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We went out and bought our own 14th gen Intel laptop from a retail store. Is a brick-and-mortar unit just as good as all the Core Ultra 7 press units designed for reviewers? For $1400, it better be.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-Prestige-16-B1MG-laptop-review-From-Core-i7-Xe-to-Core-Ultra-7-Arc.785587.0.html

User-1

Weird situation with RAM, is it 128 bit? HWiNFO64 shows that iGPU works in 64 bit, it's very important for iGPU, in 128 bit it can be mush mor better results

Starjack

Hmm, impressive from the Arc iGPU.

QuoteWeird situation with RAM, is it 128 bit? HWiNFO64 shows that iGPU works in 64 bit, it's very important for iGPU, in 128 bit it can be mush mor better results.

This has been happening for quite sometime. Even my laptop system with 12GB RAM at one time, upgraded to 16GB recently, I still see the video memory bandwidth as 64-bit instead of 128-bit when my RAM is in dual channel mode. i did raise it in HWiNFO forum and the only thing i could get is that it could be an issue with the Intel GPU driver. I use to get the similar problem with TechPowerUP's GPU-Z but they fix theirs as soon as i talked to them about it.

LL

Continues the careless of some laptop manufacturers with noise or simple use: video playing, websurfing, listening to music. Noise should be zero.

Concerning the GPU benchmarks, to point out the Blender have now the OneAPI option for Intel GPUs.

Poster

Great battery life. Great iGPU results. Could be better imo.
Noise level, 53+ decibels! What happened there? If that's normal then forget about this laptop for office use/meetings/video conferencing.
Doesn't meteorlake support lpddr5-7500? Why didn't they take advantage of that?

A

What really stands out to me is TurboBoost to 100W.

That's aside from usual lack of modern benchmarks in Intel reviews so no one can easily compare it to M3Pro. )

Hotz

QuoteOverall performance is nonetheless consistently better than the Radeon 780M across all tested games by about 5 to 20 percent.

This is not true. As much as I would like to see it, the results used for comparison aren't fair. If you manually add the Minisforum UM780 XTX in field, the 780m is in most cases 15-30% faster, sometimes equal, but never behind.

I'm still torn which iGPU is better in the long run. From what I see it's like this:

- AMD delivers better performance out of the box, but most likely won't get better because their drivers are already at maximum
- Intel is worse out of the box, but constantly making driver updates and may later on surpass AMD

Neenyah

Quote from: Hotz on December 29, 2023, 10:30:49If you manually add the Minisforum UM780 XTX in field, the 780m is in most cases 15-30% faster, sometimes equal, but never behind.
Far thicker device with higher TDP (than usual) and way better cooling solution than pretty much any laptop has (because of its thickness). Same with my Beelink SER6 Max (it outperforms easily any laptop with that same Ryzen 7 inside).

Quote from: Hotz on December 29, 2023, 10:30:49I'm still torn which iGPU is better in the long run.
Intel + eGPU (when at the desk).

chris@amd

i don't get why this CPU is compared with U and P parts. it's an H part and should be compared to AMD 7840HS and intel 13700H which both are generally faster than this based on lots of reviews out there but this review hasn't compared to those directly. efficiency better than 13th gen but this machine has enormous battery rated at 99.9WH which is probably even higher as it's maximum size allowed to be on a plane. MSI should be credited to put this battery into 16" laptop at 1.55KG.

A

AnotherCrippledWindowsLap

Another "brilliant" cost-cutting move from a Windows laptop maker who doesn't understand their customer base. Leave it to Windows manufacturers to predictably do at least 1 bone-headed move to every single machine they release.

Whatever few dollars (pennies?) they saved by not having the other half of the heatsink+fan crippled their chassis heat and noise levels. Could have been a MBP competitor in terms of performance for the noise level.

And as another poster said, during undemanding loads, noise should be zero (or perceptually below ambient, which again could have EASILY been achieved in MOST scenarios by having the other half of the heatsink+fan, running at very low speed)

AnotherCrippledWindowsLap

Also, absolutely no typical consumer gives 2 shirts about AI.

Wanna impress people? For $1300, screen should have been 120Hz, 500+ nits and speakers should have been better.

It's like these people don't want to sell their products.

Not coming back

I don't think we're ever going to see those prices again. It's a bit like GPUs. A decade ago you could get a fairly high end one for $175. Now midrange ones are $500+ and according to reports these are actually flying of the shelves too. Same thing for phones too. Not too long ago you could get very decent hardware for $350. Now $799 is considered buying a phone on budget.

I actually do care about AI it's just I don't know how to get into it (without paying Nvidia or signing up / registering to some cloud service and paying them). I only 4 year old intel laptop with a fairly anemic iGPU and all the tutorials are like:

Step 1: Make sure you're on the most up-to-date Geforce driver.
Step 2: Profit $$$

Like, okay? Lol.

Sharath Naik

Why do these 16inch laptops have soldered RAM? All that space left empty, should have had soldered RAM and may be if space left add an SSD slot. Try to make use of the space instead of trying to focus on profiting. At 16Inch you cannot be having soldered RAM in an IGPU only system. 

shawman

I dont think these laptops are for gamers. Its great for productivity and as a office laptop. Great to see terrific wifi battery life and that and streaming(youtube/netflix) are most important metrics for a laptop.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview