News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G4 AMD Laptop Review: Ryzen power in the compact ThinkPad

Started by Redaktion, December 27, 2023, 13:36:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The ThinkPad T series is one of the most important parts of Lenovo's enterprise PC portfolio. Corporate purchasers get the choice: AMD or Intel for their client. There are arguments for both - with efficiency being on the side of the ThinkPad T14 Gen 4 AMD.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T14-G4-AMD-Laptop-Review-Ryzen-power-in-the-compact-ThinkPad.786912.0.html

davidm

It's already out of date, Ryzen 8000 series is out, with 3× inference speed. And as usual for Lenovo, no sensible panel option, either low quality with touch, or too high resolution with no touch.

Benjamin Herzig

Ryzen 8000 has been announced, but it isn't available, so strictly speaking, no, it isn't out of date. Add to that: Ryzen 8040 as it has been announced is only a small update over Ryzen 7040, as those are basically the same CPUs in most ways. So there is almost zero reason to consider this model a bad choice in terms of its platform.

A

Enma45

They give it a High score of 90% but I would give it a minimum of 95%, something that few laptops have achieved because this Lenovo for that price and everything it offers has plenty of power, performance, consumption, etc... it is a laptop that if they sold it In Europe at that price it would be gone in a day. This laptop is being recommended in many professional forums and can become a Best Seller because it has everything: RNDA 3 + USB 4.0 + HDMI 2.1 + AMD built at 4nm compared to Intel at 7nm and to top it off this AMD has Artificial Intelligence that surpasses new one that Intel has released.

LL

Especially this feature and the RJ45 port are important differentiators compared to other laptops with this CPU. Competition is stiff: The HP EliteBook 845 G10 has louder speakers, a more premium chassis and RAM slots, but it lacks the user replaceable keyboard and RJ45. Similarily, the Lenovo ThinkPad T14s G4 AMD lacks those features, but it has a more lightweight, premium design.

Don't understand the last period, should not be about another laptop model?

RobertJasiek

Quote from: A on December 27, 2023, 17:15:42I get strong vibes of 2010 nostalgia every time I see LAN port on a laptop.

And now what is your opinion on LAN ports?

Benjamin Herzig

Quote from: LL on December 27, 2023, 18:13:21Don't understand the last period, should not be about another laptop model?
The T14s G4 is not the same laptop as the T14 G4

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 27, 2023, 18:44:37And now what is your opinion on LAN ports?
My opinion they belong to USB docks.
Laptop has to be thick to accommodate it and you aren't going to need one anyway unless you are at the desk.

RobertJasiek

For many, being at the desk with a notebook is a frequent use case. Docks are useful only if one needs several extra ports; otherwise LAN on the notebook is the simple placement. Thick is an exaggeration; not thin is a more appropriate description.

As a reminder, LAN is good for transfer stability and security.

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 27, 2023, 19:16:38Thick is an exaggeration; not thin is a more appropriate description.
Idk, around x1.5 the thickness of Macbook Air, which is about the same computing power, is "thick" in my book.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 27, 2023, 19:16:38being at the desk with a notebook is a frequent use case
Plug in your dock with LAN port then.

NikoB

Again Lenovo is being redneck - instead of lpddr5 7500 it soldered the slow 6400. And I don't believe the result at a memory write speed of 94GB/s - it is too different from the speed in read/copy mode. In addition, access latency is simply monstrous - 130ns+(!) A complete shame for Lenovo engineers for such RAM settings in the BIOS. In addition, this directly affected the performance of the integrated graphics.

According to the author, despite the fact that this is a T series, the strength of the case has dropped very much compared to older models.

I would never give an fhd screen with such characteristics more than 82-83 points. In addition, I do not believe in the contrast result of 1700:1+. And I have long proposed checking the contrast with a calibrator by steps of 50 nits up to 30 nit, plotting a graph of changes in contrast depending on brightness. Not everything is clean there from different manufacturers, as tests of different models of panels from different models have shown problems with contrast for low brightness (<50%).
If there was 4k@120Hz and really with a contrast of 1700:1, then the screen would deserve at least 90 points. And if the real response was less than 7ms on B2W/G2G and no glare, then 95+ points would be possible.

As for the ports, as usual, Lenovo is bad for the fact that there is no power supply through the usual, round corner plug - there is a place for it on the left edge. Then the laptop could be used much more comfortably by reclining right-handers. And so USB-c power supply, as usual. idiotically sticks out perpendicular to the case and it is quite easy to break it while lying with the laptop on the sofa or bed - especially for right-handed people.

Well, there is room on the eSATA on the left or right - they could have brought at least one port out with it (or better yet, in the back, as power supply). This is necessary for testing the HDD in exclusive mode, which cannot be done via USB3+/USB40 under Windows/Linux.

After all, the old T series 10 years ago were much more packed with capabilities and solutions. And much stronger by case...

A

Quote from: NikoB on December 27, 2023, 20:15:42I don't believe the result at a memory write speed
Quote from: NikoB on December 27, 2023, 20:15:42I do not believe in the contrast result of 1700:1
That's some quality analytics.

Quote from: NikoB on December 27, 2023, 20:15:42eSATA
"don't believe" - "don't believe" - "eSATA"
Looks like laptop isn't bad at all if even NikoBipolar clearly ran out of ideas about how he can sh*t on it.

toNiko

Just look at psref:
Installed memory is actually 7500MHz, but run at 6400MHz due to platform limitation.

NikoB

Quote from: toNiko on December 28, 2023, 10:18:15Installed memory is actually 7500MHz, but run at 6400MHz due to platform limitation.
Lenovo marketers, as usual, lie:
www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-7840u
Official support for 7500 has been announced.

As usual, another participant appears who is not in the subject of real hardware support.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview