News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

GeForce GTX cards are about to become history and buying one today makes no sense

Started by Redaktion, December 15, 2023, 15:51:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

As DX12 Ultimate becomes more ubiquitous, with even integrated GPUs featuring RT support now, it's time to wave goodbye to the trusty old GTX/GT/GS/GTS series and embrace the new era.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/GeForce-GTX-cards-are-about-to-become-history-and-buying-one-today-makes-no-sense.783911.0.html

charlemagne

Eh. RT is still kind of a gimmick, and my 1080ti with FSR2.X still plays games at 1440p very well. If you're gaming on a 1080p monitor you could still pick up a 1080/ti and have a great time for years to come. Ignore the hype on new cards and don't upgrade until you really need to. This latest gen of cards were all overpriced.

sya

Quote from: charlemagne on December 15, 2023, 17:46:45Eh. RT is still kind of a gimmick, and my 1080ti with FSR2.X still plays games at 1440p very well. If you're gaming on a 1080p monitor you could still pick up a 1080/ti and have a great time for years to come. Ignore the hype on new cards and don't upgrade until you really need to. This latest gen of cards were all overpriced.

this comment makes sense and better than the article itself. thanks for your comment.

heffeque

Quote from: charlemagne on December 15, 2023, 17:46:45Eh. RT is still kind of a gimmick, and my 1080ti with FSR2.X still plays games at 1440p very well. If you're gaming on a 1080p monitor you could still pick up a 1080/ti and have a great time for years to come. Ignore the hype on new cards and don't upgrade until you really need to. This latest gen of cards were all overpriced.
Thank AMD for that. Let's see how FSR3 fairs with old HW. Hopefully better even than FSR2!

Personally I'm waiting for 7600M to hit the MiniPC market to get a decent, silent, EFFICIENT (low powered) 1080p gaming PC thanks to FSR3.

Neenyah

Quote from: heffeque on December 16, 2023, 10:36:55Thank AMD for that. Let's see how FSR3 fairs with old HW. Hopefully better even than FSR2!

Personally I'm waiting for 7600M to hit the MiniPC market to get a decent, silent, EFFICIENT (low powered) 1080p gaming PC thanks to FSR3.
Well 7000 series is pretty meh overall (value per $) but the whole 6000 is amazing. I snatched two GPUs at great prices (6800 XT with 16 GB for my desktop and RX 6600 8 GB for my laptop), couldn't be happier so far. The 6800 XT is just casually outperforming the 7800 XT in every single scenario where I need it (Counter Strike 2 primarily) - for much lower price. What's not to love there? 😁 And the RX 6600 is pushing literally every game I play at ultra/maxed settings with 70-120 fps at my laptop's 1440p screen (about 30% more fps with same settings on external screen) all while consuming less than 100W and being dead-silent. Again, perfection in my book.

So @charlemagne is completely correct with his comment; the 1080 (Ti especially) is going to push pretty much anything at 1080p without sweat, plenty of VRAM is certainly going to help there; I mean 1080 Ti or 3060 Ti? They are pretty close in performance (3060 Ti is about 10% faster) but 3 GB VRAM more is 3 GB VRAM more - for significantly lower price.  And for the cost of the 4060 non-Ti, another GPU similar in performance,  you can buy 2-3 1080 Tis, heh.

heffeque

Quote from: Neenyah on December 16, 2023, 12:01:34
Quote from: heffeque on December 16, 2023, 10:36:55Thank AMD for that. Let's see how FSR3 fairs with old HW. Hopefully better even than FSR2!

Well 7000 series is pretty meh overall (value per $) but the whole 6000 is amazing. I snatched two GPUs at great prices (6800 XT with 16 GB for my desktop and RX 6600 8 GB for my laptop), couldn't be happier so far. The 6800 XT is just casually outperforming the 7800 XT in every single scenario where I need it (Counter Strike 2 primarily) - for much lower price. What's not to love there? 😁 And the RX 6600 is pushing literally every game I play at ultra/maxed settings with 70-120 fps at my laptop's 1440p screen (about 30% more fps with same settings on external screen) all while consuming less than 100W and being dead-silent. Again, perfection in my book.

So @charlemagne is completely correct with his comment; the 1080 (Ti especially) is going to push pretty much anything at 1080p without sweat, plenty of VRAM is certainly going to help there; I mean 1080 Ti or 3060 Ti? They are pretty close in performance (3060 Ti is about 10% faster) but 3 GB VRAM more is 3 GB VRAM more - for significantly lower price.  And for the cost of the 4060 non-Ti, another GPU similar in performance,  you can buy 2-3 1080 Tis, heh.
None of what you've said is low powered (laptop GPU), so I doubt I'll see any of those on a MiniPC.

YTNIY

Quote from: heffeque on December 17, 2023, 00:07:16None of what you've said is low powered (laptop GPU), so I doubt I'll see any of those on a MiniPC.

Neither is yours though. I mean, the 7600M is like, in a grand total of how many laptops now? Practically non-existent. Any reason why you don't get something with a RTX 4060? I believe it's already released in quite a few NUC's now. Not to mention Ada > RDNA3 in efficiency.

As for upscalers, it seems Intel's XeSS now surpasses FSR2.x in image quality even while running on an RDNA3 card, according to a recent video by HardwareUnboxed. And Intel are seem to be releasing their own version of Frame Generation tech soon as well. Hope more game dev's start adopting XeSS so it becomes more popular.

heffeque

Quote from: YTNIY on December 17, 2023, 02:23:40
Quote from: heffeque on December 17, 2023, 00:07:16None of what you've said is low powered (laptop GPU), so I doubt I'll see any of those on a MiniPC.

Neither is yours though. I mean, the 7600M is like, in a grand total of how many laptops now? Practically non-existent. Any reason why you don't get something with a RTX 4060? I believe it's already released in quite a few NUC's now. Not to mention Ada > RDNA3 in efficiency.

As for upscalers, it seems Intel's XeSS now surpasses FSR2.x in image quality even while running on an RDNA3 card, according to a recent video by HardwareUnboxed. And Intel are seem to be releasing their own version of Frame Generation tech soon as well. Hope more game dev's start adopting XeSS so it becomes more popular.
MiniPC with 6600M or 6650M, quite a few. Waiting for 7600M or newer because I want 4K@144 on HDMI support.

There are barely any MiniPC with RTX 4060, and the few ones that do exist are not worth the cost (usually around double, and we are not gaining double the performance).
Example:
Going from 780M to 6600M is around 1.5X the price, while you get 3X the performance. Going from 6600M to RTX 4060, it is around 2X the price, while you get 1.5X the performance.

Then you have MiniPC with Arc GPU which perform subpar compared to AMD/nVidia.

Just a bit-tech fan

@heffeque @Neenyah @sya @charlemagne

"Something that's concerned me has been the huge focus on frame rates; surely image quality should be just as important?"

"So much of the focus here seems to be with frame rates and prices and so little enthusiasm evident for what Nvidia promises to be much better-looking games."

bit-tech.net/blogs/tech/graphics/why-you-shouldnt-dismiss-nvidias-rtx-graphics-cards/1/

Neenyah

Quote from: Just a bit-tech fan on December 19, 2023, 13:58:57@heffeque @Neenyah @sya @charlemagne

"Something that's concerned me has been the huge focus on frame rates; surely image quality should be just as important?"

"So much of the focus here seems to be with frame rates and prices and so little enthusiasm evident for what Nvidia promises to be much better-looking games."

bit-tech.net/blogs/tech/graphics/why-you-shouldnt-dismiss-nvidias-rtx-graphics-cards/1/

Yes, I agree with that.

Quote from: Neenyah on December 16, 2023, 12:01:34The 6800 XT is just casually outperforming the 7800 XT in every single scenario where I need it (Counter Strike 2 primarily) - for much lower price. What's not to love there? 😁 And the RX 6600 is pushing literally every game I play at ultra/maxed settings with 70-120 fps at my laptop's 1440p screen (about 30% more fps with same settings on external screen) all while consuming less than 100W and being dead-silent.

A

I kinda haven't owned a nVidia or AMD GPU for ages and I can't agree more. Eventually more and more people will stop buying "the best GPU they can get", but will get "enough GPU for their needs" instead.

* Light gaming - just use iGPU, you will not lose anything in a good game if it's on Medium/High and not on Ultra
* Gaming - get a console already
* Heavy gaming on Ultra whatever - GeForceNow or similar service
* oh ima mom's competitive gamer me needz 4500fps - just go touch grass
* AI - don't need GPU since wink wink unified RAM (probably the next thing Intel will advertise as "world's first", like they do with NPU now)
* Heavy AI - rent any number of GPUs, they are $10K+ each, gl buying them anyway

RobertJasiek

Quote from: A on December 19, 2023, 15:04:17* AI - don't need GPU since wink wink unified RAM

As I have explained to you before, AI gaming ought to use a Nvidia GPU.

Toortle

Quote from: A on December 19, 2023, 15:04:17* AI - don't need GPU since wink wink unified RAM (probably the next thing Intel will advertise as "world's first", like they do with NPU now)
We get it from your posts, Apple is perfect and so on, no one can achieve their perfection blablabla, but how about stop sucking Apple's 🍆? Unified RAM is literally nothing else but shared RAM with Apple's "magic" naming. Integrated graphics use it for about 20 years now, probably even more.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_processing_unit#Integrated_graphics

And it's actually Apple who claim that they do and innovate everything first, like you know - USB-C in iPhone.

Toortle

"Integrated graphics processing unit (IGPU), integrated graphics, shared graphics solutions, integrated graphics processors (IGP), or unified memory architecture (UMA) use a portion of a computer's system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory."

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview