News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

RTX 4060-powered Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 QHD gaming laptop with AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS now 31% off

Started by Redaktion, December 14, 2023, 23:55:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The 14-inch gaming laptop from Asus is a quite portable mobile companion for gamers who are not necessarily looking for neck-breaking performance, but a reasonably equipped notebook with a powerful Zen 4-based AMD CPU and an RTX 4060 for roughly $1,000.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/RTX-4060-powered-Asus-ROG-Zephyrus-G14-QHD-gaming-laptop-with-AMD-Ryzen-9-7940HS-now-31-off.783533.0.html

vekspec01

Or you can get the Legion 5 Slim 14 OLED for same price like I did, Bestbuy sale went up right after the G14, which is a much better laptop imo. You lose upgradable memory, tbh 1 slot still is bad, but you gain an extra nvme slow and it runs cooler and you get oled which after using it for a week hard to go back to ips.

Enma45

Quote from: vekspec01 on December 15, 2023, 01:41:44Or you can get the Legion 5 Slim 14 OLED for same price like I did, Bestbuy sale went up right after the G14, which is a much better laptop imo. You lose upgradable memory, tbh 1 slot still is bad, but you gain an extra nvme slow and it runs cooler and you get oled which after using it for a week hard to go back to ips.
+1 You are absolutely right, once you use an OLED screen you won't go back.
This laptop has very good features but the Legion 5 Slim 14 OLED, although you have to pay a little more, it is worth it, do not forget that these laptops have artificial intelligence, not like the Intel 12 gen and 13 gen, now the 14 gen has been released but there are still What to see if it surpasses AMD

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Enma45 on December 15, 2023, 17:57:17once you use an OLED screen you won't go back.

I won't try OLED as long as there are flickering, glare surface, burn-in and shorter life.

George

A killobuck for a laptop in this class is a AWESOME deal for sure!

I bought the more expensive 4070 version 6mo ago and it is a fine system. YES it does run warm (I sit it on a lap-fan base to keep my legs cool!).

It can run everything I've tossed at it so far with Ultimate settings! :)

Personally IDK if I'd want to give up the extra memory slot with the other model. I plunked a 16GB stick into mine shortly after getting it 'just because it was there'. :)

Sadly, Best Buy ONLY has the White version.

ArsLoginName

Yep. Only white for AMD G14 in the US with the 4070 or the 4060.  Abe someday Asus will give us a nice gray laptop again in the G14 so it also can be used as a business laptop in disguise.

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 15, 2023, 19:33:17I won't try OLED as long as there are flickering, glare surface, burn-in and shorter life.
Only burn-in is credible here, the rest is bs of a person who never tried.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: A on December 19, 2023, 08:47:23
Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 15, 2023, 19:33:17I won't try OLED as long as there are flickering, glare surface, burn-in and shorter life.
Only burn-in is credible here, the rest is bs of a person who never tried.

Flickering: I do not "try" it for decades to then possibly be told to have injured my eyes permanently. I also do not try it for a few weeks to then possibly find out to get headaches, as some do. Flickering is an unnecessary health risk even if one does not perceive it visually.

Glare surface: I have been forced to "try" it on my iPad Mini 4 for 8 years now. Despite its significant reduction of reflections, they are still very prominant and I hate them as much as I have hated them for decades. Contrarily, I have been using matte displays in other devices and have always greatly enjoyed them. So do not tell me I should try the terrible glare any more than cannot be avoided.

Shorter life: there have been enough reports confirming it. I do not need to take any risk by trying whether I would also be affected.

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 09:32:08Flickering: I do not "try" it for decades to then possibly be told to have injured my eyes permanently.
So you allow average internet idiot like NikoB to affect your decisions while there are lots of OLED users, including me, with undamaged eyes and no headaches, and very satisfied, okay. I know some people are also still afraid of BT headphones, because you know, radiation. Keep on.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 09:32:08I have been forced to "try" it on my iPad Mini 4 for 8 years now. Despite its significant reduction of reflections, they are still very prominant and I hate them as much as I have hated them for decades.
Told you already, get a display with good anti-glare (iPad Mini 4 doesn't even have it) and bright enough to beat reflections, like your phone does.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 09:32:08Shorter life: there have been enough reports confirming it
Nope

RobertJasiek

Quote from: A on December 19, 2023, 12:03:26average internet idiot like NikoB

Please respect other people.

Quoteto affect your decisions

I made my related decision ca. 48 years ago on experiencing neon tubes, which were really bad at that time. That is, long before (I knew) the internet. For health decisions, I take many factors into account - not just an opinion of one person.

Quotewhile there are lots of OLED users, including me, with undamaged eyes and no headaches, and very satisfied,

1) Different people are affected differently.

2) None of the OLED users could use it for decades because this type of displays is comparatively new. Therefore, practical long-term impact on health is unknown. That many people are willing to take related risks is their decision for themselves but this does not make it also my decision.

Quoteget a display with good anti-glare (iPad Mini 4 doesn't even have it) and bright enough to beat reflections

Good idea, which I have had for decades. However, there has not ever been any acceptable tablet with
- (semi-)matte display
- ca. 4:3
- at least reasonably long battery life
There were crap (Amazon tablets) or 16:9 tablets (Wacom / matte, Fujitsu / semi-matte) or 4:3 ebook readers (video viewing makes no sense, colours are bad, refresh times are bad).

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 12:34:08Please respect other people.
If I see an idiot, I respectfully call him an idiot.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 12:34:081) Different people are affected differently.
2) None of the OLED users could use it for decades because this type of displays is comparatively new. Therefore, practical long-term impact on health is unknown. That many people are willing to take related risks is their decision for themselves but this does not make it also my decision.
What an uneducated mess of a man. There is no medical controlled double-blind evidence of "PWM sensitivity" outside of epilepsy and migraine. Start here and do your homework.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 12:34:08Good idea, which I have had for decades. However, there has not ever been any acceptable tablet with
- (semi-)matte display
- ca. 4:3
- at least reasonably long battery life
Maybe there is a reason why 3.5 hypochondriacs are not the target audience.

RobertJasiek

As so often, you make a wrong assumption (only few people would want matte displays - see x64 demand for them) to make a wrong conclusion (only a tiny number for tablets).

A

Quote from: RobertJasiek on December 19, 2023, 15:04:02As so often, you make a wrong assumption (only few people would want matte displays - see x64 demand for them) to make a wrong conclusion (only a tiny number for tablets).
Who is buying out all the glossy laptops then, lol. Bill Gates and worldwide cabal, to skew sale statistics and hide the "fact" MAJORITY "wants matte"? )))
Matte days outside of desktop screens are basically over because matte isn't really looking better than glossy in the light. It's just two different kinds of bad. But if brightness can push 1000+ nits, like your phone, you don't even notice it's glossy too much, at least you've never mentioned your phone being glossy in this convo.

So just don't be a retrograde.

RobertJasiek

That many buy glare coexists with many buying matte.

High brightness kills battery life. Indoors, it also hurts my eyes so cannot be used to outshine reflections.

Retro? No. Our old CRT TVs were glossy. Matte came with LCDs in TVs and computers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview