News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP 250 G9 review - An affordable office laptop with a Core i3 and an IPS panel

Started by Redaktion, December 08, 2023, 14:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the 250 G9, HP is offering a reasonably-priced 15.6-inch office laptop equipped with an Intel Core i3 processor and a matte IPS display - all of which can be had for around $390. The device's performance is sufficient for basic tasks but the fan quickly gets annoying.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-250-G9-review-An-affordable-office-laptop-with-a-Core-i3-and-an-IPS-panel.779894.0.html

NikoB

This is some kind of endless shame on HP.

Processor performance at the Zen+(!) 3500U-3700U level from 2019!

It's much louder than Lenovo's 2019 S340!

It doesn't even have a backlit keyboard - that's a shame! While the S340 had excellent backlighting for the same money.

I don't believe the author of the review who claims that the contrast is 1700:1 - such a cheap panel has a real contrast of no more than 800:1 and I directly advise people to rely on my figure, and not the figure from the review.

At the end of 2023, delivering the shameful 8GB of memory in single-channel mode will no longer be possible. At least they delivered 8+8 right away for the money. Or one stick for 16, so that the owner can immediately add a second one and get a comfortable 32GB. Although with such a slow processor, 32GB makes almost no sense.

This laptop is a vivid example of how large manufacturers clear their warehouses of outright garbage that is 4 years out of date at an inflated price...

I wouldn't even take this garbage to the office at the end of 2023 - this is frankly not a profitable deal on HP's part, even for small companies. It's better to look for something that will actually be 2-3 times faster and immediately with 16GB for the same money. I'm sure they will find such solutions on the market.

jakub

"With the device turned on, the charging time is a little over two years."
... Thats quite a long time!

Starjack

"Processor performance at the Zen+(!) 3500U-3700U level from 2019!"

Not even close. The i3 is at least 30% faster than those AMD chips. Not to mention the Zen+ is much older architect than Alder Lake. You're exaggerating. 

"At the end of 2023, delivering the shameful 8GB of memory in single-channel mode will no longer be possible. At least they delivered 8+8 right away for the money. Or one stick for 16, so that the owner can immediately add a second one and get a comfortable 32GB. Although with such a slow processor, 32GB makes almost no sense."

I have recently updated RAM to 16GB (8+8) on my i3-1215u powered Lenovo laptop.I could open many tabs on any browser or play a game whilst doing a background task at the same time with ease. I think you're underestimating the i3, even if use for mostly business stuff.

NikoB

Quote from: Starjack on December 12, 2023, 04:23:38Not even close. The i3 is at least 30% faster than those AMD chips. Not to mention the Zen+ is much older architect than Alder Lake. You're exaggerating. 
3500U with TDP 11-15W get ~626-640 points in CBR15 and is stable and quite quiet in the same Lenovo S340. For this "miracle" from Intel 2023, I see only a shameful ~670 points, which is close to 3500U and almost equal to 3700U.

There is no trace of +30% with sustained performance. This is your fantasy. The gain is only in momentum (+24%), i.e. open page, as soon as it comes to increased load, the i3 1215U immediately turns into a rotten pumpkin with the performance of 4 years ago. And it has exactly the same number of threads as the 3500U/3700U of 2019 - 8. So where are all these advantages in both the technical process and core optimization over the course of 5 years? This is a shame for Intel, given the success of AMD even in 2019, when they continued to sell outdated Zen+ cores instead of Zen2 for another year.

Starjack

3500U with TDP 11-15W get ~626-640 points in CBR15 and is stable and quite quiet in the same Lenovo S340. For this "miracle" from Intel 2023, I see only a shameful ~670 points, which is close to 3500U and almost equal to 3700U.

Numbers is on thing, but when put in real world performance that's hardly noticeable.

There is no trace of +30% with sustained performance. This is your fantasy. The gain is only in momentum (+24%), i.e. open page, as soon as it comes to increased load, the i3 1215U immediately turns into a rotten pumpkin with the performance of 4 years ago. And it has exactly the same number of threads as the 3500U/3700U of 2019 - 8. So where are all these advantages in both the technical process and core optimization over the course of 5 years? This is a shame for Intel, given the success of AMD even in 2019, when they continued to sell outdated Zen+ cores instead of Zen2 for another year.

This wasn't my fantasy, this is what based on comparisons made using notebookcheck's tool. Before making a bit bold comment, check it yourself. I'm more see this as you having some vendetta against Intel as you're trying hard to force beliefs on others about Intel's products as always bad whilst keep praising AMD. Only a fanboy would do that. I don't experience slow down with my i3 processor especially for normal usage. I does be performing benchmarks on it and it still remains on top of the game.

NikoB

Anyone who has been reading my comments constantly, for several years here, will only laugh at your assumptions that I am a fanboy of some manufacturer.

The facts are that your laptop is extremely slow by modern standards. And there is no progress.

The S340 2019 at least had a high-quality keyboard backlight for the same money, but this one doesn't even have that.

It's quite sad that after 4 years you can buy exactly the same laptop in terms of speed for about the same money, and even without a backlit keyboard. And it doesn't even have a 2.5" slot or a second m.2 slot for easy SSD expansion.

The only plus is RJ45 + 2 memory slots - but what's the point of 32-64GB with such an outdated processor? It is pointless. If it were at least 3 times faster, it would make sense for the future, but it simply doesn't.

Starjack

Anyone who has been reading my comments constantly, for several years here, will only laugh at your assumptions that I am a fanboy of some manufacturer.

The facts are that your laptop is extremely slow by modern standards. And there is no progress.

It is faster than my last system (which btw was powered by an AMD chip) and everything is up to date so who cares what you say. You just giving yourself comfort of knowing things when you don't actually see it for yourself.

The S340 2019 at least had a high-quality keyboard backlight for the same money, but this one doesn't even have that.

Mines also have a keyboard with backlight. It's not this laptop though, my laptop is a Lenovo.

It's quite sad that after 4 years you can buy exactly the same laptop in terms of speed for about the same money, and even without a backlit keyboard. And it doesn't even have a 2.5" slot or a second m.2 slot for easy SSD expansion.

I think you're confused. I don't have this particular laptop, i said i have a Lenovo.

The only plus is RJ45 + 2 memory slots - but what's the point of 32-64GB with such an outdated processor? It is pointless. If it were at least 3 times faster, it would make sense for the future, but it simply doesn't.

The i3 processor did come out early last year. I might not call it outdated even when there's available updates for some years. I don't need 32-64GB to satisfied whatever i get when i fine with 16GB in dual channel mode. The thing about you is that you assumed everything. You assumed when people get this processor that is slow. If that's case, why is it much faster than my last system? Some of yesteryear i5s, i7s or Ryzen first gen ZEN or ZEN+ chipsets couldn't reach its performance, not even compete close with its single core performance. I'm sure you're gonna put a spin on this too, just to make it not true when it is. But i hope all this is not because you confused with me having this laptop (HP 250 G9) when i don't have it. Same processor though but different laptop.

NikoB

Quote from: Starjack on December 13, 2023, 22:53:25It's not this laptop though, my laptop is a Lenovo.
I have only one question - why did you get into a thread with claims about performance in another laptop when the HP model is being discussed here? Given that HP has always been famous for lower processor performance in cheap laptops, compared to Lenovo, by at least 15%? Even in a Lenovo laptop (where you probably have neither RJ45 nor 2 memory slots), performance after 4 years will still be depressing with Intel. Compared to competitors from AMD of the same year.

By the way, I had the opportunity to test the Acer Aspire 5 with i5 1235U and its performance saddened me, and it performance is clearly higher than that of this HP model.

Starjack

I have only one question - why did you get into a thread with claims about performance in another laptop when the HP model is being discussed here? Given that HP has always been famous for lower processor performance in cheap laptops, compared to Lenovo, by at least 15%? Even in a Lenovo laptop (where you probably have neither RJ45 nor 2 memory slots), performance after 4 years will still be depressing with Intel. Compared to competitors from AMD of the same year.

Pal you know the answer. The fact that my laptop is using the same processor as inside this HP device makes me curious about its performance is why I'm here. Everytime i see a similar product or similar device even is inside a different model, i want to see how it performs related to my laptop. Are you telling me i don't have the right for that? And what claims?

"I have recently updated RAM to 16GB (8+8) on my i3-1215u powered Lenovo laptop.I could open many tabs on any browser or play a game whilst doing a background task at the same time with ease. I think you're underestimating the i3, even if use for mostly business stuff." That?

First of all, this is only due to the fact that HP and my laptop uses the same processor, did you not say it is slow (the processor?) Or is the notebook slow? Are you underestimating the i3 CPU generally or just the one inside the HP notebook? Are there any rules here about not bringing another device over another into discussion, even if it uses a similar component? Show me that i would understand.

By the way, I had the opportunity to test the Acer Aspire 5 with i5 1235U and its performance saddened me, and it performance is clearly higher than that of this HP model.

Well i don't know much about the i5 1235U so i can't say much.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview