News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Cybertruck is hard to make without panel gaps as bird droppings may result in stainless steel sanding

Started by Redaktion, November 28, 2023, 18:03:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

With the last great stainless steel car being a DeLorean, the Cybertruck's finish might require higher maintenance than the choice of body material would suggest. Tesla engineers have now disclosed how hard to form and fit the stainless steel panels turned out to be.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Cybertruck-is-hard-to-make-without-panel-gaps-as-bird-droppings-may-result-in-stainless-steel-sanding.775094.0.html

Simon B

It's a terrible material for cars.  Despite the mangled Engineering syntax in the article they got it about right. 

You have work hardening issues
You have residual stress issues
Both of the above make it much harder to achieve acceptable panels

It is miserably hard to keep a uniform surface look

If you dent it good luck ever getting a successful PDR with a work hardening material

Basically the person who decided to use it was a dummy.

Adkopac

Is it a coincidence that this smear article shows up right before the production premiere?  Seriously?
This article can be stacked right with the rest Of the Tesla FUD in the recycle bin.

vadertime

Boy, I never realized that stainless steel was such a pain in the arse to maintain. I guess it makes sense since I've noticed how my stainless steel cutlery stains, because of whatever the city is putting in the water. I wash it and quickly wipe it down before storing it. Similarly, I am sure that environmental influences, such as bird droppings, might stain the stainless steel. Now I can appreciate the use of automotive paint on cars as both protection from the elements as well as adding aesthetic qualities to a vehicle. Cheers.

AstroRuben

Chief10

Other cars I have owned seem to solve this gap problem with some sort of elastic type black filler that I've seen (last car was 17 years old kept outside).  Can't they use something like that?

Stevue

Just use Johnsons Baby oil to clean the steel.works wonders on steel kitchen appliances, so the wife tells me 😁

Stephen Hodges

I only realised late in life that stainless steel is terribly honestly named. It stains less, than mild steel, but it still stains.

David greenberg

There is a small independent company in England making cars by hand called the little car company, they mange perfectly formed cars no gaps or anything, if they can manage it surely Tesla can.

Da General

Bartender buddy cleaner is the best stainless cleaner or there. Simple easy as wiping on and wiping off. Delorean owners have used it for years. Way better than anything else as finish is excellent. Also delorean owners refinish the brushed look with a wool type drill bit.
As for me when I get mine it will go straight to the paint shop and get a flat olive drab or black paint with appropriate stencils to look like the  Cobra or stealth fighter. Then this will not be an issue.

Hris

Quote from: Stephen Hodges on November 29, 2023, 20:19:09I only realised late in life that stainless steel is terribly honestly named. It stains less, than mild steel, but it still stains.
"Stainless" "stain less" not "stain proof"

A

Quote from: Da General on November 30, 2023, 15:54:59As for me when I get mine it will go straight to the paint shop and get a flat olive drab or black paint with appropriate stencils to look like the  Cobra or stealth fighter. Then this will not be an issue.
So you are paying for that unusual unique stainless steel look and then paying again to paint over it. Sounds like 4000 IQ idea. )

Elon's cow

Quote from: Adkopac on November 29, 2023, 15:11:53Is it a coincidence that this smear article shows up right before the production premiere?  Seriously?
This article can be stacked right with the rest Of the Tesla FUD in the recycle bin.

I know, facts are hard, but on the bright side you can toss these into the back of your Cybertruck. It looks like a dumpster, afterall...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview