News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple MacBook Pro 16 2023 M3 Pro review - Efficiency before performance

Started by Redaktion, November 24, 2023, 21:29:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The basic version of the new MacBook Pro 16 is equipped with the full version of the Apple M3 Pro, although that doesn't offer much more performance than the M2 Pro. On the other hand, the basic SSD has become faster again, and the maximum SDR brightness was increased. In addition, an improved efficiency allows for an extremely long battery life.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-16-2023-M3-Pro-review-Efficiency-before-performance.772025.0.html

Julian M

Given how the unbinned M3 Pro barely a sidegrade compared to an unbinned M2 Pro, it really sounds like Apple crippled it on purpose to make the M3 Max shine - which wouldn't be a problem if the Macbook Pro it powered didn't start at $3k.

Efficiency over performance is miffed, nobody buys a MBP for efficiency - there's the Macbook Air if one wants efficiency (and it's much cheaper).

A

Quote from: Julian M on November 24, 2023, 21:55:44there's the Macbook Air if one wants efficiency
They have about the same battery life actually, 16 M Pro and 15 Air, 14 M Pro and 13 Air. Battery is bigger.

joegalamb

Quote from: Julian M on November 24, 2023, 21:55:44(...)nobody buys a MBP for efficiency - there's the Macbook Air if one wants efficiency (and it's much cheaper).

There are people who want the big beautiful miniLED display, the great speakers, but do not need the power. They actually care about efficiency. For them this new Pro chip is perfect. Longer battery life is always welcome.

Julian M

Quote from: joegalamb on November 24, 2023, 22:54:05
Quote from: Julian M on November 24, 2023, 21:55:44(...)nobody buys a MBP for efficiency - there's the Macbook Air if one wants efficiency (and it's much cheaper).

There are people who want the big beautiful miniLED display, the great speakers, but do not need the power. They actually care about efficiency. For them this new Pro chip is perfect. Longer battery life is always welcome.
Enjoy the flickering.

NikoB

Any screen with PWM significantly higher than 1 kHz no longer poses any special problems, even for people who are sensitive to this and have a fast nervous system.

You need to pay attention only to the flickering, which is clearly visible on the standard "pencil" test or on the camera - if at working and minimum brightness no pencil phases or brightness changes are visible on the camera, the screen as a whole is sufficient from the point of view of safety for the nervous system.

I personally (and I am very sensitive to this topic) do not experience any particular problems with screens where the flicker frequency exceeds 1 kHz with a minimum amplitude. Already at 2 kHz everything is generally quite good. If you believe the data from the review (and there is always doubt about this data), then 14 kHz (if, of course, you believe the author, who assures that there is no difference with another Apple model in terms of screen and did not do tests) is more than sufficient PWM frequency so that no one will notice the presence of flickering even with peripheral vision.

The problem with AMOLED screens is precisely that due to very rapid burnout (and as a consequence - rapid destabilization of color rendition accuracy, and it is already unimportant after hardware calibrations, as many local reviews show, if you believe them), there It is physically impossible to increase the duty cycle of the pulses - burnout will only accelerate. Low flicker frequency (low duty cycle) is intended to limit the destructive tendencies of OLED at operating brightness levels, where color accuracy is also worse for OLED than at high brightness. Any attempts to increase the PWM frequency on AMOLED lead to problems - clearly visible banding (especially in dynamics), which is a consequence of deterioration in color depth (details), as well as a reduction in the resource of organic LEDs, which are significantly inferior to single-color IPS/VA backlighting.

MiniLED, for that matter, has a bigger problem with ghosting around objects at zone boundaries than with the switching frequency. Some people write in reviews that on monitors (where there is a manual switch off of the multi-zone backlight to the level of a regular single-zone), they cannot withstand these defects and switch to single-zone backlight, despite a significant drop in contrast in other areas of the screen where there are no luminous pixels. So miniLED is a crutch in an attempt to emulate AMOLED in contrast (black level) using previously unsuitable means.

And so far there is no hope for microLED, which still cannot be launched into series on large screens. If it also has low-frequency PWM (due to the glow of each subpixel independently and therefore problems with the resource due to its small size), then there is no point in waiting for it either. Understanding this problem, manufacturers do not want to produce flickering screens that offer nothing compared to AMOLED, which is why microLED still does not exist, despite Apple's attempts to make them on its own.

So today only IPS/VA with sufficient contrast (from 1500:1) are comfortable for the eyes. And miniLED is a crutch to hold out until the "holy grail" that everyone still believes in - microLED.

AMOLED is good in dynamic pictures - in video and partly in dynamic games. For working with a static image, this is an extremely unsuccessful technology today.

A

Is it just me or NikoB just accepted MiniLED is king today without his usual bs about HDR10 etc.
I'm glad our conversations are making you smarter, boi.

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 14:22:28So today only IPS/VA with sufficient contrast (from 1500:1) are comfortable for the eyes.
Still can't live without bs though, yeah?

NikoB

Quote from: A on November 25, 2023, 14:34:17NikoB just accepted MiniLED is king today
Young man, you are seriously sick in the head if, after everything I have written, you are still making futile attempts with such nonsense.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 14:44:26Young man, you are seriously sick in the head if, after everything I have written, you are still making futile attempts with such nonsense.
Yeah, all-in insulting is NikoB's way to admit he was wrong (as usual).

NikoB

Readers can easily find, whoever is not too lazy, who started it all, so pot calls the kettle black, you are our pathetic, low-paid bot.

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 15:33:28Readers can easily find, whoever is not too lazy, who started it all, so pot calls the kettle black, you are our pathetic, low-paid bot.
There's no 'readers', kiddo, they exist only in your head. Noone's reading this. And we both know that it started with your marxist bs about 'unfair prices' and bs about ram bandwidth tests. So there's nobody to even read your powerless angry insults after you were proved wrong. Which is a pity actually, because it's funny - you really kinda expect sore loser from Internet like you can be taken seriously enough to get someone insulted. )

NikoB

If no one is reading, why are you pathetic, corrupt and underpaid bots attached to me? Ignore me! =)

"I've been chasing you for three days to tell you how indifferent you are to me." (с)

A

Quote from: NikoB on November 26, 2023, 13:54:05If no one is reading, why are you pathetic, corrupt and underpaid bots attached to me? Ignore me! =)
"I've been chasing you for three days to tell you how indifferent you are to me." (с)
Nah, I never ignore clowns, they are funny. So me and you will stick here for a while boy.

Alexander_

Quote from: NikoB on November 25, 2023, 14:22:28And so far there is no hope for microLED
Seriously?!
And what about MiniLED from Asus.
There are no halos like Apple. And it is also matte! and 240Hz.

A

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview