News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP Pavilion Plus 14 Ryzen 7 laptop review: Changes in all the right places

Started by Redaktion, November 15, 2023, 02:33:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Last year's Core i7-12700H was fast, but the switch to Zen 4 has done wonders to battery life and efficiency without needing to sacrifice performance. The OLED display, fast integrated GPU, and affordable price point make the Pavilion Plus 14 an excellent option for students and most casual editors.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-Plus-14-Ryzen-7-laptop-review-Changes-in-all-the-right-places.765524.0.html

Poster

Really HP? 3200Mhz RAM speed for a Zen4 APU? Is at least 4800Mhz so much more expensive to implement?

For a plus model, why no USB4 even for a mid-ranged model? The competing model Slim pro 5 and others have Intel TB4.

QuoteWe were hoping to see USB4 support due to the Zen 4 CPU, but that is unfortunately not the case. You'll have to spend a bit more on an HP Envy or Spectre model for such a feature

The only AMD options in the entire Envy line is the Zen3 refresh (7030) on the envy x360, not even Zen3+ to take advantage of the better iGPU, or a dGPU that's available in the Intel variant.
This is ridiculous for an upper mid-range product and yet again, HP purposely not making certain options available for AMD models. And the prices are almost the same for both!

Ondro

Quote from: Poster on November 15, 2023, 04:46:42Really HP? 3200Mhz RAM speed for a Zen4 APU? Is at least 4800Mhz so much more expensive to implement?

For a plus model, why no USB4 even for a mid-ranged model? The competing model Slim pro 5 and others have Intel TB4.

I don't see it as tragic. 99% buyers in this category don't care about USB4 because they cannot utilize the speed of USB4. I see 3200MHz RAM as a bigger fail.
I would like to see fHD LCD with 400 nits and bigger color coverage. Don't need higher resolution on 14" but today's trends are OLED, high resolutions and refresh rates.

Birla

The model I see listed in my country and in China, has 16 GB LPDDR5x-6400 MHz RAM. Rest of the specs remain the same. Models in China have 7840HS and upto 32GB RAM options.

Buyer

So I actually just bought this laptop from Costco. 2 things

1. It is incorrect that this laptop comes with only 3200 MHz ram. It is 6400 MHz. The specs on Costco's website confirm this as well as I've confirmed it via task manager.

2. My laptop came with a Samsung SSD. Model is SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HDLU-00BH1. Seems like it is the OEM version of the 980 pro perhaps.

Neenyah

Quote from: Buyer on November 15, 2023, 17:31:231. It is incorrect that this laptop comes with only 3200 MHz ram. It is 6400 MHz. The specs on Costco's website
Yes, it also says the same on the HP site: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_9174005-9174073-16

"16 GB LPDDR5x-6400 MHz RAM (onboard)"

Enma45

Quote from: Buyer on November 15, 2023, 17:31:23So I actually just bought this laptop from Costco. 2 things

1. It is incorrect that this laptop comes with only 3200 MHz ram. It is 6400 MHz. The specs on Costco's website confirm this as well as I've confirmed it via task manager.

2. My laptop came with a Samsung SSD. Model is SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HDLU-00BH1. Seems like it is the OEM version of the 980 pro perhaps.
It seemed strange to me that with the Zen 4 Phoenix the ram was so low, the news is poorly written. There is a link on HP that reaffirms 16 GB LPDDR5x-6400 MHz RAM integrated.
Not having USB 4 is not a problem. I'm sure it can be updated through Driver. The price does surprise me, it's very cheap for everything it has. I hope these prices reach Europe, everything would be sold and I'm sure HP wouldn't have enough factories to produce here. In Germany everyone is looking for Zen 4 Phoenix.

Neenyah

Quote from: Enma45 on November 15, 2023, 19:07:08In Germany everyone is looking for Zen 4 Phoenix.
No one even wants M1-2-3 Apple, it's just 84,482,267 people looking for Zen 4, impressive.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Neenyah on November 15, 2023, 20:03:2884,482,267 people looking for Zen 4

Minus 1 as I, German, do not need any PC / notebook computer. Zen 4 for passive tablets is no good; too high TDP.

Neenyah

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 15, 2023, 20:42:19Minus 1 as I, German, do not need any PC / notebook computer. Zen 4 for passive tablets is no good; too high TDP.
Yeah, that is true sadly. Hopefully some nice and necessary improvements are coming soon with their 8000 series and with Intel's upcoming 15th gen (all "leaks" so far are pretty promising).

ArsLoginName

As others have brought up before, 7840U on TSMC 4 nm is yielding 7.5 min of Wi-Fi time per 1 Whr of battery capacity. Meanwhile good old 5000 series (today's 7030U) Zen 3 on TSMC 7 nm is getting is getting almost 9.7 min of Wi-Fi per 1 Whr battery capacity. Zen 4 and TSMC 4 nm are supposed to be much more efficient and not less efficient. Almost 33% more wi-fi time from a 3 year old notebook platform. What is wrong? Both of the laptops are using the same MediaTek MT7922 wi-if module so can't be module/driver.

Sebek

Quote from: ArsLoginName on November 20, 2023, 23:51:30As others have brought up before, 7840U on TSMC 4 nm is yielding 7.5 min of Wi-Fi time per 1 Whr of battery capacity. Meanwhile good old 5000 series (today's 7030U) Zen 3 on TSMC 7 nm is getting is getting almost 9.7 min of Wi-Fi per 1 Whr battery capacity. Zen 4 and TSMC 4 nm are supposed to be much more efficient and not less efficient. Almost 33% more wi-fi time from a 3 year old notebook platform. What is wrong? Both of the laptops are using the same MediaTek MT7922 wi-if module so can't be module/driver.

Is the zen 3 laptop also have the OLED?

OLED consume more battery

BDPC

Great article, thanks!  I just got mine in the mail yesterday after ordering on Thanksgiving.  After Cash Back from Rakuten, CB from Chase, and another code for HP, snagged it for about $550 after tax.  The screen is beautiful, and it runs well. 

Regarding performance, maybe you were sent a bad one.  I ran Cinebench 23 multi and scored 12440, and  PC Mark 10 Score of 6650, which were both a few percentage points and at or above average for the CPU/GPU combo.  Overall, well worth the money.

indy

Found this on Costco's site, and it's $100 off, ($799 total,) includes a 2 year warranty.  With most U.S. credit cards warranty status, can be extended to three year warranty automatically.

Very nice deal.

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview