News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Apple argues 8GB RAM on MacBook Pro is 'analogous' to 16GB on PCs

Started by Redaktion, November 08, 2023, 15:11:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple's choice of putting just 8GB of RAM in its entry-level products and even some 'Pro' products has always been met with severe criticism, and now,  Apple's VP of worldwide marketing Bob Borchers' recent claims have made things even more controversial.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-argues-8GB-RAM-on-MacBook-Pro-is-analogous-to-16GB-on-PCs.766331.0.html

kek

8 gb is 8gb. Thats like saying their 64gb iPhones were analogous to the 128gb storge

mixedfish

LL

It is even worse for Apple. Due to unified memory those 8GB also have to be in use for graphic proposes.

mirancar

Quote from: kek on November 08, 2023, 15:18:528 gb is 8gb. Thats like saying their 64gb iPhones were analogous to the 128gb storge
that's actually half true when you count in the fact they make much more compressed HEIC images compared to JPEGs. Also captured vids are in h265

for example my newer iphone goes much further real world usage of storage with 128gb than an older phone with the same 128gb. Therefor for the less savy tech people who only use computer/phone and dont care about specs, they could say "it's analogous to XY from before"

it's half true here also, for most people it seems to be good for now. I still think $1600 is too much, because the old air m1 from 3 years ago offered the same magic 8gb ram for $1000 and still sells for like $900, that has been incredible value for me. I have really zero issues with the lowest spec 8gb ram

ewgross

Quote from: mirancar on November 08, 2023, 16:05:26
Quote from: kek on November 08, 2023, 15:18:528 gb is 8gb. Thats like saying their 64gb iPhones were analogous to the 128gb storge
that's actually half true when you count in the fact they make much more compressed HEIC images compared to JPEGs. Also captured vids are in h265

for example my newer iphone goes much further real world usage of storage with 128gb than an older phone with the same 128gb. Therefor for the less savy tech people who only use computer/phone and dont care about specs, they could say "it's analogous to XY from before"

it's half true here also, for most people it seems to be good for now. I still think $1600 is too much, because the old air m1 from 3 years ago offered the same magic 8gb ram for $1000 and still sells for like $900, that has been incredible value for me. I have really zero issues with the lowest spec 8gb ram

that's cool you have zero issues with it but anyone paying $1600 for a brand new machine that only uses a pathetic 8gb of UNIFIED memory (aka both the cpu and GPU have to share it) should have a ton of issues with it. video editing or other content creation with an 8gb M-series Mac is actually worse than on an 8gb PC. At that price, you'd actually be pressed to find a PC without a dedicated GPU and PC's with dGPUs will have VRAM plus the system memory which would put it over 8gb total. People will find so many excuses to bend over backwards for Apple's price-gouging nonsense lol.

an0n

Do you think PC doesn't use the same? H265 encoder also has long been introduced in android since early 2015, almost every single chip sold now has natively support both encoding and decoding it. H265 play or process in any kind memory, use the same amount of space. 200mb memory use to play or process h265 video is the same whether you do in android, mac, Linux, or Windows.

I don't know why you, or most Apple customers, so love to justify what Apple did when clearly you're being tricked. You could get more than that with that amount of price but no, not only you are happy with it, also defend that they are doing the right thing. It's a Stockholm syndrome.

mirancar

Quote from: an0n on November 08, 2023, 17:05:06

Do you think PC doesn't use the same? H265 encoder also has long been introduced in android since early 2015, almost every single chip sold now has natively support both encoding and decoding it. H265 play or process in any kind memory, use the same amount of space. 200mb memory use to play or process h265 video is the same whether you do in android, mac, Linux, or Windows.

I don't know why you, or most Apple customers, so love to justify what Apple did when clearly you're being tricked. You could get more than that with that amount of price but no, not only you are happy with it, also defend that they are doing the right thing. It's a Stockholm syndrome.

no, they do not use the same. yes for h265 but NO for HEIC images which is significant!
actually it's really unbelievable at how poor the support on windows maschines is for such things. For example HDR support is also in a completely useless state. I use all this things. I got windows PC, apple laptop and iphone.

yes, I have installed a decoder for HEIC on windows but it's not HW accelerated and runs much slower

as i said, i don't justify only the PRICE, and that's because they are offering something with much better value from their own lineup since 3 years.

Neenyah

Quote from: mirancar on November 08, 2023, 17:29:16
Quote from: an0n on November 08, 2023, 17:05:06Do you think PC doesn't use the same? H265 encoder also has long been introduced in android since early 2015, almost every single chip sold now has natively support both encoding and decoding it. H265 play or process in any kind memory, use the same amount of space. 200mb memory use to play or process h265 video is the same whether you do in android, mac, Linux, or Windows.

no, they do not use the same. yes for h265 but NO for HEIC images which is significant!
actually it's really unbelievable at how poor the support on windows maschines is for such things.
I have a cheap Redmi 10C phone with Android 13. Works great, I shoot photos in HEIC (with its stock camera) and videos in H.265 (also with its stock camera). No issues at all. Both HEIC and H.265 are fully supported in Windows so no idea what is the meaning of "actually it's really unbelievable at how poor the support on windows maschines is for such things.", lol.

NikoB

Quote from: Neenyah on November 08, 2023, 19:57:17I have a cheap Redmi 10C phone with Android 13. Works great, I shoot photos in HEIC (with its stock camera) and videos in H.265 (also with its stock camera). No issues at all.
You have one big problem - your video recording is technically and qualitatively outdated. My old smartphone from 2015 shoots 4k@30fps 48Mbps in H264/192kbps aac audio and I can bet that the video from my old smartphone is many times better in terms of sharpness than from your 2022. In addition, 4k gives you a free zoom x2 in fhd. =)

Apple is strong in intoxicating the lower "middle class", and not in the level of components. ))

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on November 09, 2023, 00:11:47
Quote from: Neenyah on November 08, 2023, 19:57:17I have a cheap Redmi 10C phone with Android 13. Works great, I shoot photos in HEIC (with its stock camera) and videos in H.265 (also with its stock camera). No issues at all.
You have one big problem - your video recording is technically and qualitatively outdated. My old smartphone from 2015 shoots 4k@30fps 48Mbps in H264/192kbps aac audio and I can bet that the video from my old smartphone is many times better in terms of sharpness than from your 2022. In addition, 4k gives you a free zoom x2 in fhd. =)
Yeah, I'm devastated. I'll have to take my old LG G2 out (from 2013) that's capable to do 60 Mbps 1080p 60 fps with 192 kbps audio and true 4K 30 fps ~40 Mbps with GCam. Its battery is crap now but if I have one big problem to share a random clips to my friends over IMs...

Edit: Oh yeah, it also has great OIS and fast autofocus.

mirancar

Quote from: Neenyah on November 08, 2023, 19:57:17
Quote from: mirancar on November 08, 2023, 17:29:16
Quote from: an0n on November 08, 2023, 17:05:06Do you think PC doesn't use the same? H265 encoder also has long been introduced in android since early 2015, almost every single chip sold now has natively support both encoding and decoding it. H265 play or process in any kind memory, use the same amount of space. 200mb memory use to play or process h265 video is the same whether you do in android, mac, Linux, or Windows.

actually it's really unbelievable at how poor the support on windows maschines is for such things.
I have a cheap Redmi 10C phone with Android 13. Works great, I shoot photos in HEIC (with its stock camera) and videos in H.265 (also with its stock camera). No issues at all. Both HEIC and H.265 are fully supported in Windows so no idea what is the meaning of "actually it's really unbelievable at how poor the support on windows maschines is for such things.", lol.
windows out of the box does not support HEIC images. you must install some windows store plugin. many people dont care what that is and will just assume "doesn't work". And even then the experience is slow when having 1000 heic images in a folder instead of standard jpegs because there is no hardware decoding (on latest nvidia rtx 4000 gpu!). this scenario is very usual by just transfering phone photos.

and please learn to read carefully. my first exact words are as follows: "for example my newer iphone goes much further real world usage of storage with 128gb than an older phone with the same 128gb. "
i dont care about your newer redmi phone, never even mentioned android, it's all just about "the new 128gb goes further than the old 128gb". in similar fashion "the new 8gb feels like the old 16gb". for the most part, this is actually true

Neenyah

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21windows out of the box does not support HEIC images.
Except it does since they switched to a new Photos app a couple of months back.

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21you must install some windows store plugin.
Yes that's true for the old Photos app, now called Photos Legacy.

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21many people dont care what that is and will just assume "doesn't work". And even then the experience is slow when having 1000 heic images in a folder instead of standard jpegs because there is no hardware decoding (on latest nvidia rtx 4000 gpu!). this scenario is very usual by just transfering phone photos.
Never had an issue of it being slow with 108 MP HEIC/HEIF images taken with my gf's Galaxy Note20 Ultra, talking about hundreds of photos at once. Quick Sync doing its job just fine as its purpose is not just video but also image decoding; it converts the files to thumbnails and transcodes them when viewing them, all fast and snappy. Never tried with my 3060 though.

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21and please learn to read carefully. my first exact words are as follows: "for example my newer iphone goes much further real world usage of storage with 128gb than an older phone with the same 128gb. "
I have to learn to read carefully while you read "Neenyah" as "an0n" (the other person who was replying to you)? Ok.

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21i dont care about your newer redmi phone, never even mentioned android,
Yeah, but he did:

And you replied to him:

Quote from: mirancar on November 08, 2023, 17:29:16no, they do not use the same. yes for h265 but NO for HEIC images which is significant!

So he included Android, you adamantly replied with "no", even bolded the whole part while you ignored that all and kept talking about just Windows, I mentioned Android phone which I use (and it's a very cheap phone so it's not that HEIC is reserved just for flagships) and now you don't care about (my) Android? Ok, lol.

Let me repeat your own words please:

Quote from: mirancar on November 09, 2023, 00:33:21and please learn to read carefully

Cheers.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview