News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 11 Laptop Review: Virtual machine beast with CPU trouble

Started by Redaktion, November 08, 2023, 08:43:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon G11 is the first model of this line with up to 64 GB of RAM. To get this amount of RAM, users have to buy a version with the most powerful P28-CPU, the i7-1370P. Unfortunately, as our review shows, this CPU is ill-suited for this elegant business laptop.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-Gen-11-Laptop-Review-Virtual-machine-beast-with-CPU-trouble.759626.0.html

Davethegray

Look again at the PWM: at higher (but way below max) brightness levels like 6/10 (which is probably 1/3) of max luminance/voltage) the variations in voltage/luminance are tiny compare to the average.
So although the PWM frequency is low, at these brightness levels it is not impactful.

Actually it is a very good point to make to readers that 6/10 looks like a healthy low-light setting for prolonged use ; avoid going below 5/10.

Zooming in close and losing site of the absolute levels is misleading.

PHVM_BR

Ridiculous that Lenovo makes this CPU available for this notebook with this long-term power limit.

28W is the minimum acceptable for these 6 P-core/8 E-core.
Anything less is making a fool of the consumer!

Neenyah

Beautiful laptop but holy hell I will never understand why do OEMs put a powerful CPU PLUS OLED combo unless it's a thicker & heavier desktop-replacement laptop. Like seriously, wtf? It's a slam-dunk guarantee to get short battery life 🙄🔫

RobertJasiek

PR managers think that mirroring OLED was good for dull PR while they think that battery life and display flickering were unsuitable for informed PR. The dull customer decides in the first second choosing the shiny, colourful display while the informed customer seeks lasting, healthy value.

Neenyah

Bizarro_NikoB

I can't see buying this when the T14/T14s AMD variants are viable competitors with better battery life and better thermals and not that much thicker.

ariliquin

Why not compare this to the Apple Macbook Pro, this is a valid option and comparison. AMD is not the only competitor in the notebook space. 

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on November 09, 2023, 00:33:34while the informed customer seeks lasting, healthy value
care to share what hardware you are running? we already have an 'informed customer' with some s*** laptop even in terms of 2018.
very interested to find out what is other 'informed customer' writing his opuses on.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: lmao on February 28, 2024, 12:06:28what hardware you are running?

You might have found it by search but here for your convenience:

7100U barebone with passive cooling for office applications. (Fast enough. What matters is silence.)

8C/16T + 4070 (with Tensor RT libraries) + 64GB desktop at ca. 37dB for Go AI. (For this application, the hardware components are well balanced, except that the 12GB VRAM is a total overkill as long as I do not use other dGPU applications.)

iPad mini 4 16GB for tablet use. (Desparately waiting for a Windows tablet with similar hardware, albeit much more storage.)

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 28, 2024, 13:57:12
Quote from: lmao on February 28, 2024, 12:06:28what hardware you are running?
You might have found it by search but here for your convenience:
7100U barebone with passive cooling for office applications. (Fast enough. What matters is silence.)
8C/16T + 4070 (with Tensor RT libraries) + 64GB desktop at ca. 37dB for Go AI. (For this application, the hardware components are well balanced, except that the 12GB VRAM is a total overkill as long as I do not use other dGPU applications.)
iPad mini 4 16GB for tablet use. (Desparately waiting for a Windows tablet with similar hardware, albeit much more storage.)
so you don't have a laptop and your tablet has a glossy screen. and here you are calling yourself an 'informed customer' in laptop discussion and promoting matte screens.
just as expected, 'expert' level confirmed.

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 28, 2024, 13:57:12Go AI
it's not go ai, it's go game engine.
again, for stubborn dummies, 'ai' has to 100% work on neural networks, to simulate human brain.

RobertJasiek

If a tablet with other acceptable specifications and a matte display existed, I would have bought it paying additional €400 for just the matteness of the display. However, it has not existed. Therefore, I had to buy the least evil with a glare display with, IIRC, 1,8% reflectance.

The best of the tablets with a matte (same for semi-matte) display was 16:9, for which I have absolutely no use.

Matte, 4:3 and long battery life has only been available for ebook readers (or Amazon crap for a year or two), for which I have too little use to justify such as a tablet substitute or extra gadget.

A notebook cannot be a tablet replacement for me as I frequently use portrait position and never need a physical keyboard for tablet usage. A notebook might only serve me as a desktop replacement and for that purpose only if the display is (notch-free of course and) matte or at least semi-matte very close to matte. That is, much less reflectance than my glare, 1.8% reflectance tablet. I will never buy a notebook with glare display. I want to see the display contents and do not want a mirror.

AI: enjoy calling whatever you want 'AI' but do not expect everybody to share your semantics.

lmao

Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 28, 2024, 17:08:30f a tablet with other acceptable specifications and a matte display existed, I would have bought it paying additional €400 for just the matteness of the display. However, it has not existed. Therefore, I had to buy the least evil with a glare display with, IIRC, 1,8% reflectance.
i don't need your excuses lmao, you are yet another local 'informed customer' with bad hardware decisions.
Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 28, 2024, 17:08:30A notebook cannot be a tablet replacement for me as I frequently use portrait position and never need a physical keyboard for tablet usage.
what are you doing in laptop discussion man, no one here cares about your tablet requirements, go away now
Quote from: RobertJasiek on February 28, 2024, 17:08:30AI: enjoy calling whatever you want 'AI' but do not expect everybody to share your semantics.
you are just being stubborn as usual, no one is calling stockfish 'chess ai' despite technologically it's basically almost the same as yours, but for chess.
educate yourself already lmao. or well, live on with your ignorance, i don't care.

RobertJasiek

Chess culture differs from go culture. Every go player speaks of go AI.

If you know a current tablet I want, tell us!
- uninterrupted display
- silent
- Windows Pro, x64
- WLAN battery life >10h (>16h preferred)
- 4:3 or smaller display ratio
- matte display
- easily user-replaceable battery at fair price
- reasonable build quality
- at least 8GB / 512 GB without upselling
- purchase under German law possible (i.e. no direct China crap imports)
- Cinebench R15 Single at least 93 (as of i3-530 or 7100U), i.e. usable for everyday tasks in practice

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview