News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Google blocked Pixel 8, Pixel 8 Pro reviewers from using popular benchmarks to test the Tensor G3 chip, new owners too

Started by Redaktion, October 14, 2023, 06:23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Google has taken the extraordinary step to block reviewers from being able to download popular chip testing benchmarks directly through its Play Store, surprising reviewers of its latest Pixel 8 series smartphones. Incredibly, the company has extended this block to include all new customers of its Pixel 8 phones following the launch, in attempt to suppress the widespread distribution of results.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Google-blocked-Pixel-8-Pixel-8-Pro-reviewers-from-using-popular-benchmarks-to-test-the-Tensor-G3-chip-new-owners-too.759260.0.html

Anne42

I am very clear between a Pixel 8 and Samsung s23, I bought a Samsung and even more so now that it arrives with a new Samsung UI 6.1 layer that will focus on Artificial Intelligence.
We will also have to see the updates. 7 years of Pixel is very very good while Samsung is only 4 years old.
Samsung should increase to 5 years of updates to all flagships from S23 onwards at least.

splus

Tensor CPU is just a repackaged Samsung's Exynos, which is a horrible CPU by all means. Terrible performance and even worse efficiency. Google is just trying to hide this, and the media have a soft spot for Google and the Pixel, so they're giving them a pass. Kudos to Notebookcheck for publishing this article!

Joe

Ramsey

Something alarming is that it seems that the G2 is more efficient than the G3... at least CPU wise.

Would it has been better for Google/SamsungSLI to stick to the Cortex X1 and A78 for a third generation; and instead spend more money in a more modern process like the 4LP+?

Heinrich Beck

I don't game on my phone. Many of these benchmarks are meaningless to me and I only care about real world performance (battery life, ability to perform daily tasks).

I'm very happy with my Pixel 8 Pro. But I was happy with Pixel 7, 6, 5, 4 (loved the Soli chip, bring it back!)...all the way to Nexus phones.

Josh

They aren't blocking Geekbench, it's in the Play Store, I just ran it. The numbers aren't great compared to a Qualcomm but it's also irrelevant. Phone CPUs gave been fast enough for years. Phones aren't servers, basic CPU performance is way beyond anything you can notice. All of the new interesting stuff is AI which uses a special purpose processor that isn't measured by Geekbench.

Joe

I switched to apple after being a Google guy since Pixels release. Google as a whole hasn't been reliable since the fired a huge chunk of staff. They keep killing software and features people love while constantly increasing their prices with subpar hardware and support. Wish they would do better because this dang iPhone isn't as easy to use.

Joe

Quote from: Joe on October 14, 2023, 13:14:04I mean y'all have seen how Google censored conservatives. But now it's a problem. Lol GTFO

Blocking hate and bigotry is good thing

Vyom

It's well known fall Google went after Samsung rather TSMC chips. Why do you need a benchmark to even guess.

BTW I totally agree that blocking sounds childish.. and expecting premium prices for just one feature while similar features are available on Apple at lower price is customer choice.

Google, don't forget Peter Drucker's 4Ps.

You will not catch up.

Kevin John

I see no problem with blocking. "reviewers" use those benchmarks as a means to dump on companies for not wasting materials to make something fast when it doesn't need to be. Good on them for taking measures to stop that stupidity.

SteveFox

I just can't believe that fanboys are praising Google for censorship. What a world we live in.
To go so far as to block benchmarking apps is downright criminal. Sure, to some people it won't matter, but forcing the narrative is just criminal.
A lot of people don't care about benchmarks and that's normal, but to some clients considering the phone and being more avid gamers or want top notch productivity from their device it's not right to withhold and block that information on purpose.
The market is very competitive and if Google don't like that, well tough.

m8180

put the benchmark apps on fdroid. this is a perfect example of why people shouldn't rely on one app store for their smartphones.

B

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview