News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Microsoft's new Surface Laptops are expensive, but the products are not good enough

Started by Redaktion, October 11, 2023, 16:40:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

We reviewed Microsoft's latest Surface models Laptop Studio 2 as well as Laptop Go 3. While the Surface Laptop Studio 2 introduces some welcome changes, the Surface Laptop Go 3 did not really change all that mich. However, both devices are just too expensive.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Microsoft-s-new-Surface-Laptops-are-expensive-but-the-products-are-not-good-enough.758790.0.html

Swizzy

Mr Majestyk

Great to see a news site call overpriced rubbish out. Most reviewers just ignore the value and quality aspects. I mean look at all the glowing reviews for Acer that make trash quality hardware, but they have good features.

George

I actually own 2 different 'surface' products.

The first is a basic i5 unit (likely with 8GB of memory) bought to fit in my Camera bag to run Windows based Photography programs and offload images from my DLSR's. It never gets 'updated' as it never is 'online' and the handful of programs I have for it do what I need them to do.

The 2nd one WAS at one point one of my favorite Windows devices - a 1st gen 13" 'Surface Book Pro' - well spec'ed, surprisingly awesome keyboard, love the aspect ratio and high resolution screen. (it even has a GTX1050 stuffed in the keyboard)

At the time the idea that it was a 'convertable' was just an interesting feature. I've never used it as a tablet nor do ever plan to. Why not use it? It upgraded itself to WIN11 and I not only dislike WIN11 but now have 'ultralites' that function better than the Surface Book.

While MS seems to have missed the mark here with their recent products (don't they watch what others are releasing?) I'd look for DEEP discounts coming soon on these overpriced misconfigured products.

It won't be the 1st or the last time a OEM released a overpriced product into a crowded market.

Charlie

Surface is the most stable Windows device there is. I have used Surface Laptop for 2 years now and I have experienced 0 crashes.
Their display, audio, keyboard and trackpad is much better than other laptops.

But when Surface first released their innovative and experimental products like the Pro and Book, they were amazing.
Hoping for a new experimental product in their coming releases.

RobertJasiek

The first innovation all Surface devices need is
- a very easily user-replaceable battery,
- very easy availability of batteries on Microsoft's webpage,
- fair market prices of ca. €20 ~ 60 for batteries instead of the total rip-off prices of ca. €250 Microsoft is offering for only one or two of its Surface devices,
- promised unlimited availability of batteries (if this is too difficult for proprietary batteries, standardise them(!)).

The second innovation all Surface devices need is
- a low reflectance display (e.g., matte or else at least no more than the 1.8% iPad reflectance).

In comparison, all other possible re-innovations, except maybe for very easy SSD and RAM replacements, are immaterial.

Truther

Agreed if you look at its direct competitor from Apple, Apple products have the premium price tag but they're actually good products now and are not longer fighting a value proposition, M Series SOC Pushed a huge difference in performance to watt ratio. Surface on the other hand was too scared and getting paid the intel pennies to keep using Intel chips when they should have been using more competitive AMD chips. To this day theyre still too scared to break branding from Intel and refusing the move on properly to AMD like the rest of the market has. Theyre products are built well and to a higher standard than most products on the market but the hardware itself is shooting themselves in the foot. The entire surface line is no longer as innovative as they once were.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview