News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 4: OLED screen profits a lot from dark mode

Started by Redaktion, September 25, 2023, 11:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

splus

33%, or 1 in 3 of all people have astigmatism (you sight is slightly blurry at all distances, which is different than near and far sightedness), and most of them don't even know it. The problem with astigmatism and the dark mode is that a light text on a dark background will appear even more blurry than a dark text on a light background.
The dark mode always appeared to me a bit blurry, and I always ignored it, until I tested myself. Now I don't use it any more. The light mode is so much easier on my eyes. There's a reason all the books and publications everywhere are printed black on white.

Neenyah

Good comment splus. I have to add a bit on top of it if you don't mind. The described issue...

Quote from: splus on September 25, 2023, 12:35:44The problem with astigmatism and the dark mode is that a light text on a dark background will appear even more blurry than a dark text on a light background.
The dark mode always appeared to me a bit blurry, and I always ignored it, until I tested myself.

...happens because of this 👉 https://imgur.com/0IdiF58 👈 I emphasised the effect on top vs normal below it. There are many different factors here of why does that happen but the most important two are uneven distribution of brightness and contrast. The lower/weaker the contrast of your panel is that more of blurriness/glowing you will get. I have one old cheap backup laptop with barely 400:1 contrast and it's impossible to read any text on a dark/black background because of it, in fact it's even worse than the text on top of that linked image 😆 My main laptop has 1500(ish):1 and I can barely notice that effect only when I crank up the brightness to full 500+ nits, at 90% of less it's unnoticeable.

And while OLED has many problems this is, luckily, not one of them like with IPS and VA panels. 1% or 100% brightness, you won't get that halo/glow/blur around white text on dark/black background. I added that here because the laptop in this article has an OLED screen.

Have a nice day.

Dan6

Quote from: splus on September 25, 2023, 12:35:44...There's a reason all the books and publications everywhere are printed black on white.
Yes, because it's just cheaper and simpler to print black letters on white paper, not because they care about our eyes..

Personally, I usually switch between Light mode during the day and Dark mode in low light environment, it's more easy on my eyes. If I use Light mode during the night, my eyes become red..

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview