News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia RTX 3000 Ada performance debut: Dell Precision 5480 workstation review

Started by Redaktion, September 17, 2023, 07:20:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Not much has changed from a visual standpoint, but the GPU update from last year's Precision 5470 is significant and worth considering for power users who want to maximize performance from a small 14-inch form factor.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-RTX-3000-Ada-performance-debut-Dell-Precision-5480-workstation-review.748547.0.html

NikoB

In general, I don't care much about the class of runts of 12-14" due to the complete wretchedness of the keyboard, but in this case the price of the laptop is clearly overestimated by more than 2 times. This is madness.

In reality, the processor is slow - here you need an R9 7940HS from AMD. Slow RAM, despite the soldered 64GB lpddr5 6400 - disgusting tuning of timings in the BIOS.

It is impossible to install a second SSD, and 1TB in a laptop for $4000+, this is just outrageous redneck from Dell - there should be at least 4TB, or better 8TB double-sided.

The shameful webcam has already been mentioned. Where is 1440p@60fps with autofocus?

The laptop is noisy when surfing and under medium load.

There is not a single usb-a and hdmi 2.1 (usb-c to hdmi, obviously with the shameful 2.0 of 2016), which is simply nonsense for business series. It's very interesting where and how 4 x TB4 are connected, because...in the datasheet for the 13900H it is unclear how many pci-e 5.0 lines it has and how many 3.0. A total of 28. The funny thing is that the older 13900HX for some reason does not have pci-e 5.0. It seems that Raptor Lake cores are only available in the HX series, right? Although Intel also labels this 13900H as Raptor for some reason. It all looks wild and strange, something like the mess of AMD with Zen4 and Zen4 Phoenix - which, also despite the best technical process, lacks pci-e 5.0, but has built-in USB40 and support for 256Gb of ram. But with Intel it's the other way around, the younger one has both a pci-e 5.0 and a TB4 controller built into the SoC. Despite the fact that the "top" HX series is deprived of both - complete insanity and nonsense.

Well, the terrible screen completes the picture - with an extremely slow response, poor color reproduction for such a price and mediocre contrast for 14" panels.

Again, I don't understand who will take it even for $2,500...except perhaps in some companies where managers will take it for kickbacks from Dell. There are simply no other options for individuals or companies who really consider money and the benefits of spending it to take this mediocre trash for a minimum, 2x markup.

LL

Another underperforming "professional" laptop with over pushed hardware for the chassis thermal capability to increase its price.

16000 Cinebench R23 is very subpar for a 13900H
Blender GPU Classroom render is 28 sec that is at RTX4050 level.
Only sRGB screen not P3 capable which is the cinema colour reproduction. 60 hz screen means can't be employed to edit 120fps movies.

Overall should not even cost 2000 euro.

RobertJasiek

Toortle

Quote from: LL on September 17, 2023, 12:29:1760 hz screen means can't be employed to edit 120fps movies.

Professional video editor and cinematographer here; why would you be unable to edit 120 fps movies on a 60 Hz screen? How were those 120 fps movies edited for years and years on 60 Hz MacBook Pros and how does 120 footage pose no problems for an 2023 M2 MacBook Air 15 youtu.be/GFVKPWZGbIY ?

Was this edited on a 1000 Hz screen 5 years ago at the time of video upload youtu.be/3EdVUtcLMCE ? I own that same Sony RX10 III and I often film 500 and 1000 footage with it and I don't have a 500 or 1000 Hz monitor, just a 60 Hz 5K 27" Apple Studio Display so I'm not capable to edit even my 120 fps phone recordings at it? 😐

120 or more fps is used to slow down recorded content: youtu.be/-RHGGVMkNwc

LL

You need to see a video at 120hz screen to have a sense of the movie. If you can't see the finished product with all frames it might give you the wrong sensation.

Toortle

So 1000 fps (960) that we mostly use and edit in our agency for professional-grade production, because majority of our clients are professional sport teams and athletes, is useless without a 960 Hz screen?

And if you look behind the tech of Formula 1 races you will notice that they film a lot of footage at 20,000 fps - so they have 20,000 Hz screens?

LL

After the human eye limitation it is pointless. 
You can sense 60fps to 120fps but not that much after that so a professional should edit 120fps in a screen that is 120hz capable.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview