News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

HP EliteBook 845 G10 review: The almost perfect business laptop with AMD Zen4

Started by Redaktion, August 15, 2023, 02:50:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

HP is presenting its best, AMD-equipped business notebook in the new EliteBook 845 G10. The Ryzen 9 Pro 7940HS offers a lot of performance and the EliteBook doesn't have any weakness in other areas either. Only the RAM configuration is not optimal.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-EliteBook-845-G10-review-The-almost-perfect-business-laptop-with-AMD-Zen4.741264.0.html

LL

For business laptop:
- weak battery
- no numpad
- marginal thermal margin for no noise operation.

I would not give it 90%. These limitations are serious.

blud

Quote from: LL on August 15, 2023, 05:13:57For business laptop:

- no numpad

Are you a time traveler? Subnotebooks haven't had numpads in years lmao.

Anyway the decision to ship single channel memory as the default config is idiotic and you can tell that it was made by a dumb middle manager who probably needs to justify their position at the company. And also the price for this config is absurd.
I'm always surprised at how much people praise Apple hardware when it is so lacking in features, then I see PC OEMs do stuff like this and I begin to understand why Apple is winning so hard.

Poster

So if those are the numbers for the 780m iGPU @ 5600MHz SODIMM, then you guys should test it with the fastest RAM to its max potential. Currently available is the Thinkpad P14s with LPDDR5x-7500. Let's see what those numbers come to.

Edgram

You can buy 100% silent Macbook air for that kind of money. Passively cooled and faster. This hp is just non sense

SAM486

battery is bad. The 845 G7 (R7pro-4750U) had more than 15-16 hours standby time. the idle power draw on this thing is almost double @10w.

Also its really annoying that the review didnt just do all tests with duel channel memory. we dont have real picture on perforce.

NikoB

a business laptop that doesn't have RJ45 at 2.5Gbps today is nonsense.

Glossy screen - a very rotten property on the road and on the street. And while it has an extremely low contrast ratio for a glossy, from them, as in smartphones, people expect 2000: 1+ and a brightness of more than 1000 nits.

Here, as in any other laptops, there must be a universal 4k@120Hz, which switches to fhd@60Hz mode when running on battery (customizable by the owner)

Shameful antique HDMI 2.0 despite Zen4 7x40 all officially have full 2.1 and DP 2.1 with 1/2 full bandwidth (40Gbps).

USB40 are moronically concentrated on one side, although both Intel and AMD specifically make chips so that the ports can be brought out symmetrically on both sides of the laptop.
To make the power connection convenient for both right-handed and left-handed people.

Despite the most energy efficient x86 die in 2023, the laptop howls under the slightest load, i.e. the firmware have very bad fan curve. There is no manual control of the cooler.

The author made a mistake in the description. The Zen4 Phoenix (7x40) has a maximum of 256GB of RAM, unlike the regular Zen4 (7x45). There are simply no modules for 128Gb ddr5 5600 for sale today.

The price is monstrous for such a kit out of the box. At least doubled. RAM at such a monstrous price should be at least 128GB out of the box (64+64), but greedy HP didn't even install the second module at 32Gb, which automatically led to a sharp drop in performance due to the disabled dual-channel mode. A 4TB SSD.

The laptop does not give the impression of a premium and in terms of weight - it is too big for a 14", like the weight of the PSU. All together should fit into 1.5kg, no more.

The final score for this is 83-84%. The normal price is $1100-1200. At this price, if the buyer is satisfied with a screen that is wildly glaring on the street with not very high brightness and not very good contrast (for a glossy one), it is quite possible to take it, although you will immediately have to spend money on a second 32GB module to enable normal dual-channel mode.

As usual, HP employees release something that is simple, to justify their salaries and place in the company. They never had the goal of making a device that squeezes everything out of hardware, even if hardware allows much more...

Andrey 845 G10

I have reinstalled Windows. Now my display shows as sRBG. Please help make P3.

P.S. The best Windows laptop for work. But you need to upgrade the RAM.

USA informatic

I don't think you need as much power with a ZEN 4 7040U Phoenix more than enough as the MagicBook X 14 Pro,R7-7840HS of 2023 that Huawei will launch for $800 with Zen 4 7040U + USB 4.0 + HDMI + RDNA 3

Oleksa

There is no USB4!!! This is a lying marketing ploy with a sticker (where are DP2.1 and pci-e?).
One slot for RAM (good thing it's not 8 GB).
Terrible screen.
Only 1 TB of memory...
A huge power supply (did you learn this from Lenovo?)
As usual, the keyboard is not suitable for work.
The red price for this garbage is 900 euros (including tax).
And also a lot of weight (no development). Everything that weighs more than 1.3 kg and up to 2kg feels the same. Everything that weighs more than 2 kg (even 4 kg) feels the same).
1.2 kg is light.
More than 1.2 kg is medium weight, still hard to carry.
More than 2 kg is a huge brick that will kill your back, or carry it in a car.
I want the EU to force manufacturers to work faster and more often.
Do not give 2-3 years for adaptation, because when it is necessary, the manufacturer adapts in 1 month to put an old processor in a new laptop. Or a new processor in an old laptop, and in any case, throw it on the market as garbage.
Therefore, it is necessary to establish certain frameworks, and in a year only those products that meet the conditions will be allowed on the market. Only centralized legal requirements will apply. Instead of shifting the problem to the end consumer, who is unable to fight the manufacturer on his own.

LG

Quote from: Edgram on August 15, 2023, 10:11:28You can buy 100% silent Macbook air for that kind of money. Passively cooled and faster. This hp is just non sense

Of course you can, but Macbooks have many drawbacks lots of people also don't want and find idiotic. Only glossy mirror screens and no options to choose anything else, no upgradeabiltiy whatsoever, terrible flat low-travel keyboard (that's my opinion and a deal breaker itself) because HP keyboards are just much better and Lenovo's used to be as well, extremely high prices for RAM and SSD upgrades plus no or only minimal special offers, for HP and Lenovo etc you can get extremely good offers and the price for the HP EliteBook 845 in this specific configuration will drop in price soon already or you can just buy a much cheaper version with better suited AMD U-series processors that are basically completely quiet under basic tasks, just like the fanless Macbook airs.

I am currently testing the even more compact HP EliteBook 835 G10 with AMD Ryzen Pro 7 7840U, Windows Pro, 32GB LPDDR5 6400MHZ dual channel ram, 1TB 4.0 SSD and a 400 Nits anti-glare screen, 5MP autofocus webcam with infrared for Windows hello, great port selections etc. I never hear the fan unless I play games I couldn't play with a Macbook at all.
A remotely similar configuration of a Macbook air would be far above 2000€ and still doesn't offer the ports, Face-ID similar to Windows Hello, a anti-glare screen option etc.
I paid 1300€ on HP with a special deal code four weeks ago.
You want to say that's a terrible deal too?

FJ

Some comments here seem to misunderstand Elitebook's usecase on purpose. Elitebooks are not ZBooks. They are not supposed to be mobile bricks fedora wearing neckbeards use. HP/Campuspoint should not have offered this configuration for a review as it doesnt fit the slim case. The Ryzen 7 7840U / 400 Nits configuration is a better fit considering the EliteBooks's target group. It certainly is one if not the best 14" business Notebook on the market right now.

FJ

Quote from: Poster on August 15, 2023, 09:20:40So if those are the numbers for the 780m iGPU @ 5600MHz SODIMM, then you guys should test it with the fastest RAM to its max potential. Currently available is the Thinkpad P14s with LPDDR5x-7500. Let's see what those numbers come to.
Unfortunately, 5600 MHz seems to be the max speed currently supported by SO-DIMM for this cpu.

Tyler

Poster

Quote from: SAM486 on August 15, 2023, 10:33:00Also its really annoying that the review didnt just do all tests with duel channel memory. we dont have real picture on perforce.

The reviewer has done tests in both single channel and dual-channel (for the iGPU at least)

Quote from: NikoB on August 15, 2023, 11:42:17a business laptop that doesn't have RJ45 at 2.5Gbps today is nonsense.

Glossy screen - a very rotten property on the road and on the street. And while it has an extremely low contrast ratio for a glossy, from them, as in smartphones, people expect 2000: 1+ and a brightness of more than 1000 nits.

Here, as in any other laptops, there must be a universal 4k@120Hz, which switches to fhd@60Hz mode when running on battery (customizable by the owner)

Shameful antique HDMI 2.0 despite Zen4 7x40 all officially have full 2.1 and DP 2.1 with 1/2 full bandwidth (40Gbps).

USB40 are moronically concentrated on one side, although both Intel and AMD specifically make chips so that the ports can be brought out symmetrically on both sides of the laptop.
To make the power connection convenient for both right-handed and left-handed people.

Despite the most energy efficient x86 die in 2023, the laptop howls under the slightest load, i.e. the firmware have very bad fan curve. There is no manual control of the cooler.

The author made a mistake in the description. The Zen4 Phoenix (7x40) has a maximum of 256GB of RAM, unlike the regular Zen4 (7x45). There are simply no modules for 128Gb ddr5 5600 for sale today.

The price is monstrous for such a kit out of the box. At least doubled. RAM at such a monstrous price should be at least 128GB out of the box (64+64), but greedy HP didn't even install the second module at 32Gb, which automatically led to a sharp drop in performance due to the disabled dual-channel mode.

The laptop does not give the impression of a premium and in terms of weight - it is too big for a 14", like the weight of the PSU. All together should fit into 1.5kg, no more.

The final score for this is 83-84%. The normal price is $1100-1200. At this price, if the buyer is satisfied with a screen that is wildly glaring on the street with not very high brightness and not very good contrast (for a glossy one), it is quite possible to take it, although you will immediately have to spend money on a second 32GB module to enable normal dual-channel mode.

As usual, HP employees release something that is simple, to justify their salaries and place in the company. They never had the goal of making a device that squeezes everything out of hardware, even if hardware allows much more...

I agree. It's like they not even trying. It seems they just slapped AMD APUs in their products and give it the worst numbers in optimisations to be on par or worse than intel. For the so-called top of line AMD product that HP provides (and business model to be exact), these oversights are reprehensible.

Quote from: FJ on August 15, 2023, 15:53:09
Quote from: Poster on August 15, 2023, 09:20:40So if those are the numbers for the 780m iGPU @ 5600MHz SODIMM, then you guys should test it with the fastest RAM to its max potential. Currently available is the Thinkpad P14s with LPDDR5x-7500. Let's see what those numbers come to.

Unfortunately, 5600 MHz seems to be the max speed currently supported by SO-DIMM for this cpu.

Please point me to the direction where 5600MHZ is the max speed supported for ZEN4 APU's.
I am aware for SO-DIMM, but LPDDR5X-7500 is available and supported to my awareness and Lenovo's P14s has this configuration

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview