News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

MacBook Pro 14 (M1 Pro) is found to have an anti-repair design

Started by Redaktion, August 13, 2023, 20:52:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Apple's reputation for software-locked hardware components has reportedly spread to the MacBook Pro. A device-restoration vlogger claims that swapping these parts between 2 identical units of the same 14-inch SKU results in specific screen defects, as well as missing functions and settings in some cases. These findings suggest that the OEM is indeed trying to "kill" third-party display replacements in even more of its hardware.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MacBook-Pro-14-M1-Pro-is-found-to-have-an-anti-repair-design.741116.0.html

Swizzy

Not shocking or surprising. Keep giving them money for their overpriced toys, what could possibly go wrong?

mixedfish

I think by now there is a sizeable market that just simply doesn't care about something is repairable or right to repair.

On a completely different note I picked up a used 13" i7 Dell for $250 last week. Bought a new battery and now I have something that I paid peanuts for with 13hour battery life. That's really how society needs to treat eWaste but instead we choose to pay $1000+ to make more waste.

anan

Quote from: mixedfish on August 14, 2023, 03:17:08I think by now there is a sizeable market that just simply doesn't care about something is repairable or right to repair.

On a completely different note I picked up a used 13" i7 Dell for $250 last week. Bought a new battery and now I have something that I paid peanuts for with 13hour battery life. That's really how society needs to treat eWaste but instead we choose to pay $1000+ to make more waste.
The thing is - a lot of used equipment floating around is refurbished by third parties. Someone buys equipment in bulk. Repairs if needed by replacing components. That repair includes swapping components from donor machines. It is quite possible to buy a water-damaged laptop and take it's screen and place it onto another laptop that had it's screen damaged.
Manufacturers can outright kill this industry. And Apple has done it on many occasions by simply limiting parts availability. This artificial limit simply makes devices in-repairable by third parties. And it is cost prohibitive to repair by apple (sometimes apple would quote repair costs that are higher than a new product).
I've personally fixed two laptops by replacing their motherboards extending life for those machines.
We should absolutely care about right to repair.

CMW

I can't help but notice the people whining the loudest about right to repair are the people making money from repairs, which is like a tapeworm complaining that their host isn't eating enough.

RobertJasiek

Uh no. This is one vocal group. Another group is people like me who want their rights established instead of violated by ruthless companies.

Nottoday

Quote from: CMW on August 14, 2023, 10:19:00I can't help but notice the people whining the loudest about right to repair are the people making money from repairs, which is like a tapeworm complaining that their host isn't eating enough.

I can't help but notice that people like you keep pushing their cucking fetish onto others.
Like getting screwed over? Good for you my man, but let people with self respect demand their products not to be some kind of monolithic design where from a broken key you have to throw in the trash your overpriced fruit themed garbage.

hugh mungus

Quote from: CMW on August 14, 2023, 10:19:00I can't help but notice the people whining the loudest about right to repair are the people making money from repairs, which is like a tapeworm complaining that their host isn't eating enough.

Apple has deposited 0.02 dollars into your account

Neenyah

So you have no issues to pay $300 for a small $30 repair or to throw away your perfectly functional machine and buy a new one just because its SSD is near its life end? Good for you then, 🐑 is gonna 🐑.

LL

QuoteI can't help but notice the people whining the loudest about right to repair are the people making money from repairs, which is like a tapeworm complaining that their host isn't eating enough.

?? You seem to have some sort of bad day because your argument do not make sense and the equivalence is not valid.

Tapeworm is a parasite, instead someone that fixes other people devices it isn't a parasite, they are providing a necessary service that people requested.

kek

People like you should get their voting rights revoked. Can't believe someone with such a dumb brain is out here commenting nonsense.

Kitje

So why hasn't Apple been fined hard enough that their bank accounts are in the hundred thousands? Maybe it's time that Tim Cook and some of their designers have stepped down? Because, well, I'd rather not walk on soil made from Apple parts.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview