News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo Legion Slim 5 16APH8 laptop review: Underappreciated design with an underperforming GPU

Started by Redaktion, August 11, 2023, 20:09:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Legion Slim 5 16 is one of the best-looking gaming laptops in the low US$1000 price range and it includes a fantastic 165 Hz 1600p IPS display to boot. Unfortunately, some issues may be holding back its RTX 4060 graphics.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Legion-Slim-5-16APH8-laptop-review-Underappreciated-design-with-an-underperforming-GPU.739245.0.html

Australian shep

Thank's for the review !

I've heard that the 4060 is now going to 100w or more with the latest bios update, if you want to check 😄

mando

Quote from: Australian shep on August 11, 2023, 21:52:48Thank's for the review !

I've heard that the 4060 is now going to 100w or more with the latest bios update, if you want to check 😄

That's great news! i'm currently considering buying this model and this is a hiccup i wanted to make sure wasn't an issue? Do you know if this fixed that?

LL

Interestingly the 22 sec in Blender GPU Render are not the signs of a capped RTX4060. I think if the value is not an error it is the best 4060 ever here in Notebookcheck.

How to explain it?

Australianshep

Quote from: mando on August 12, 2023, 00:16:51
Quote from: Australian shep on August 11, 2023, 21:52:48Thank's for the review !

I've heard that the 4060 is now going to 100w or more with the latest bios update, if you want to check

That's great news! i'm currently considering buying this model and this is a hiccup i wanted to make sure wasn't an issue? Do you know if this fixed that?

On all the YT videos they are showing a more than 90w rtx 4060 on gaming and benchmarking so there's no reasons.
My slim 5i 13700h 4060 is coming tomorrow so I will update you on that

Diversion

Considering the latest BIOS is still about 2 months old, i'm sure the BIOS was up to date in this article..  I have this same unit on hand i'm actually even slower on Performance (power button is red) than what is even shown here in Cyberpunk.  so strange..

MagicMushroom

I don't get why anyone would buy this laptop. It's an even slimmer version of the legion 5 pro with worse cooling and performance. Considering the performance it has, the Legion 5 pro is fairly thin and light. Where's the point in making an even slightly slimmer and barely lighter version? The legion 5 pro is too loud with full performance. There is no point in making an even slimmer version.

I would appreciate a slightly thicker version of the legion 5 pro with better cooling. Legion 7 has better cooling, but is thinner and has the same two shallow fans like the 5 pro. I would prefer either thicker fans or more than 2 fans, like some competitors do.

Glix

I'm surprised at the problems with the review unit. I just got mine this past Friday with a June 23rd build date and after performing all the updates I went straight to benchmarking and testing a few games, everything is performing as expected. I haven't looked at GPU wattage but the 3 performance modes are affecting framerates on the fly in a predictable manner.

In performance mode, Time Spy got 10,649 points, Time Spy Extreme 5,002, Port Royal 5,802. Unigine Heaven with my own custom preset got 109.7fps in performance mode and 93.3 in quiet, I'd not tested balanced.

The only issue I'm having so far is that the 780M is underperforming compared to another machine I have with a 680M. I don't know how much is to do with DDR5-5600 paired with the 780M vs LPDDR5-6400 on the 680M machine, or if it's an AMD driver problem seeing as they still don't offer anything newer than the pre-release version from May.

AustralianShep

So i have the laptop for 24 hours now and i confirm : 80 to 110w for the 4060 (depend on the cpu wattage while gaming)

MikeTech

It's time to update the review, like NOW. The gpu is functioning like it should, and did so after unboxing for me (and after bios updates for some people). So please update the review to make it a fair review 😁

Best laptop I've owned (I've owned MANY). Especially for the discounted price i paid!

BobDen

Quote from: AustralianShep on August 15, 2023, 12:00:45So i have the laptop for 24 hours now and i confirm : 80 to 110w for the 4060 (depend on the cpu wattage while gaming)

You have the Intel Version, perhaps its only on the AMD version ?
 I just got the Ryzen version how to check the GPU  wattage ?

Keegan

I have this laptop with the slower Ryzen 5 7640HS and RTX 4060 and can confirm that it does not have the low GPU performance you have seen in your review. The highest wattage I've seen the GPU draw is 109w while stress testing.  My 3DMark time spy GPU score is around 10500 and with overclocking I was able to achieve 11740.

MikeTech

Quote from: BobDen on August 15, 2023, 15:24:38
Quote from: AustralianShep on August 15, 2023, 12:00:45So i have the laptop for 24 hours now and i confirm : 80 to 110w for the 4060 (depend on the cpu wattage while gaming)

You have the Intel Version, perhaps its only on the AMD version ?
 I just got the Ryzen version how to check the GPU  wattage ?

One way is through the Nvidia overlay (ALT-R). You can set it up so it shows CPU and GPU usage in percentage and how much power the GPU draws. Also FPS etc.

I have the version tested (with the Ryzen 7 7840) in the review and my 4060 goes above 100W..

I'm starting to doubt the authors of the articles here even read the comments??? He still haven't updated the review.....

OlimacNauj

I have seen multiple videos of this laptop running at more than 100W on the GPU on performance mode. I think there was something wrong with the review unit tested here. Hopefully they will update soon as I'm planning to get this laptop for myself.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview