News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

LG Gram SuperSlim (2023) review: 990 gram laptop with long battery life and OLED display

Started by Redaktion, July 31, 2023, 20:46:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

A low, 990 g (~2.18 lb) weight, slim case (≤ 12.55 mm, ~0.49 in), and bright OLED display (15.6 in, FHD) that is rich in contrast represent the highlights of the LG Gram SuperSlim. Additional positive points are also two Thunderbolt 4 ports and a very good battery life.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-SuperSlim-2023-review-990-gram-laptop-with-long-battery-life-and-OLED-display.737683.0.html

paviko

Why LG Gram SuperSlim 32GB is only available in USA? At that price it would be wise to add 100$ and get 32GB, but it's unavailable.

Ednumero

I agree that a higher res / refresh rate / aspect ratio would be nice. Especially if it can be done while preserving the battery life!

However, I am fine with the lack of HDMI if it means more USB-C ports. You can adapt one way but not the other, and the converters don't add all that much bulk when you're already dealing with the cable.

Also oddly low contrast ratio for an OLED. I'd like to see how that actually looks in a dark room. Still higher than non-OLEDs usually provide.

Faris Hanafiah

Quote from: Tiermes on August 01, 2023, 12:23:51Low resolution, 16:9, asymmetric keyboard.... What a fail

1080p is still fine for everyday use, though 1440p won't hurt. 16:9 has never been a failure since it's still the most widely-used aspect ratio for mass media. If you care so much about having a taller screen, get yourself a rotating monitor. Taller screen on a laptop is still a complete joke in 2023.

Faris Hanafiah

Quote from: Mr Majestyk on August 01, 2023, 03:39:1816:9 instant fail.

Lol, you expect everyone to move on to a taller screen? Not a chance! Even your external monitor still uses 16:9. 💁�♂️

Faris Hanafiah

Looks great, but not so keen on the OLED display. I had mishaps with screen burn-in on my smartphones, so I have my doubts using it on a laptop. I still believe that a high-quality IPS LCD panel can give the most realistic colour gamut if done right.

I'm still content with the 1080p 16:9 screen, but I think 120Hz won't hurt for gaming.

NikoB

All laptops (no exceptions) should have a minimum of 220-230 ppi today. As are smartphones. It looks already simply indecent against the background of muddy fonts in browsers based on chromium and of course in chrome. Due to incorrect black and white anti-aliasing (shadows where they should not be). It is impossible to turn off this nasty wrong anti-aliasing due to the fault of the bastards from Google (pure evil corporation for many years) and M$ neither in Chrome nor in Edge under Windows. Under Linux, this can be done as a command line option.

All people on the planet who use Chrome at ppi much lower than 200, and fhd screens usually have no more than 150 and even less - literally spoil their eyesight and I can easily prove this with screenshots of correct and incorrect anti-aliasing.

The only way to solve this problem in such crappy browsers is to put only 4k panels in all laptops.

On smartphones, this essentially happened - you can't find a smartphone with ppi below 250 anymore. Therefore, bastards from Google don't care about desktops and laptops with low ppi - this is simply not their main monetization platform on the planet. They make money primarily on smartphones, and there is simply no problem due to muddy incorrect anti-aliasing. shadows and blurry text are no longer noticeable at ppi above about 220-230.

In addition, only 4k panels provide a perfectly sharp picture for fhd video - the most common on the planet right now. Because 4k perfectly resizes to fhd - 4 points turn into 1. With stupid 2.5k panels, this will not work - they are not integer divisible by 1920.

Large corporations and TNCs have brought the situation through their fault (and the stupidity of the majority of the world's population) to the point of absurdity.

Fenix

Great computer but because LG doesn't offer the option with Zen 4 7040 Phoenix in 13" 14" 15" with only RDNA 3 iGPU at prices below $900 this is what everyone expects and if possible with 32Gb of RAM DDR 5 and Wiffi 7 this is already being done by ACER Swift edge 16 (sfe16-43)
Since last year, many expected that LG would give an option with Zen 3 and it could not be now in the professional forums they hope that LG can put Zen 4

Ednumero

Quote from: Faris Hanafiah on August 01, 2023, 13:58:18If you care so much about having a taller screen, get yourself a rotating monitor. Taller screen on a laptop is still a complete joke in 2023.
Tall aspect ratios are particularly useful on laptops because they improve the balance between vertical screen space and horizontal footprint. Media ratio differences are real, but media is just one use for a computer.

I would agree that external monitors add to productivity when you can use them, and to that we also need more options for 16:10 and 3:2 desktop monitors.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview