News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra (and iPhone 15 series) tipped to launch with upgraded EV-inspired battery tech

Started by Redaktion, July 13, 2023, 19:35:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Samsung may finally allow its flagship Android smartphones to charge faster than they have for generations in 2024. This upgrade is said to come courtesy of new battery tech developed along the same lines as those intended for electric vehicles. Then again, the upgrade may be exclusive to the top-end variant of the Galaxy S24 series - whereas Apple might also use it for the entire iPhone 15 line-up.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Samsung-Galaxy-S24-Ultra-and-iPhone-15-series-tipped-to-launch-with-upgraded-EV-inspired-battery-tech.734277.0.html

NikoB

Quoteno more than 65W - thereby still lagging behind even mid-rangers from other brands in 2023.
Lol, and who checked the reliability of batteries with quick charges? So I checked - the battery instead of 1000 cycles works on the force of 200-300. And then, if you are lucky, quickly losing the container.

Idiots are bred for "quick charges" and, as a result, for money (because it is unrealistic to buy an original spare battery in practice), because it is extremely beneficial for fraudsters -manufacturers - a stupid consumer will come for a new battery in an authorized service center or generally he will come for a new smartphone much faster than he would like.

When charging, proved in practice, with a weak current, an ordinary battery lives 3-4 times longer in cycles and with a much smaller speed of loss of capacity.

Consumers in reality do not need quick charging (this marketer has imposed this false feeling for them), they need capacious batteries that confidently hold the smartphone in active use for at least 16 hours a day. At night, you do not care about the speed of the charge, while you still sleep - even with a charge of 0.5A/5V, and even more so 0.5A/12V, the battery is guaranteed to be charged in 6-8 hours of sleep.

And again, all the vile manufacturers of smartphones deliberately kill the battery with incorrect control of the charging, which is made consciously from the moment of the appearance of smartphones. The battery cannot be reconciled after 100% of the charge, until it falls by self-discharge at least below 95%, and preferably 90%. This is how batteries work in all normal laptops (except for idiotic models from Huawei and other Chinese of the second echelon, where laptop batteries are also intentionally killed without a protective threshold of self-discharge)

If you do not want to often change the smartphone battery - choose only models that work at least 10 hours a day in active use. And never charge them with high current and power! Better with a current of 0.5A, maximum 1A. And then your battery, if it is not made in a Chinese basement, confidently work at least 800 cycles with a fall of not more than 25% of capacity by this moment.

S.Yu

I have to agree. The battery protection in most of those models are primitive, and battery protection itself is no rocket science. 80% cap, 50% cap, hell, user-defined cap, how hard can it be? Fast charge only below 50%, trickle charge by default, charge to full only before sunrise(or set time, or even before the set alarm rings), none of that takes one guy more than a few hours to implement and test. The lack of these options, in addition to the push for fast charging, can only mean malicious intent.

anan

Battery tech has come a long way. But you cannot cheat lithium chemistry. The faster you charge the more strain it will cause to the battery. That leads to premature degradation/death. NBC has reported on many charging advances from various manufacturers (from Qualcomm to Chinese oems). All they try to do is increase the charging current and keep it at max for longer. Just make sure the battery does not explode. All of this is impressive but no article did provide any info on how this affects the battery lifespan. Apple was late to the wireless and fast charging party precisely because these things cause additional wear on the battery.
Samsung doing this nice and slow is probably due to Note 10 kerfuffle. But this benefits users since they get a better device in the end.

S.Yu

Quote from: anan on July 31, 2023, 10:00:26Battery tech has come a long way. But you cannot cheat lithium chemistry. The faster you charge the more strain it will cause to the battery. That leads to premature degradation/death. NBC has reported on many charging advances from various manufacturers (from Qualcomm to Chinese oems). All they try to do is increase the charging current and keep it at max for longer. Just make sure the battery does not explode. All of this is impressive but no article did provide any info on how this affects the battery lifespan. Apple was late to the wireless and fast charging party precisely because these things cause additional wear on the battery.
Samsung doing this nice and slow is probably due to Note 10 kerfuffle. But this benefits users since they get a better device in the end.
I agree in principle but I really don't admire Apple's work with battery longevity. My iPP was pretty bad in this respect, and bad enough that I'm on my second battery yet it now restarts itself on a relatively heavy load, such that I tossed it aside. Despite that I might get a more recent model sometime, budget permitting.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview