News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Nvidia allegedly threatening supply limits or even bans for Chinese AIB partners planning to launch Intel Battlemage GPUs

Started by Redaktion, July 07, 2023, 18:12:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to an anonymous Chinese source, Nvidia appears to use the same anti-competitive tactics that made the GeForce Partner Program so infamous. On top of reportedly getting delayed to some time in 2024, Intel's Arc Battlemage GPUs might also face supply issues if Nvidia has its way.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-allegedly-threatening-supply-limits-or-even-bans-for-Chinese-AIB-partners-planning-to-launch-Intel-Battlemage-GPUs.732610.0.html

Noah

It's tough to feel bad for Intel given that they also used anticompetitive tactics to stomp out competition from AMD. We lost an entire decade of CPU performance gains because AMD fell so far behind. Of course, an end to Nvidia's effective monopoly would be best for everyone, but at least Nvidia is innovating and putting out ever more performant hardware instead of resting on their laurels.

Anonymousgg

Quote from: Noah on July 08, 2023, 01:40:34It's tough to feel bad for Intel given that they also used anticompetitive tactics to stomp out competition from AMD. We lost an entire decade of CPU performance gains because AMD fell so far behind. Of course, an end to Nvidia's effective monopoly would be best for everyone, but at least Nvidia is innovating and putting out ever more performant hardware instead of resting on their laurels.

Nvidia's RTX 40-series is not very innovative. Well, not in ways that are good for consoomers anyway. 4060 is essentially a 4050, 4080 12 GB was so badly received they reverted the name and dropped $100, and so on. The "hero" of the lineup is a $1600 GPU.

AMD screwed this one up, but chiplet GPUs will be formidable... eventually.

RobertJasiek

Quote from: Anonymousgg on July 08, 2023, 03:26:00Nvidia's RTX 40-series is not very innovative.

As to machine learning and some other compute application speed and efficiency, RTX 4000 is a great improvement over RTX 3000. For other applications, it is meh (except for RTX 4090 desktop), gimped, overpriced and not worth upgrading. As a machine learning user, I find RTX 4000 for a new build great (3 times faster than I - somewhat cautiously - hoped and the TDP I want) and even the prices fair (avoid the 4080, 4060TI and 4060, of course). For me, the only disadvantages are the prior waiting during RTX 3000, which has never been available at a fair price at any time, and the still overpriced motherboards.

Of course, I understand all other users (such as 3D gamers), for whom RTX 4000 is nothing but a cash grab. I also understand that low-end and lower mid-tier price seekers cannot be happy and better wait a couple of further generations before upgrading or buy a loud, suboptimally built prior generation notebook on sale.

Superguy

Quote from: Noah on July 08, 2023, 01:40:34It's tough to feel bad for Intel given that they also used anticompetitive tactics to stomp out competition from AMD. We lost an entire decade of CPU performance gains because AMD fell so far behind. Of course, an end to Nvidia's effective monopoly would be best for everyone, but at least Nvidia is innovating and putting out ever more performant hardware instead of resting on their laurels.

That's true - to a point. Intel pulled this crap and got slapped down hard in the courts, so Nvidia better tread lightly if it wants to play this game. The precedent is already there. And besides, I doubt that Intel's graphics will be a threat to AMD, let alone Nvidia. Better than the previous garbage they've been putting out for years, Intel's really only competing with itself in low end graphics. The AMD and Intel segments are different enough.

AMD's lost decade is a lot of resting on their laurels and getting destroyed Nehalem and succeeding architectures. It wasn't until Zen and Lisa Su took over that AMD finally got its crap together. I'm glad they did.  We need a healthy AMD and Intel in order to keep innovation going and prices competitive. We've seen that both will get lazy and more expensive if the other is weak.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview