News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Acer Swift Edge SFE16 review - A lightweight 16-inch laptop with AMD power and an OLED display

Started by Redaktion, June 21, 2023, 22:30:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The new Acer Swift Edge only weighs in at just over a kilogram. Despite this, the 16-inch laptop features a top-of-the-range SoC with its AMD Ryzen 7 7735U and a strong iGPU. Whether this is enough to compete with the LG Gram and what other features the Acer Swift Edge SFE16 has to offer are all things you will learn in this detailed review.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Swift-Edge-SFE16-review-A-lightweight-16-inch-laptop-with-AMD-power-and-an-OLED-display.726861.0.html

LL

It would have been interesting if Blender GPU Optix classroom would have been tested with external 3060 card like gaming was.

Overall i think the biggest problem is the screen. lovely, color correct but being glossy it is too dark. A lightweight device like this is supposed to be moved often, including to more illuminated places.
LG Gram with an IPS and same brightness is better due to IPS matte screen.

it is a pitty that to get a 500-600 nits screen one have to get a cheaper tablet.

thunder

The LG Gram 16 cannot be one of the competitors of this ACER simply because ACER has RDNA 2 which is twice as powerful as Intel's Xe graphics.
THE LG Gram 16 cannot be a competitor to this ACER because its screen is OLED vs LG IPs there is an abyss of difference.
Processor power consumption on AMD vs Intel is much better on AMD
I don't understand why they don't put these important features.

NikoB

high color accuracy A rather ridiculous and 100% false statement from the author - after all, he did NOT calibrate the typical OLED screen  to dE less than 2, although professionals generally work with dE less than 1.
The resolution in color obviously does not correspond to the manufacturer's declarations - it is 1.5 times lower.
Well, again, why did the author not measure the contrast? We are not interested in verbal claims that it is "infinite" and we DO NOT believe in such false claims anymore, when in other reviews, other authors measured the contrast and found it to be orders of magnitude worse than marketing claims of 1000000:1 or more.

The memory is very slow for 2023, but this is typical for slow AMD memory controllers, especially in the obsolete Zen3+. Why isn't Zen4 Phoenix here? The 7940HS at this high price should definitely be here with lpddr5 7500 for 1700$+.

About the fact that there is not enough memory, the author himself wrote. For this price, buyers expect 32-64GB in 2023.

Noise is up, even with AMD, but that's a price to pay for the weight at 16". Again, with the Zen4 7940HS, you'd probably be able to keep the same performance with less noise, or more with the same.

Will the model find its admirer? Hardly. After all, the keyboard is defective for 16".

I also draw attention to the dangerously high temperature on the case close to critical 50C - for modern screen panels this is a critical temperature, which excludes working with such a laptop on an external monitor with the screen lid closed, if you do not want to burn the screen much ahead of time .. .

For this money, you can buy an LG Gram 17" with a full-fledged keyboard and much more experience in the design of such models, i.e. obviously better reliability.

Actually, everyone is waiting for LG Gram 17-18" with a matte screen 4k@144Hz LG Black IPS  2000:1 (with full support for auto VRR on PSU/battery/very situations) with 7940HS and 32-64GB of memory, plus 2xUSB40, plus HDMI 2.1, plus RJ45 2.5-5Gbps with full keyboard.

And Acer just needs to stop fooling around and destroying own sales with idiotic truncated keyboards without a full-fledged numpad in 15.6+ models. And things will get better. And so, their laptops will continue to gather dust on the shelves of our stores. Sellers have to cut prices relative to competitors, but still no sales...

DG

Does the hinge open 180 degrees? Usually reviews on this site provide this information and a minority of us really find this useful!

Sterlinger

KO

wait what is this? i was looking for the SFE16-43 which is swift edge 16 with a new chasis and wifi 7 and 780M graphics and 120hz 3.2K oled laptop which they announced in may (can't post links just search: Acer Announces New Swift Edge 16 with AMD Ryzen 7040 Series Processors and Wi-Fi 7)and i came across this old swift 16 without numpad with 7series Ryzen ? so are they launching that or did they just refresh the old one?

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Sterlinger

Quote from: KO on July 07, 2023, 13:31:27...

WHAT IS GOING ON?

the new one is the one with numpad, how long the older one will be available? who knows... other Acer Swift like the Go or X already had a numpad

play150

Quote from: DG on June 26, 2023, 13:54:09Does the hinge open 180 degrees? Usually reviews on this site provide this information and a minority of us really find this useful!

Just got the new Ryzen 7840U version with the numpad and it only opens to around 120 degrees (not that I need it to go to 180 degrees). My unit is great and build quality feels so nice, EXCEPT the fan noise at max speed has a high pitched sound. Not sure if it's defective or if it's normal since this review mentions high frequency sounds from the tiny fans :/

edram

You can buy 100% silent Macbook air 15 for that kind of money. Passively cooled and faster. This noisy Acer is just non sense

Neenyah

Quote from: edram on August 18, 2023, 13:44:16You can buy 100% silent Macbook air 15 for that kind of money. Passively cooled and faster. This noisy Acer is just non sense
Ah yes, the M2 8-core being 27% slower than the R7 7735U means that it is actually faster. Makes perfect sense 👍 Also good luck in using that Air 15 for any kind of professional work if you are not strictly in Apple's ecosystem of their 🐶💩 wannabe-pro apps. That same Air 15 is throttling a lot (thanks to no fan) as demonstrated by numerous reviews even by those from hardcore Apple-only fan(atic)s and reviewers while this one here, let me quote the NBC themselves:

QuoteThe installed AMD Ryzen 7 7735U, with its 8 cores, was able to deliver great multi-core performance even without throttling too much under load.

As Macs are mostly targeting content creators just try to run DaVinci Resolve on both and report back results, lmao. And keep in mind that Resolve is slower on AMD than on Intel due to the lack of QuickSync.

Edit: Also good luck in trying to play any game on the Air 15.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview