News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

BYD Seal taken apart by Japan to learn about the 'future EV leader' design philosophy

Started by Redaktion, June 12, 2023, 13:44:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

After BYD took apart Corollas in days past to see how they are made, it's now Japan's turn to learn about making electric vehicles from China. The largest Japanese publishing house will issue a rather pricey BYD Seal disassembly and surface manual with preface saying that is how the 'future EV leader' does cars.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/BYD-Seal-taken-apart-by-Japan-to-learn-about-the-future-EV-leader-design-philosophy.725380.0.html

S.Yu

Somehow I'm not a fan of EV's in general. They're s*** heavy, which takes a huge chunk out of the apparent efficiency advantage of electric motors over ICEs, they light themselves on fire, and don't bestow confidence regarding battery endurance or reliability in low temperatures.
And I just don't like the look. For example Mercedes, maker of classics such as the CLS AMG, seems to have lost its touch with the EQ series. They all look plasticky, and that is not to say that BMW's i series is any better, rather the opposite. Teslas at least look coherent, but the interiors are aggressively uninspiring, and I'm aware they're not known for attention to detail.

Ednumero

Quote from: S.Yu on June 12, 2023, 15:27:53heavy ... fire ... looks
They are still more efficient in spite of their weights, as well as energy source agnostic. Studies also suggest that they catch fire at lower rates than gasoline vehicles.

I'm fully with you on aesthetic complaints, though. Too many manufacturers try to be bold and different in their designs when adding EVs to their product lines, instead of simply offering minimally-altered electrified variants of what they already have.

S.Yu

Quote from: Ednumero on June 12, 2023, 21:25:16
Quote from: S.Yu on June 12, 2023, 15:27:53heavy ... fire ... looks
They are still more efficient in spite of their weights, as well as energy source agnostic. Studies also suggest that they catch fire at lower rates than gasoline vehicles.

I'm fully with you on aesthetic complaints, though. Too many manufacturers try to be bold and different in their designs when adding EVs to their product lines, instead of simply offering minimally-altered electrified variants of what they already have.
There's the weight issue, which ensures that they move ~25% more mass in order to transport that single human around 90% of the time, the efficiency of the battery, charger and power grid in addition to the motor(and the lingering question of when and how thermal power can be phased out), and the environmental cost of manufacturing and disposing of the battery, but I'd be interested in a source that proves the math adds up.
As for catching fire...are we talking about identically up to date models, or comparing the whole ICE pool including all the decades old junk with the EV pool that's basically bling new?

Neenyah

I won't comment about anything in general here because I don't care as I don't have any preference (if it looks nice and drives good I couldn't care less if it's EV or ICE), but I will add that quite a lot of Ferraris and Lambos, all ICEs, were quite happy to catch fire out of nowhere for no specific reason. And those are all cars from the last 8-10 years (Aventador, Huracan, 488, F12 and so on).

DDS

Sol

S.Yu

Quote from: Neenyah on June 13, 2023, 16:44:55I won't comment about anything in general here because I don't care as I don't have any preference (if it looks nice and drives good I couldn't care less if it's EV or ICE), but I will add that quite a lot of Ferraris and Lambos, all ICEs, were quite happy to catch fire out of nowhere for no specific reason. And those are all cars from the last 8-10 years (Aventador, Huracan, 488, F12 and so on).
Interesting to hear, though I didn't come across any news of that sort...

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview