News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Tensor G3: Google Pixel 8 series chipset fails to match the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 in early Geekbench appearance

Started by Redaktion, June 05, 2023, 13:20:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Pixel 8 series will debut later in the year powered by Google's third-gen Tensor chipset. The Tensor G3 appears to have made an early trip over to Geekbench, putting up numbers that indicate worse CPU performance than even last year's Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Tensor-G3-Google-Pixel-8-series-chipset-fails-to-match-the-Snapdragon-8-Gen-1-in-early-Geekbench-appearance.723935.0.html

Damian Lee

When are writers going to stop placing so much emphasis on benchmarks? You USE your phone all day. You don't run benchmark tests on it all day. Even the Tensor G1 is silky smooth and performs excellent in everyday tasks. In addition to it being insanely faster on certain tasks like translations, image processing, real time voice dictation.

Hell I can SING to the voice recorder and it transcribes what I'm singing near instantly and almost perfectly.

My last high end Snapdragon processor couldn't even transcribe me singing, let alone for my normal speaking at anywhere near the rate it does so now.

Andrii

Who cares about these benchmarks? Let's assume it will be 10 times faster in crunching numbers. So what? Will it change anything for you as user? I have "seriously outdated" 870 and still did not find application it could not handle. And, no, I don't play 3D 4K HDR10+  ultra settings games on my phone. I have computer and 27" monitor for that. Another useless article.

Uli Romahn

As the other commenters already said, those benchmarks are completely useless. What is important to me is that all the things I am using my phone for can be done without stuttering and waiting. And my Pixel 7 Pro with the G2 is doing that just fine. It scrolls smoothly, renders everything smoothly and does real-time translation between languages without hesitation. What else do we need?
I am tired of the "always better, always faster" inflation.
Call to hardware manufacturers: stop this and instead focus on other "added value" things. I think Google got this right by focussing on their AI/ML support built in.

Another example: I have yet to find a phone that can work for more than 12 hours without recharging. How about making CPUs and other components that can do that without compromising performance?

Randy chan

For those who says performance benchmarks don't mean much, what about those who are hardcore gamers?

Neenyah

Quote from: Randy chan on June 05, 2023, 22:24:36For those who says performance benchmarks don't mean much, what about those who are hardcore gamers?
Hardcore phone gamers? 🙃 Yeah, gotta have latest and greatest (and the most expensive ofc.) to play dem Subway Surfers 🤘

Technerd

I would take any pre production benchmarks with a grain of salt. The multi core score and the single core score seem off considering the specs of the chip.

I will wait to see real world benchmarks before I judge anything. Also performance of the G2 is pretty good it suffers more from thermal and battery issues than anything else. If Google has solved those issues in this chip then it will be a decent upgrade and I figure the chip will be about 15-20% faster in real life.

Also the GPU is a big upgrade as well as having arm v9.

Google optimizes so much better for Pixel devices and the AI capabilities also improve performance which a Geekbench score doesn't show.

I am looking forward to the Pixel 8 series. Support for ufs 4.0 and lpddr5x should also make a difference.

Greg

These numbers aren't bad at all. They're not far behind the expensive Qualcomm silicon. And Google and pixel fans know that their phones are buttery smooth and prefer battery life and overall software quality coupled with the great camera. And pixel phones are much more affordable than these gargantuan latest Snapdragon flagship processor phones.

Good on Google.

Ry

Damian.. Benchmarks exist. This phone exists..
What do you expect? A full blown review of pre production hardware?
Y'all stupid for real.

Mdubb44

Quote from: Randy chan on June 05, 2023, 22:24:36For those who says performance benchmarks don't mean much, what about those who are hardcore gamers?
Maybe buy a computer? 🤷🏾�♂️

Tomatot

Performance itself is not an issue, what is an issue is its efficiency. And because it's Samsung's fab, it will be awful. Just as a reminder, the only difference in between 8+ gen 1 and the 8 gen 1 is the foundry. Otherwise they have the exact same specs. Yet the performance AND efficiency differences are massive.

So not only Tensor G3 will have poor battery life, but again Pixel users will struggle with overheating.

And I say this owning a Pixel 6 that I otherwise like. Watch this if you don't trust me: /watch?v=s0ukXDnWlTY

poj

In the screenshot containing the geekbench scores the system information does not match the tensor G3 core layout. The tensor G3 is said to have a 4x4x2 layout and the cpu info on the screenshot is 4x4x1. So maybe this screenshot is not the Tensor G3?

LOL

Why are people surprised? Tensor is nothing more than a rebadged Exynos. Remember those terrible Exynos chips? Even Samsung has stopped using them in its flagship Galaxy phones. Has Samsung suddenly stopped making Exynos chips? Take a wild guess where they went to...

However, unlike Samsung, Google is actually capable of gaslighting people that 'raw performance isn't everything' while using an inferior chip. And from the responses, it looks like Google has done a good good gaslighting people.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview