News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Asus ROG Ally runs popular console emulators including Xenia for Xbox 360 and RPCS3 for PS3, God of War 3 emulated at 1080p 60 fps thanks to Ryzen Z1's AVX-512 support

Started by Redaktion, May 18, 2023, 11:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

The Asus ROG Ally is capable of handling a host of popular console emulators thanks to AVX-512 support in its Ryzen Z1 APU. The Ally was shown to effectively run popular console emulators — from light ones such as the PPSPP for the PSP to the more complex ones including Xenia for the Xbox 360 and RPCS3 for the PS3.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Ally-runs-popular-console-emulators-including-Xenia-for-Xbox-360-and-RPCS3-for-PS3-God-of-War-3-emulated-at-1080p-60-fps-thanks-to-Ryzen-Z1-s-AVX-512-support.717499.0.html

Anonymousgg

This is a nice payoff for including AVX-512 in Zen 4.

It's also as funny as ever to see an x86 handheld emulating Switch better than Switch.

Green Arm

Why is nobody talking how horrendously bad the battery life is on this thing?

I notice how some people shifting the blame from small battery to running windows.

Both of which are bollocks.

There are x86 windows laptops out there with with similar battery capacity but double the screen size and can get 3-4 hrs running very old games. These aren't even new laptops but ones from 3 years ago on a 10 nm process. This thing can barely hit 3 hrs running 2d indie games on 4 nm.

Beginning to think the power management on this chip is broken on this thing. Or maybe the combination of using a brighter 120 hz panel while running heavy rog armory crate software seriously puts a lot of strain on battery.

On turbo mode this thing has less runtime than running a game off a laptop dGPU. What exactly is the point of going iGPU in the first place?

I actually don't understand the purpose of this handheld. Most people who have showcased it on YouTube so far, did so in turbo mode connected to a charger (because silent mode is unusable and performance mode is like 5 fps more than deck). At that point, if you're gonna be docked all the time, might as well attach external mouse and keyboard since using win 11 is kind of unusable on joysticks. And then it's no longer mobile... You just have a much weaker xbox series s for 3x as much.

Hopefully, it's just a case of initial BIOS/firmware being in a very alpha state and future updates improve the battery runtimes -- but not really holding my breath for any significant improvements.

I've no doubt this thing will sell, just like the deck did -- but not because these are actually good devices and more because nobody wants to pay 3.5k for an rtx 4080 laptop or 2k for a laptop with 8 gb vram which will be outdated within 6 months.

This does make me more excited for the future upcoming mediatek soc with nvidia rtx licensed gpu core and switch 2. They don't even necessarily need to even beat phoenix, if they can reach similar performance at much less power and cheaper price, it should do well.

Recent rtx 4000 gpu's are insanely efficient. Saw a 100w rtx 4060 laptop only using 30w when under 77% load. And we know GDDR6 is very power hungry. Using less cores, lower clockspeed, with lpddr5 -- I can see close to 35w rtx 3050 perf in a future arm nvidia soc. Maybe even reaching rtx 3060 perf with dlss3, which we've seen superior to fsr when upscaling from lower resolutions.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview