News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad P16v: Affordable Workstation ThinkPad receives 16:10 redesign

Started by Redaktion, May 09, 2023, 16:40:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

P16v instead of P15v: One of the last ThinkPad models that still used 16:9 models makes the transition to 16:10. Part of this transition is a completely new design. The new ThinkPad P16v looks very similar to the ThinkPad P16, with top base hinges and a dual fan cooling system. The ThinkPad P16v is also upgraded to Ada GPUs.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P16v-Affordable-Workstation-ThinkPad-receives-16-10-redesign.716248.0.html

Michał

Shame on USB ports. Only two USB A on the right, none on the left. Not everyone has space to plug USB C at the back.

Embedded engineers need USB ports.

kuro68k

If they made this with a Ryzen and the same ports/expandability it would be quite interesting. Assuming the price was reasonable.

meffo

800 NITS UHD screen, 2xnvme 2xddr5 slots and sdcard.
yes an AMD cpu might have been nice , but this actually looks halfway decent

I would love to see the 800 nits screen go under review

Neenyah

mezhgano

Hope it's gets proper review by notebookcheck team, especially the AMD version.
Quote from: Neenyah on August 21, 2023, 02:56:42
Quote from: meffo on August 21, 2023, 01:28:17yes an AMD cpu might have been nice

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_P16v_Gen_1_AMD
Thanks for the link, does it mean they already been released on the market? Its hard to find any.

Neenyah

Quote from: mezhgano on September 08, 2023, 17:39:50Thanks for the link, does it mean they already been released on the market? Its hard to find any.
Judging by the past experiences I don't think it will be available at all before November, that's the usual problem with AMD, unfortunately 😐

nottechcanis

Does anyone know why it's been cited by Notebookcheck in their review that the P15V Gen 3 models are the last that have 1.8mm key travel when thinkstation dash specs dot com says 1.5mm for both Intel and AMD sub-series?

Does anyone have any idea why they gave the PnnV series one more iteration with the old physical design whereas they switched the Pnn and PnnS one gen sooner?

Benjamin Herzig

It is a wrong information on thinkstationspecs.com. The P15v was introduced in 2020 and it carried the same design without redesign from Gen 1 to Gen 3. And Gen 1 and Gen 2 are listed with 1.8 mm travel keyboards on thinkstationspecs.com, and based on my hands on experience with it, Gen 3 model clearly does still have a 1.8 mm travel keyboard.

Designing laptops is expensive, as it costs a lot of money to develop new designs and fit the tooling in the factory for the new model. So keeping the old design longer here was probably done for cost reasons. The P15v/P16v is, after all, the affordable/low price model compared with the P16.

nottechcanis

I suspected as much re T/S/S.com etc.

These seem to be the others with 1.8mm:
P1/X1 Extreme through Gen 3 with Intel 10th.
P15s, P15, P17 through Gen 2 with Intel 11th.
P14s(i) through Gen 2 with Intel 11th.
P14s(a) through Gen 2 with AMD 5th.
Probably the parallel T series to some of the above have 1.8mm but IIRC in some cases the equivalent T didn't offer a UHD display option so that's why focusing on P, although maybe this is just now changing, with poor RGB becoming less common on T even for 1920x1200 res and with decent 2560x1600 perhaps becoming the mainstream baseline.

Unless I missed something it looks like the P15v Gen 3 (a and i) and the T15p Gen 3 (just i) are the only subseries with 1.8mm that got to Intel 12th or AMD 6th.

I really just want the electronics and display of a P15v or P1 or Legion inside one of my old T520 units --- heck they are big and heavy enough to contain a full bore P15 --- but coming back to earth I wonder if a decade from now I'll just have a single laptop for travel like my X1 Carbon (by then the Intel 23rd gen model), a tablet, a phone, and a mini desktop to sit on my desk with any keyboard and trackball or mouse I want. Sigh.

Thanks much for the advice and keep up the excellent work, it's invaluable stuff.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview