News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Lenovo updates workstations with Ada GPUs: ThinkPad P1 Gen 6, ThinkPad P16 Gen 2 and P14s Gen 4 / P16s Gen 2

Started by Redaktion, May 09, 2023, 15:12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

Lenovo is releasing an updated 2023 workstation portfolio. While the T series based P14s and P16s receive a upgrade to the Ampere based RTX A500, ThinkPad P1 Gen 6 and P16 Gen 2 will feature Ada Lovelace chips. Apart from the new GPUs, there are new screen options, an increased amount of RAM and PCIe 5 SSDs for the P16.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-updates-workstations-with-Ada-GPUs-ThinkPad-P1-Gen-6-ThinkPad-P16-Gen-2-and-P14s-Gen-4-P16s-Gen-2.716234.0.html

RobertJasiek

The ThinkPad P1 G6, which might have a vapor chamber and low noise again, was on my list until now:
- tiny arrow keys
- probably no mechanical keyboard
As expected. These manufacturers never learn.

usacomputer

Lenovo was wrong and must have bet on AMD ZEN 4 7040 Phoenix = DDR5 + RDNA 3 + USB 4.0 + HDMI 2.1 + artificial intelligence with XDNA architecture developed by Xilinx and everything at 4nm vs 10nm from Intel.
LG has very thin and light ultrabooks impossible to get the most out of 10nm intel that consumes more power and gets very hot.
Hopefully they update to AMD ZEN 4 7040 Phoenix

broohaha

Wow, Lenovo is determined to ruin the Thinkpad brand.

First they destroy the keyboard experience and now you can't get a non-OLED 100% PCI-D3 IPS option for the P1 series. I can't remember if they removed that option with the gen 5, but not everyone wants OLED but I guess they at least offer it with the P16. I'm also shocked that they still haven't figured out how to include a second ssd slot for (P1) models with vapor chamber cooling like other companies, but I guess they are committed to using this design philosophy for a few years. Yeah, Lenovo truly sucks at this point.

I'll either move to a Lenovo Slim Pro 9 gen 8 or Framework 16 (depending on its specs) to get a true pro experience. I'm done with Thinkpads and their gradual decline into mediocrity.

Neenyah

Quote from: broohaha on May 10, 2023, 17:42:59Wow, Lenovo is determined to ruin the Thinkpad brand.

First they destroy the keyboard experience and now you can't get a non-OLED 100% PCI-D3 IPS option for the P1 series. I can't remember if they removed that option with the gen 5...
I'm sorry, what are you talking about? Please visit P1 Gen 5 on Lenovo's PSREF psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_P1_Gen_5, then hit "Specifications", then "Display" (under "Design"); quite literally all available options are IPS, ranging from 300 nits 1200p to 600 nits 2400p. There is no OLED panel.

Broohaha

Quote from: Neenyah on May 10, 2023, 18:32:30
Quote from: broohaha on May 10, 2023, 17:42:59Wow, Lenovo is determined to ruin the Thinkpad brand.

First they destroy the keyboard experience and now you can't get a non-OLED 100% PCI-D3 IPS option for the P1 series. I can't remember if they removed that option with the gen 5...
I'm sorry, what are you talking about? Please visit P1 Gen 5 on Lenovo's PSREF psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_P1_Gen_5, then hit "Specifications", then "Display" (under "Design"); quite literally all available options are IPS, ranging from 300 nits 1200p to 600 nits 2400p. There is no OLED panel.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about the lack of an IPS option that offers 100% coverage of one of the wide color gamuts (DCI-P3 or Adobe RGB) in the P1 gen 6 yet an option is offered for the p16 Gen 2.  I only mentioned the P1 gen 5 because I couldn't remember if that generation was when they removed it in favor of OLED.

Neenyaah

Quote from: Broohaha on May 11, 2023, 02:42:18What am I talking about? I'm talking about the lack of an IPS option that offers 100% coverage of one of the wide color gamuts (DCI-P3 or Adobe RGB)...
My apologies buddy, it seems that reading (and commenting) on phone when being dead-tired is a receipt for missing crucial parts, my bad 🙏 And yes I agree with you, it's a very weird decision from Lenovo.

Quote from: Waynae Carsch on May 12, 2023, 12:56:13Where is X1 extreme gen6?
Won't happen, they killed the line as it's essentially the same thing as the P1 series and there is no reason to keep both now when they have Z16 in offer.

wayne carsch

I am disappointed.
There are many types of workstasion, so I wanted the P1 to be discontinued and the X1 to remain.

Chee

The P1 and X1 Extreme share the same chassis.  They were just offered with different GPUs and in some configurations, overlapped.

NikoB

Quote from: RobertJasiek on May 09, 2023, 20:06:14tiny arrow keys
This is not the main problem of all modern keyboards from their business series - they are terrible not for this, but for the Esc, F1..F12 narrowed in height, which destroy the ergonomics of inputs for professionals who work a lot with code.

And in 15.6+ models, the numpad keys are narrower in width.

Until they return to the classic keyboard, which is close in size to the desktop buttons, there will be no sense.

13-14" models can only be considered as portable system units - it is physically impossible to work quickly with their keyboards without a numpad and a small non-ergonomic screen. It is more important there as many expansion ports with direct access without adapters and as quiet as possible cooling system from the PSU, with an average speed chips.

Throwing Lenovo in an attempt to sell these series (much less reliable than the same series 10-15 years ago) and simultaneously sell Legion (with reduced capabilities since 2023 for marketing reasons) lead to sad consequences. Lenovo's sales fell in 2022 by as much as 54% compared to 2021, and it has slipped from the first place on the planet in the production of PC / laptops to the 3rd one.

And of course, the lack of 10 bits 4k@120-144Hz panels with a color coverage of 100% DCI-P3 and at least 95% AdobeRGB at the same time with a fast response (<7ms for G2G/B2W) and a high refresh rate on IPS will, of course, disappoint professionals working with color.

I would like the industry to work together to finally invest in microLED, so that finally there are screens with a response like that of AMOLED (1-3ms on B2W / G2G), but matte, with 8k resolution (400+ ppi) and high-frequency PWM and real native contrast from 100,000:1, as in the best versions of AMOLED. And of course with full Rec.2020 coverage (or better, of course, ProPhoto color space).

With a burn-in resource of at least 20k hours, up to 50% loss of brightness, which initially can reach at ABL>=70%, at least 1500 nits if necessary. And time-stable (after calibration) accurate color reproduction, unlike chronic problems on all AMOLEDs.

We've all been waiting for normal screens for 20 years... but they still don't exist...

RobertJasiek

Quote from: NikoB on June 10, 2023, 15:17:21This is not the main problem of all modern keyboards from their business series - they are terrible not for this, but for the Esc, F1..F12 narrowed in height, which destroy the ergonomics of inputs for professionals who work a lot with code.

And in 15.6+ models, the numpad keys are narrower in width.

Apparently usage differs. Except for Enter, mine emphasises 1) arrow keys (ca. 10,000 times per day), 2) numpad and page navigation keys, 3) main keys, 4) function row keys (typically a few dozen times per day). I can, however, easily understand that others can have heavy usage of function row keys and place it at (1).

QuoteUntil they return to the classic keyboard, which is close in size to the desktop buttons, there will be no sense.

Ok.

Neenyah

Quote from: NikoB on June 10, 2023, 15:17:2113-14" models can only be considered as portable system units - it is physically impossible to work quickly with their keyboards without a numpad...

You have that weird "I'm not hungry so hunger doesn't exist anywhere in the world" way to communicate.

If you could realize that not everyone on this planet shares your same identical POVs and that many people can't actually work quickly WITH NUMPAD because they don't need it, so they go for TKL or 60% then you would, maybe, stop fetishizing that numpad and forcing that narrative into every single comment around here.

Personally, I'm avoiding getting laptop with numpad so I have my X1 Carbon with full-sized (sans-numpad) keyboard and for my desktop PC I also have my trusted ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard II (lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/4y40x49493) that has no numpad (😱). And check this now - I work with them perfectly fine, I do my job, I earn money to finance my life and family and I also play CSGO on FACEIT where I also earn money from playing... all without numpad. Shocker, isn't it?

You can also go to r/Workspaces/ and r/keyboards/ and see how many of those people actually use numpad. Very few. Yet they do their work and live their lives just fine. Hell if they asked you, HHKB (happyhackingkb.com) would be left with no option but to just quit their business because they don't have numpad despite their legendary status in community.

NikoB

It is an indisputable fact that for professional developers and many scientific and engineering professions - the absence of a numpad is like death. The efficiency and speed of entering code and data drops tenfold.

Neenyah

Sounds more like having troubles (or nerve damage) with inaccuracy to control your own fingers but ok.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview