News:

Willkommen im Notebookcheck.com Forum! Hier können sie über alle unsere Artikel und allgemein über Notebook relevante Dinge disuktieren. Viel Spass!

Main Menu

Leak suggests GMK will first launch AMD R9 7940H mini PCs this May, Minisforum and Asus to follow suit shortly

Started by Redaktion, April 27, 2023, 14:07:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Redaktion

According to the GMK's leaked slides, the first mini PCs powered by AMD's Ryzen 7 7840H and Ryzen 9 7940H APUs should launch in just a few weeks. The spec sheet shows that the Radeon 780M iGPU will benefit from LPDDR5x-7500 RAM in capacities of up to 256 GB. Minisforum, Morefine and Asus are also expected to launch similar configurations in June-July.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Leak-suggests-GMK-will-first-launch-AMD-R9-7940H-mini-PCs-this-May-Minisforum-and-Asus-to-follow-suit-shortly.710253.0.html

NikoB

Using soldered memory on an SoC with a neurochip is a losing strategy in advance. The RAM required for such some really useful calculations is at least 128GB.

At the moment, the memory is too expensive, but soon it will fall in price by 10 times. Therefore, buying laptops and miniPCs with 32-64GB soldered will soon become an obvious bad long-term investment.

Of course everything is decided by the price.

As well as ergonomic comfort - it is most likely impossible to put a huge radiator weighing more than 0.5kg with a 140mm+ cooler in a piniPK. This means that they will either be too weak in PL1/PL2 or too noisy (and we need silent ones).

The author incorrectly writes about 256GB support in lpddr5 mode, in reality, such a configuration is usually limited to half the declared size, i.e. The maximum will be 128 most likely. And 256GB is available there on 2 modules of 128 in expansion slots. Which are just coming up for sale.

Bogdan Solca

Quote from: NikoB on April 27, 2023, 14:29:08The author incorrectly writes about 256GB support in lpddr5 mode, in reality, such a configuration is usually limited to half the declared size, i.e. The maximum will be 128 most likely. And 256GB is available there on 2 modules of 128 in expansion slots. Which are just coming up for sale.
It does not say anything about non-LPDDR support in the spec slide, so I assumed 256 GB is the total capacity for LPDDR5x.

NikoB

I use the analogy with the previous series - it claims to support 64GB, but only 32GB in lpddrX memory mode always, for a number of reasons. Most likely, it's exactly the same here - on 2 slots with 2 х 128 modules (in the future, 384 with 192GB modules), and in the soldered version, no more than 128(64х2).

For normal work, this seems to be a monstrously large amount, but not for the operation of neural networks - for them 128GB is the minimum amount for a neural network with a serious level of complexity. If I guess correctly from the emerging trend, soon even 256GB will seem like a relic of the past, sort of like Bill Gates once said that 640Kb is enough for everyone. The question is what is enough for and for what tasks.

Complex local (autonomous) neural networks will quickly require tens of terabytes of operational for their structures.

Apparently, in the near future, mass production of multilayer RAM will begin, with a capacity that exceeds the current levels familiar to ordinary people by orders of magnitude...

abc

I personally would go soldiered LPDDR5X because I prefer the extra speed than having the option of upgrading RAM, knowing that it will never be as fast as the LPDDR5X. I'd just buy a 32 GB version (more than enough for my needs) and get it over with.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview